Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Wheels Rant

An old adage goes: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."...... As you'll see below, I don't strictly hold with this way of thinking.

I am currently undergoing an emotional dilemma, the bubbly nervous euphoria of having spent money on something shiny, tempered with the stormy frustration of knowing that I've already got one. Only it doesn't work (because, admittedly, of my own stupidity). But, should be easily repairable if only the world's biggest manufacturer / distributer of bike parts could manage to deliver an order in less than three and a half months (and bl**dy counting)!

Yes, Madison Cycles, I'm talking about you! I only wanted six spokes! I have tried every bike shop online or otherwise that I can find, and they all source their parts through you. My LBS has had these on order with you for well over three months! Are you shipping them over from Japan by bicycle? Caravanserai? Dirigible?

The wheel was still rideable until last week, when one of the spokes snapped. Now I've bought a new, similar wheelset.

Any other fools have trouble like this from these fools? Or is this fool the only fool? Pity the fool! Crazy fool!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

xanboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I just logged on to Shimano's website and checked the part code for your spoke which is 4C4 9810
This is the same spoke used on the R560 wheel
They are in stock at Madison and retail for £2.99 each including nipple and washer.
It took me all of 5 minutes don't know who you have been using, but it wasn't hard to get this info.  4

gandberg replied to xanboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

actually lives on Myndd Mawr then they don't even have real currency there (daffodils, I think) let alone Olde Bik-e Shoppes, and their information superhighway is still just a muddy cart track next to the babbling brook.....  3

purplecup replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

Get you boys!  1  1  1

still, i'd expect xanboy to know his way round madison, what with being a cervelo/genesis rider and living just down the road from stanmore... coincidence?  19

rottwieller | 15 years ago
0 likes

What model of wheel is it??

Front or rear wheel??

Drive side on none drive side??

If its a shimano wheel the code should be on the hub

Mynydd.Mawr replied to rottwieller | 15 years ago
0 likes

Rottweiler; Please see the second pargraph of my latest post (the one that was there for around 10 days or so before you posted yours).

Xanboy; Please check out this link:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports...

It seems the part number is Y-4BE98150  4 And if you can prize any of them from the grasping hands of Madison cycles, then fair play to you.

And what's wrong with daffodils or babbling brooks??

Peace and Love......

Mr Sock replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

… not so keen on brooks though  22

Mynydd.Mawr replied to Mr Sock | 15 years ago
0 likes

What about daffodils?

purplecup replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

i reckon xanboy's right, at least in the sense that the R560 spoke looks like a dead ringer for the R550 spoke, even if the product code is different. and Madison do have those in stock...

Mynydd.Mawr replied to purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

And thus I extend a wholehearted apology to Xanboy. The new wheelset I bought (which is pleasingly shiny and silver, with the added bonus of having a round rear wheel) is the R 561, and they are very similar. Away to my bike shop at the weekend to see if they can rustle up the spokes to bring the original wheel back to the straight and narrow, and to ask them why they didn't think of this.....

Now what to do with a spare set of wheels?

Denzil Dexter replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes
Mynydd.Mawr wrote:

Now what to do with a spare set of wheels?

Time to get a spare frame, and maybe some running gear, and a fork.

And a saddle  39

gandberg replied to Denzil Dexter | 15 years ago
0 likes

however, with the back, follow the preaching of Dexter and cyclings very dios, Mr Brown (not Gordy) and create a very special beast indeed:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem-build.html

Inspirational stuff. Take it on a tour with Mankind and Mr. Socko, to the Dutch bulb fields. Tulips are so much better than daffs, and you could pop into 'Dam (Amster, not Jean Claude - anyway, isnt he a friggin evil Belgian?) for a scmoke and a pancahke.... B)

purplecup replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

sounds like you need to make yourself one of these...

Denzil Dexter replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

But, one of my colleagues in the lab has pointed out the potential flaw…with the er donor wheel we are starting out with.

"When using wheels built for solo bicycles, 630 mm (27") or 622 mm (700c) wheels are likely to be unsatisfactory for tandem use. Mountain-bike wheels in the normal 559 mm (26") size will give good service, if they are of good quality. If you are using three-speeds, the better older 590 mm (26 x 1 3/8) wheels can also give good service in light duty."

Says Sheldon Brown.

What about a unicycle? That's an interesting beast too…

Mynydd.Mawr replied to Denzil Dexter | 15 years ago
0 likes

I like the way Denzil thinks.... anyone got a spare frame going? (and forks, saddle etc.)?

dave atkinson replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

...and possibly a stem. Well, it's a start.  1

Mynydd.Mawr replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

as I could easily stop for a hot snack if hunger set in..

gandberg replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

would the yokels make of such curios as fire round your way?

and as for the potatoes cooking, if you got cold on top of your Mawr, stuff a hot spud down your bib and warm your own spuds, or even place them in your shoes (heated spd/spuds anyone?)

Tangents are great, this thread has sprouted many!

thebikeboy replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

to try and grow a bike from your back wheel - though I suppose if it wasn't a tandem we were growing you could use the front one as well. You've already got the saddle and a stem. What size frame do you ride?

If you went singlespeed or fixed it would be even easier. Okay, maybe not to ride up and down Welsh hills but…

Mr Sock replied to thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Are we building this bike or not?

gandberg replied to Mr Sock | 15 years ago
0 likes

doesnt want to build this community vehicle, I'll have a good old go! Been keen on a singlespeed/fixed wheel for ages now and the cheaper the better.

The 205 Rallye has passed her mot now too so the spanners are sitting, looking idle and folorn...

So any old 58cm frames / running gear about, get in touch  1

Tony Farrelly replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

a 58cm frame we'd be up for it, but we don't  2

Anybody else out there got one?

Mynydd.Mawr replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

My local bike shop finally got the spokes in sometime over X-mas...... and didn't bother to call me! Makes me feel rather viciously happy that I got my new wheels from Chainreactioncycles, my new LBS without the BS (Gods bless t'interweb)!

dave atkinson replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

always nice to have a spare set of wheels knocking about  1

xanboy replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

Hi Mynydd.Mawr, not sure what colour you need. The code above is for a Silver spoke, if you want a black one you could use part number 4CD 9810, which is a 561 rear spoke and should do the job for you. The original part number which is a black spoke, is due in with Madison next week.
Happy riding  1

Mr Sock replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 15 years ago
0 likes

I like them!

Can't wait to see some.

In the verges, rather than Tescos

purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

can't say i have but bad service just sucks whenever you get it. last time i moved house it took orange three weeks to switch the broadband over, and on top of that they charged me the best part of £100 to pick up my email on my phone because THEY COULDN"T SORT THE BL**DY WIRES OUT. And then you can't complain because the phone people don't give a toss about the broadband people, and vice versa. GRRRRRR  14  14  14  14  14

aaaaah, that feels better.

what kind of spokes were they anyway?

Mynydd.Mawr replied to purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

I hear you! It is kind of cathartic isn't it? Sometimes I wish I was John Cleese; he can do angry shouting pretty much all the time and get away with it.

WH R550-R spokes 276mm from the drive side (some poor adjusting of the derailleur). I know it's an old wheelset, and not particularly expensive, but for such a big company you'd think they'd have a couple lying around...

Latest Comments