Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Government response to 'Ban Surface Dressing roads'

Ban Surface Dressing roads
Responsible department: Department for Transport

A cheap but dangerous form of road re surfacing is surface dressing, which is tar sprayed onto a poor surface and then left with loose chipping for months Any that are not stuck down can cause a hazard to any road user. This is fastest and cheapest however due to the chipping it is definitely the most dangerous surface for any and all two wheeled vehicles. Riding on this surface is not only dangerous but does a lot more harm than good. This cheap and nasty surface isn't sustainable and has to be re-done often and has no benefit whatsoever. If your going to do a job you may as well do it properly!
This form of road surfacing needs to be banned from the UK roads. all drivers would much rather have a road closed for longer and be done properly, rather than having to drive through a minefield and causing their vehicle damage which can be costly. The state of our roads has been an ongoing issue in this country and needs to be addressed.

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response: This Government takes the issue of road safety and the condition of the road network very seriously. Indeed the Government is investing more than £6bn in this Parliament and £12bn in the next for highways maintenance on both the strategic and local road network. There are many types of materials to resurface the highway network. This type of dressing will seal the old road surface, preventing the ingress of water which causes deterioration of the road surface, and the road matrix and so reducing the risk of wider scale deterioration and road failure. When designed and laid properly they pose no additional risks. On many roads where traffic flow are not excessively high, surface dressings have been shown to be both cost-effective and sustainable. The Highways Agency, responsible for the motorway and trunk road network, do not routinely use this type of dressing due to the high traffic flows. For local roads, which are the statutory responsibility of local highway authorities, it is for each individual authority to decide on the most suitable materials to be used for resurfacing and repair works, based upon their local knowledge and circumstances. This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67408

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

58 comments

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

classy *and* true.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Don't you think your local roads are much better now they've been done?

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

If I did think that, why would I be signing a petition to try to get surface dressing banned?

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

We ride on the same roads, and I think they are much better now. I've ridden there for the last 25 years and it's definitely an improvement. Having watched various local businesses suffer recently, any major road repair that stops traffic from passing by will have a serious impact on them, one that they cannot afford.

I appreciate that you think I'm being a troll, but my intention is to point out the lack of thought in this petition. No one has been able to answer the simple questions I've asked, and they are exactly the questions that any local council traffic officer would have to think of.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Quite fantastically stupid.

Classy.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

There is an easy answer to the safety issue; ban cycling on all chipseal repaired roads for a month post repair.

If it's such a safety issue, you'll agree that it makes sense, and it's economically neutral.

See what you can achieve by thinking a problem through?

I really am going now; don't run with scissors...

andyp replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

See what you can achieve by thinking a problem through?

Feel the irony. Quite fantastically stupid.

brooksby replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

There is an easy answer to the safety issue; ban cycling on all chipseal repaired roads for a month post repair.

But who'll think about the damage to motor vehicles??? I had to take my car to a garage after chip/gravel got stuck in the brakes when driving along a newly chipsealed road. There are constant complaints about damage caused to paintwork.

I think the only answer is to ban all vehicles (motor or not) from chipseal repaired roads for a month post repair.

Oh, wait, but then it would never bed in, so the road could never re-open...  39

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not quite sure why people here are focussed on the 'smooth journey' (or 'smoooooooooth journey' if you like to be childish). It's a safety issue, not a comfort one. A loose, crumbling surface is less safe than an intact one.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just because something has been done for years doesn't make it right.

It's cheap, yes- and nasty.

(and you've had the biggest "miss the point" in this thread when you brought hardcore endurance cyclocross into it)

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

You're all missing the point!
Surface dressing has been in use and in development since the 1970s, and is used across Europe and across the UK because it's cheaper and quicker than conventional resurfacing.
If you want a change from this you've got to look at the issue from a sensible, logical, economic and industrial point of view, not from a grumpy cyclist point of view.
1. If you want a change, what do you want to change to?
2. If you want a change, how much more will it cost?
3. If it costs more, how will we pay for it?
4. If it takes longer, what are the implications for traffic delays?
5. If it takes longer, what are the implications for local businesses?
6. Given that there are 40 years of experience which all show it's good way of prolonging the life of roads, what evidence do you have that a change is going to be better?

Stop trotting out boring commuter stories about your near-death experiences on bits of gravel and start thinking about the reality.

Think as well about the impact that this petition has had; does it demonstrate an attention to detail, or a sensible, well thought out approach or does it read like an opinionated rant aimed at the wrong people?

I'm done.

0 likes
crikey wrote:

Surface dressing has been in use and in development since the 1970s, and is used across Europe and across the UK because it's cheaper and quicker than conventional resurfacing. ...

This has been an advertorial by the British gravel association. Bringing you rough and loose road surfaces since 1970  3

Quote:

Stop trotting out boring commuter stories about your near-death experiences on bits of gravel and start thinking about the reality.

Isn't the reality that some people have had "near-death experiences on bits of gravel"?

Quote:

I'm done.

Promise?

andyp replied to brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:

Isn't the reality that some people have had "near-death experiences on bits of gravel"?

You would think so, wouldn't you? But apparently as long as it has never happened to you, it is a problem which doesn't exist.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anecdote and opinion shared between cyclists hasn't really helped so far has it?

0 likes
crikey wrote:

Anecdote and opinion shared between cyclists hasn't really helped so far has it?

I signed the petition. Unfortunately, along with many people (including, I suspect, the originators of the petition) I hadn't done my homework.

It seems that there was really very little point in petitioning HM Govt about this, when they could just turn around and say that the Highways Agency is responsible for major A-roads, &c, but that any other road is the responsibility of each council individually.

That said, I do personally think that road dressing is a cheapskate and a rubbish form of re-surfacing.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know the questions you need to answer.
So far it's been suggested that we get more money from heavy vehicles and now from utility companies.
I'm not seeing this actually happening even with my rose tinted glasses.
I'm not commenting to display my experience as a cyclist, which is vast. I'm commenting to point out that the whole issue has been approached without any thought.

There is a pressing need for sensible cycle related campaigning, this isn't.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know the questions you need to answer.
So far it's been suggested that we get more money from heavy vehicles and now from utility companies.
I'm not seeing this actually happening even with my rose tinted glasses.
I'm not commenting to display my experience as a cyclist, which is vast. I'm commenting to point out that the whole issue has been approached without any thought.

There is a pressing need for sensible cycle related campaigning, this isn't.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its always amusing to read a fifth columnist amongst our ranks, trying to tread the line between provocateur and troll must be difficult. Crikey, your comments show no experience as a cyclist. 'Just grow up' is hardly the cleverest of rhetorical responses.

Not only is the surface dangerous, its construction is based on the premise that drivers will stick to 20mph. This is never, NEVER, observed. The surface is not maintained properly or debris removed. It is a false economy. The financial crisis was in 2008, that is six years ago now. In that time I have seen with my own eyes chipped surfaces degrade and have to be treated again within 18 months. Using the crisis as an excuse is ridiculous. We are a wealthy nation, there is no dust bowl and people are still buying iphones. There is no excuse for throwing money at short term poor quality solutions.

If councils need to maintain the road they should force those who cause potholes, not drivers or hauliers; but utilities companies to maintain it. Most urban potholes are found where the road has been repaired shoddily. They dig up the road, but do not provide any after care or guarantee that the surface will not degrade after their works. A road's primary purpose is not as a conduit for buried utilities, and the crazy paving that is left above is not acceptable. When you pay £3.99 a month for Plusnet broadband you endorse this race to the bottom attitude.

brooksby replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Most urban potholes are found where the road has been repaired shoddily. They dig up the road, but do not provide any after care or guarantee that the surface will not degrade after their works.

My parish council had to make a notice that they were "trying" to force a utility company to repair two large holes which had been left when they'd dug holes in the road, in my village. They'd dug nice neat square holes down to whatever utility they were accessing, then filled it in and neatly tarmacced over the top. The only problem was, that they neatly and smoothly tarmacced it, but about two inches lower than the rest of the road... It took about six months for them to come back and fill it in level with the road.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Um, no.
You proposed the whole idea of heavy vehicles paying for repairs to roads.

A national change in vehicle taxation in response to a small number of disgruntled cyclists who don't seem to be able to answer even the most basic questions raised?

Call me an old cynic, but I can't quite see it happening.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bet you're great at parties.

Quote:

This is not whataboutery but an attempt to get you to see that your idea that we have to work out, perhaps for the sake of fairness, how the costs of bodging road repairs with top dressing are incurred, and charge these costs to the vehicles which use each road, is not how things are done, and anyway is unworkable

Um, the whole idea of getting heavy vehicles to pay for the costs was your idea...

So, still stuck at square one, what do you do instead and who pays for it?

Surface dressing is apparently about 5 times cheaper than conventional resurfacing. Somehow I can't see many people agreeing to pay 5 times as much to repair roads to allow cyclists that smoooooooooth journey to work.

Bye.

felixcat replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

I bet you're great at parties.

Why? As it happens, I am silent until four drinks are taken, after that fluent and charming until eight are under the belt but then I turn vicious.

0 likes
crikey wrote:

Um, the whole idea of getting heavy vehicles to pay for the costs was your idea...

So, still stuck at square one, what do you do instead and who pays for it?

I am not the Treasury. I would attempt to get road haulage to pay its track costs on a macro level. Trying to allocate costs on a micro level, as you propose, is futile and unworkable.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

All of which is more whataboutery and sidesteps the actual issue which is surface dressing rather than the complexities of HGV taxation.
The majority of roads that are surface dressed are not subject to HGV traffic*, therefore the taxation or not of HGVs would seem to be a subject for a wider national road repair debate rather than one pertinent to local council road repair technique.

*in my experience...

0 likes

There was no "whataboutery" in my post. What I was doing was pointing out your mistakes about the principles and practice of public expenditure and revenue.
Perhaps the best way to get it through to you is to bring up the concept of "hypothecation".
Hypothecation is the idea that a particular tax should be spent in a particular cause, probably related to the way the tax is applied. The Treasury, for its own good reasons, has always strongly resisted hypothecation. The Treasury doctrine is that all taxation goes into one pot, out of which the government spends.
If hypothecation is allowed we would have smokers complaining that tabacco tax is spent on this and that, but never on facilities for smokers. One might reply that the tax is spent on lung cancer and heart surgery wards and treatment. You would presumably quibble that more (or perhaps less) money is spent on treating smokers than is brought in by tobacco taxes. This is beside the point. What taxes should pay for schools?
This is not whataboutery but an attempt to get you to see that your idea that we have to work out, perhaps for the sake of fairness, how the costs of bodging road repairs with top dressing are incurred, and charge these costs to the vehicles which use each road, is not how things are done, and anyway is unworkable.
As far as fairness goes, the costs imposed by road transport much exceed their taxes. The tax needs to go up, if fairness is the aim. I would say that if road is to compete with rail then both should pay their track/road costs, not out of some notion of fairness, but because the present arrangement distorts the market, and leads to the public paying for road haulage costs out of council tax, and income tax.
I will deal with your idea that lorry damage is confined to HGVs on trunk roads later. The alarm to tell me the carbonara is cooked has just gone.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Felix; unfortunately I need to complicate matters further. Heavy vehicles spend most of their time on Motorways, dual carriageways and A roads. Chipseal repair, in my experience, is used largely on minor suburban roads, where heavy vehicles do not count for the majority of traffic. Tax them as much as you like; you're not actually addressing the issue.

Jimmy; I've no idea what all that Tesco related whataboutery is trying to say.
I've lots and lots and lots of experience of riding on chipseal repaired roads. My local villages have all been through the whole thing this year, and yes, it made riding different. I no longer have to think about the next stretch of road, nor do I have to carry a mental map of where all the potholes and damaged tarmac is because the chip seal surface has covered it all.

It requires a little more care for a month or so, until the surface has bedded in and the excess chips have been brushed up, but now it's a great surface for riding on, laid quickly with minimum traffic disruption.

I do hope you will all be careful during the autumn when the roads become covered in wet leaves, and during the winter, when the roads can become icy...

I notice that no-one has yet addressed any of the actual practical issues raised, namely;
What are you going to repair roads with instead, how much will it cost over the use of chipseal, and who is going to pay for it?

I heard a spokesman from Manchester council say that their budget has been cut by 41%.
Local councils have the responsibility for road repair.
Any serious attempt to look at this as an issue needs to do so realistically...

0 likes

Crikey, you may want to complicate the question, for your own ends, but it really is irrelevant exactly where the costs are allocated. HGVs do so much more damage than cars, (and cars so much more than bikes), that a precise accounting is superfluous.
At present for example VED is charged on emissions, roughly calculated in bands of engine size. Noone is particularly bothered that this gives sudden jumps in VED with a small increase in capacity. Still less that some vehicles emit their noxious gas in cities where it stagnates, and some on windy western promontories where the gas is quickly dispersed. It is enough that capacity gives a rough guide to emissions.
There are other costs HGVs do not pay. Some of these are imposed in urban areas.
One visit by a lorry to your village road can do as much damage as many cars. At the moment HGVs do not pay their track costs. Any increase in tax on them is change in the right direction. It is unecessary to work out where and when they do the damage.

0 likes
crikey wrote:

... Chipseal repair, in my experience, is used largely on minor suburban roads, where heavy vehicles do not count for the majority of traffic.

Hmm, just like the A4 Portway in Bristol - the main dual carriageway which goes from the city centre out to the M5 motorway and to the docks at Avonmouth and Portbury. 'Cos you never see heavy vehicles on there, no sirree!  3

Quote:

It requires a little more care for a month or so, until the surface has bedded in and the excess chips have been brushed up, but now it's a great surface for riding on, laid quickly with minimum traffic disruption.

I'll grant you that. When the Portway was chipsealed recently, I was skidding about on loose chippings just crossing from one side to t'other.

But now, a month or so later, it all seems to have settled in and even be wearing off in places, which is a great improvement...

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Crikey indeed...

So having been so wonderfully corrected my clear stupidity, I'll make one more blundering, ignorant post and move on.

Personally I believe safety concerns are valid to raise, and in my obviously dense head, I foolishly value safety concerns over pure cost savings.

There is a fantastic quote from the boss of Tesco's that talks about the 'efficiency' of the public sector, but I don't have it to hand, but to paraphrase... he basically says that if he Tesco's was run in the same manner as the Public sector, there would simply be no Tesco's. But then... he only runs a few grocery stores; clearly a moron.

Caveat: I appreciate that the recent profit mis-calculation thingy does not brilliantly support my above point, but hey ho, what can I do, I'm a think chump.

Out of interest, what are your experiences of riding this style of road dressing?

Personally I've gone down once (many moons ago) and had several very big moments. But then, I won't have the skills I guess...

felixcat replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you not been reading the financial pages lately? Recently Tesco admitted a quarter of a billion pound hole in their accounts.

Pages

Latest Comments