Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

why do so many people have it in for team sky ?

what is it about team sky that so many people have a beef about ?
considering they have given us a british tdf winner in wiggo , why do they seem to garner so much opprobrium, ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyone supporting a "team" where the only involvement they can have is paying to watch them or buying the kit, regardless of the sport, needs a good long look at themselves.

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Which is why I said favourite, not support.

Surely people like a rider, bike, etc or even the DS.

What is the point in watching sport if you couldn't care less what happens?

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wasn't responding directly to your suggestion. As an aside though, watching sport without an interest in the outcome happens for most of the Olympics.

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

I could have been a bit clearer anyway. I certainly do have riders, people involved, etc that I do like for whatever reason, wether it's because of the way they ride, their charisma, whatever it may be so I get your point totally.

I just meant that the team is just a business structure and anyone supporting - or in line with this thread, hating - one is just odd. My local football team may be Arsenal, but they don't represent me in anyway so I don't feel any allegiance to them. I have a cycle club I'm a member of though, and a lot of club mates race. I support them, I ride with them, they're people I know who bring respect to the club who's colours wear.

As much as I like watching Sagan or Voight, I can't feel the same way.

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

PR bullsh!t, lies, total focus on one race, disrespecting World Champs jersey, disrespecting the best sprinter in the world, disrespecting the TdF Champion, giving 2 fingers to the sport's traditions, boring racing.

I know other teams are guilty of some of these (especially lies) - but then other teams don't spout a load of PR guff about running a zero tolerance team whilst employing a notoriously dodgy doctor (not to mention other staff members and riders with ties to doping).

Not trolling BTW, just answering the question as to why I don't like Team Sky.

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe it's because Team Sky are backed by one of the world's largest media companies and therefore their riders have to do PR appearances on cheesy daytime tv shows...

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/25402774/bradley-wiggins

Super Domestique replied to Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

I wasn't responding directly to your suggestion. As an aside though, watching sport without an interest in the outcome happens for most of the Olympics.

Fair enough.

Didn't mean to sound touchy.

Good point I guess on the Olympics but then following the road race (Cycling) I jumped on a plane to escape when it was here!

Leviathan replied to Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

Anyone supporting a "team" where the only involvement they can have is paying to watch them or buying the kit, regardless of the sport, needs a good long look at themselves.

As all professional sport is fundamentally founded on people's desire to watch it and to pay via tickets/television subscriptions and advertisements/sponsorship, your attitude is very perplexing and at odds with what the majority of people think. Your apathy to 'support' may be based in an apathy towards Association Football. As few as thirty people might actually play for the club, but the club would not exist in its current form without the tens of thousands who pay to see them and the millions who pay to watch through television. Alan Davies would probably be unhappy to be told that his involvement with Arsenal is inadequate and he needs a 'good long look at' himself. I suggest that this attitude would take us back to 19th century amateurism.
As the only involvement most people CAN have is paying to watch them or buying the kit your statement is just illogical.

Sport is Culture. People pay for Culture. You wouldn't tell someone to go and join a band instead of buying an album or going to a concert, not everyone is capable of being a musician/being a professional athlete.

Meanwhile I just haven't got time to respond to how stupid and prejudice Gkam's comments are. It has been thoroughly covered above. Some people here project a lot and assume other people will think what they think; when you have a negative opinion you'll soon find out you are probably wrong, haters gotta hate.

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Any interesting poll would be which is your favourite team I guess.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Eurosport is not free on Sky, because you have to have the News package, which, when added to the standard package is £1 extra month  103

allez neg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I always thought he was the least likeable of the A Team too.

snappyandrew | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't mind the riders even have man-love for Wiggins but the reason is one word

Murdoch*

*sings The Internationale with Scouse accent

s_lim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cycling is funny - I mean, do you get behind teams or riders? OGE seem to be genuinely a 'Team', were the rest all seem to be very centred around their best riders; Cannondale being a perfect example of this.

Sky - not a huge fan, but I really like riders like Ian Stannard (who was on for big things on the cobbles this year), Geraint Thomas, Pete Kennaugh, Richie Porte & Bradley Wiggins - guys who are open with the public about their performances and are very human.

For my tuppenceworth, I think the Tour will be much more open this year - noone from Sky has looked close to the same level as last year, and Contador & Valverde have been hugely impressive. It may show a more human side to their riding, but then again, the detractors will just point at failure...

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone really support trade teams anyway?

It's not like football or even F1.

I have no opinion on sky whatsoever, other than, after investing sponsorship in cycling.....why the hell don't they cover it!

mrmo replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

I have no opinion on sky whatsoever, other than, after investing sponsorship in cycling.....why the hell don't they cover it!

Glad they don't, Eurosport is free, Sky whichever wouldn't be and you can be certain different events would be on different channels.

spin sugar replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:
Flying Scot wrote:

Glad they don't, Eurosport is free, Sky whichever wouldn't be and you can be certain different events would be on different channels.

They are making inroads...TdR is being shown on Sky Sports 4 this week.

glynr36 replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:
Flying Scot wrote:

Eurosport is not free.

mrmo replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

Eurosport is not free.

On the basis i have to pay Virgin for my Cable package your right, on the basis that i pay no extra to get Eurosport as part of that package your wrong. I can easily argue that no live TV is free as you have to pay for a TV Licence.

I am aware you have to pay for the streamed version of Eurosport.

surly_by_name replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:
glynr36 wrote:

Eurosport is not free.

On the basis i have to pay Virgin for my Cable package your right, on the basis that i pay no extra to get Eurosport as part of that package your wrong. I can easily argue that no live TV is free as you have to pay for a TV Licence.

I am aware you have to pay for the streamed version of Eurosport.

No television station that carries advertisment is free (and those that don't aren't either, as they require some form of tax to exist), you are paying with your time. (I guess you could argue that you can make it free by recording and fast forwarding through the ads - which is a threat to the traditional TV business model.)

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

People don't like them because they stood up and told the establishment what they were going to do, the old guard laugh and gently shake their heads....But dam they only did it...twice. Egg on face for some. People don't like change, things evolve and sky have done that and it works..for GC. It will catch them up, it is inevitable, as riders move on they tell their teams what they did, the teams will train that way too, Contador said after last years TdF, 'I know what I have to do now, train like sky' that says it all, and doesn't Bertie look good this year.
I can't stand Alex Ferguson, but I respect him awesome coach his record speaks for itself. The same as for sky love them or hate them, you have to respect them, if you don't then your not a cycling fan and can't see past the jersey.

northstar | 9 years ago
0 likes

The sky fans sure are getting worked up over apparently nothing...

VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

1. With all their cash they tend to hold a few top riders of other nations we would liek to see home I.E. PORTE.
2.The Main reason, cause the way they dominated the peleton made the GT's or any tour they contest boring, Cause they would win TT, then proceed to kill the peleton with WATTAGE power at front. I.E. Porte and Froome for Wiggo.

Thats my guess.
Oh and
3.I am Australian they are BRITISH:) Even if Wiggo is Half Aussie.lol.

700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the evidence on this forum is that actually people don't all have it in for team Sky - at least, people are prepared to stick up from

But ironically, setting themselves up as a clean cycling team with very high standards attracts closer scrutiny & criticism than others get, so the minute they reveal themselves as fallible, they get more criticism.

I'm glad they have this approach. The sport needs it.

I also don't believe they are secretive - not any more than other teams.. Yes there are topics they are sensitive about, but I feel they've taken reasonable steps to be open - the endless media briefings, release of detailed performance data, even embedding a skeptical Sunday Times journalist for a season.

Perhaps some don't like them as a 'Johnny-come-lately' team, applying science with possibly a boring approach to quash the opposition, (although you could hardly accuse Froome as being a boring rider). Perhaps those people long for the good old days of shoddy testing, cover-ups, Omertas and suspiscious and incredible displays of speed each and every mountain stage!

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

' I just don't like the way Sky came in and decided everything and everyone should do things their way or not at all.'

They didn't. HTH.

benji p replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

' I just don't like the way Sky came in and decided everything and everyone should do things their way or not at all.'

They didn't. HTH.

I have to agree with you, andy, they didn't.

Sometimes, Gkam, you post something like that, and well, your intention might not be to 'be a troll', but the comment is, well, an 'off the cuff remark' with no explanation behind it? The comment seems inflammatory, generic, 'crazy'. Why do you spew things out like that and not provide the reasons why you say that?

If you did, you might enlighten us and provoke a thoughtful conversation. I mean, I don't think you're necessarily dumb, but sometimes you sound dumb when you spew things out like that

For the life of me, I can't see how you're 'helping others' when you post comments like the one above.

I do believe you can be a troll without being aware that you are acting like one, and when you throw out comments like that, instead of a thoughtful discussion, people end up thinking, 'why did this man post this inflammatory, crazy, unsubstantiated' comment?

I hate to harp on you, but I do believe you're not stupid. I just wish you would put more thought into your posts and think, am I just asking for attention or truly contributing to a good discussion?

Sometimes I think you just don't care as long as you get whatever it is you have to say off your chest.

I just hate inflammatory comments and 'trolling', whether deliberate or not. There are some mighty fine writers and commentors here and I wish they could be heard over some of the inane chatter.

Super Domestique replied to benji p | 9 years ago
0 likes
benji p wrote:

I just hate inflammatory comments and 'trolling', whether deliberate or not. There are some mighty fine writers and commentors here and I wish they could be heard over some of the inane chatter.

One of the most insightful comments for a while I'd say.

Very true too.

Plus I will reiterate that I miss some of the 'old guard' on here.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it because they didn't give you any free stuff?

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have no idea how trolls work, do they normally hang about one place, putting in the effort to help out with a site, running a game for the site and also being the person who trys to help others and as a result, ends up with the largest post count?

I'm not a troll, I just don't like the way Sky came in and decided everything and everyone should do things their way or not at all.

It also has nothing to do with Rapha, I have separate issues with them  38

benji p replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
brackley88 wrote:

I have met him four times now. Once in the street in Covent Garden hanging out with David Millar. Twice at charity dinners. Once at the airport in Brussels after last years Paris Roubaix.

What a nice well thought out post. Nice job. Entertaining. Thank you. It was a pleasure to read that.

crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I don't get to know the inner workings of anything, but I do get my queries half answered now and again.

And you then mould those half answered queries into your own fully formed opinion which you then present as fact on an internet forum. Wow, well done you.  41

Pages

Latest Comments