Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

M&S cycling chinos

Received mine yesterday and wore them on my commute this morning. First impressions are good - they fit well, are stretchy enough, the poppers to tighten the ankles work well, the reflective details are subtle enough. Can't comment on the showerproof-ness as it was dry.

Two big plus points: they only cost £39.50 and they come in larger sizes. I have no idea how they compare to similar offerings from Rapha or Vulpine, for example, but as I can neither afford nor fit into them it's not a comparison I can make. Maybe one of the cycling magazines or website will review them but maybe M&S haven't sent any out - until yesterday they weren't even being sold as cycling specific even though there's a big label inside that says "Cycling Chinos".

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Dizzy, if you order online you can always send them back or return to a store if they don't fit (provided they are still as new etc).

I think I'll buy a pair. I wonder how different the cut is to the normal water resistant ones that are £10 cheaper:
http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-cotton-active-waistband-flat-front-c...

For Bez and other lanky types M&S do 'Big & Tall' cut of the above water resistant chinos:
http://www.marksandspencer.com/big-and-tall-active-waistband-pure-cotton...
Not the same but might be worth a look.

Dr_Lex replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Dizzy, if you order online you can always send them back or return to a store if they don't fit (provided they are still as new etc).
[...]

I did this - sadly the cut was not suitable (minimal taper from seat to waist), so will continue with the cheap Union34 trousers until "summer" (or the slightly warmer, less rainy period) arrives. Also disappointed that not gusseted for greater comfort in the saddle.

Dizzy | 10 years ago
0 likes

I asked in my local M&S, they not heard of them, but checked 'the system' & found them.
they have no plans to stock them, but will order them in I paid in advance?
As I have no idea what size i'd need, and am pretty sure they;d be too short in the leg, I declined the offer & said i'd try the bigger store in Brighton!

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

They look suspiciously like the slacks you see at the back of the Sunday papers, right next to the zip up insulated boots and hearing aids.

I will be taking a trip into sparks to have a look at them in person though.

snappyandrew replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well?

Simon_MacMichael | 10 years ago
0 likes

The day I buy beige trousers with an elasticated waist will be the day I sell the Colnago and join the local bowls club.

I'm not planning on that happening any time soon...

Bhachgen replied to Simon_MacMichael | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

The day I buy beige trousers with an elasticated waist will be the day I sell the Colnago and join the local bowls club.

I'm not planning on that happening any time soon...

You're in luck then - they also do them in "Graphite". Which is exactly the same as "carbon". Trust me on this I have a Physics A-level...

monkeytrousers | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got a link? I can't be bothered to look for myself. I'm supposed to be working!  3

EDIT - why didn't I read the 1st post properly!!!!!!  40

Bez | 10 years ago
0 likes

As usual, "larger sizes" means larger waists, not longer legs. Useless for me.

IanD | 10 years ago
0 likes

Carefully thought out details - "An elasticated waist allows for growth and promises extra comfort". Obviously thinking of the cake stops.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just had to look them up, they look like most of the drawer full of golfing trousers I have  3

Here is the link to save people searching

http://www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-rich-active-waistband-tapered-leg-...

Latest Comments