Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

summer trip to the tourmalet stage

Right, I have booked the time off work...as has my girlfriend. We are leaving on the morning of saturday 17th, getting the eurotunnel over to calais (so much cheaper than a ferry), driving down the pyrenees to have 5 or 6 days there to include the tourmalet. Before driving up, catching the itt in bordeaux and then joining the buses up toward Paris where we will see the stage on the champs elysees (if all goes to plan).

Anyway, I have a few questions.

Camping at a tour stage, what is the likelihood of being able to park and camp by the side of the road on the slopes? I want to be on the hill as I want to ride it before the race comes through. I have also heard about a mad party held at the summit the night before the stage.

Should we camp by the road, stay in a hotel (if we can find one), campsite at the foot of the mountain or another option? Also...anyone fancy adding to the numbers?! Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments