Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Interesting" road bike for a grand

Cycle to work scheme has started at work. Currently got a Cotic Soul, Cotic Roadrat and an oldish Giant OCR which I picked up for a £100. Ride the OCR now and again and have done a few TTs just for fun on it.

I'm torn between taking advantage of c2W scheme because it would be daft not to given that it's a really cheap way of buying a bike and not bothering because I don't really need another bike.

If I was to do it then I'd be looking to replace the OCR. Could go out and get a Trek/Giant/Specialized road bike but wondered if there's anything a bit more interesting at that price point that I haven't thought of. Had a look at Condor and quite like the look of some of their lower end bikes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

JonMack | 14 years ago
0 likes

Has to be said, I've had my Boardman TC about 3 weeks and I'm in love with it. I bought it out right but if you can get it through C2W it will be even better value for money!

manonabike | 14 years ago
0 likes

I joined my company cycle to work scheme and bought the Boardman single speed, cracking bike for the cash as it is costing me far less than the £500 shop price. They can order in different brands as well as the Carreras etc that they knock out by the dozens. Te staff were quite helpful however I had to adjust my bike once I got it home - brakes not right and everything just needing tightening up before I set off. Would definately buy a geared Boardman given the chance.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

One thing to bear in mind is that you do get a lot of bang per buck when you buy a bike from one of the big brands simply because of their economies of scale, then again I agree that the lower end of the Condor range looks pretty good too - as a rule they are always well thought out bikes.

Kinesis is another brand you might want to take a look at they supply them as framesets so not sure how that would work out when it comes to buying under the cycle to work scheme, but you might well find one for sale as a shop build or perhaps be able to spec a complete bike for £1000 through a participating shop - might be more of an issue if your company is with the Halfords scheme.

Pretty much every bike brand is doing a bike targetted at the cycle to work scheme market, other brands worth a look are Viner:, Wilier, Felt, Cube, and Genesis - their Equilibrium looked very impressive and is targetted at the cycle to work market) http://road.cc/content/news/8688-singlespeeds-and-steel-stars-genesis-20.... If you are company is with the Halfords scheme then you won't go far wrong with the Boardman Team Carbon - which looks to be a helluva bike for just under a grand http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html

Latest Comments