Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

1 1/8 straight fork into 1 1/4 to 1.5 tapered headtube?? Canyon with Acros headset..

Would really appreciate some quick input from techy types.

I have an Easton EC 90sl fork which is straight and 1 1/8. I would like to put it into a canyon cf slx (old model) frame.
The frame is I believe 1 1/4 at the top tapering to 1.5 at the bottom.
HOW DO I MAKE THAT WORK??
I've seen a Hope headset and a Chris King one but am getting a bit flumoxed with what exactly I need. Its also muddled by having one of those Acros headsets??
Quite prepared to ditch the existing headset if you can fit a new one to the canyon frames?
If someone's got the definitive answer that'd be great as I'm in hurry to buy and build...
Thanks
Dan..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Great. Thanks for the link. I'll ring them in the morning and see what they say...

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

These guys make them and have made them for ages, originaly to enable you to replace a lefty or a headshock fork

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=169&Name=He...

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah something like that. You wouldn't necessarily have to bond it to the steerer, but you don't want any movement. Get the machinist to copy the shape of the Canyon steerer.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Drmatt..
You're going to have to forgive my ignorance here, headsets are a real bogey area for me as you may be able to tell. How do you mean sleeves? Just carbon or ali sleeves bonded to the steerer??
The guarantee thing is of no concern as the frames 3+ years old, forks not mind..

I'm hoping I can just get an appropriate new headset and fit n forget..

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can you get a spacer sleeve machined up? drop it over the current steerer and it fits into the bearings. All you need is for the OD to be 1 1/4 at the top and 1 1/2 at the bottom. That should slot into the existing bearings.

Of course, it will violate the guarantees of both fork and frame, but hey...

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Which is what'll I'll do providing the stem fits. Can't believe there's not a 'just do this, then that, then you're sorted' type solution..
The frakenbike thing does appeal as I just want to slot all my current fairly hi spec kit on that's right for my fit. It's not dream bike territory..

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's an older model 2nd hand frame that I've bought. I think my current fork is the better fork and the one that's been sold with the Matt black frame is white! Can't be having that.
I think the easier option is to get the thing sprayed up..
They may also be an issue with fitting my nicely matching stem to the oversized steerer..
I thought there'd be a simpler fix.

Derny replied to DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would put the white fork on and go for a ride.

Sanding and painting the fork sounds like the cheapest/easiest solution unless you're really enjoying the challenge of creating a frankenbike (nothing wrong with that).

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Use a Canyon fork. It's an excellent fork, and it will fit perfectly.

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

The more I look into this the more it appears to be a no go.
Seems to be one of the bike industry's unsolved problems..
Got a Canyon then you pretty much have to run a Canyon Fork or a couple of very expensive alternatives..

DanTe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input!

It's looking like a right ball ache. I phoned Hope, they were quite helpful so there maybe some, err, hope.
Reducers are looking like a no no too.
There's complications due to the shaping of the inside of the headtube.

Any more ideas very gratefully/desperately received..

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Drop these people an email, they might be able to help if it is an integrated headset. sales [at] airebearings.co.uk http://www.airebearings.co.uk/

If not, as Derny says, reducers are the way to go

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can probably use a 1-1/8" headset with some reducer rings. I don't have first-hand experience with your frame but this type of solution might work:

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/headtube_reducers

The King headsets are lovely (I have two of them) but from the scenario you describe, you may want to consider the more economical option of reducers. Take care to ensure that your fork's steer tube is long enough to accommodate the taller stack height after you add the reducers.

Problem Solvers is a house brand of Quality Bicycle Products (aka, QBP) which is one of the largest bicycle repair parts distributors in the US.

Latest Comments