Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thoughts on the Whyte Suffolk

I know these sort of posts can be a bit repetitive, but I was just looking for thoughts on the 2015 Whyte Suffolk please...

I'm after a new bike as a C2W purchase. I don't want to call it a "winter trainer", as I don't race, it's rather intended as a commuter/weekend steed to better cope through the less pleasant months of the year, so disc brakes and ample clearance for wider tyres and proper mudguards are essential.

The Whyte seems to tick a lot of boxes, haven't ridden it yet but will stop by the LBS on a Saturday for a quick spin. It seems decent value too, although I'd be interested in opinions as to whether it's worth the extra £200 over the Dorset for what, so far as I can tell, appears to only really be an upgrade to an 11-speed 105 groupset from a 9-speed Tiagra/Sora mix.

Suggestions for any alternative bikes would also be welcome. A CX bike is not really what I'm after (unless it's got road gearing), and I've already got a Trek Madone, so am not looking for anything too similar to that either. Boardman is out of the window too as I can't use Halfords with my C2W scheme.

The £1200 price of the Suffolk is very much the top of my budget, which is the usual £1k C2W limit with a small top-up.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments