Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib Shorts recommendation.

I'm looking to treat myself prior to taking part in the welsh Velothon. Currently I use DHB's areon pro's, which have been fantastic over the last 18 months. But there is a bewildering choice out there & I'll be honest I don't think I want be spending Rapha / Assos sort of dough.....do I stick with what I know or look elsewhere?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

57 comments

PurpleDog | 8 years ago
0 likes

I love my Decathlon Aerofit 900 bib shorts - comfortable and great value at under £50.
So that'll be why they discontinued them, so now I can't get another pair  2

hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think I can give some insight and then you can make your own mind up with all the opinions.

Rapha- I have the Classic, Sky, and the Winter Classic. All good and happy to use them and don't feel they are over priced compared to others. Cytech Chamois

Assos- have four of them - They are the first bib shorts I've tried and bought. They use their own chamois and they are not bad. Very padded. However, now I am used to Cytech Chamois I am less keen to use Assos these days.

DHB - had one but had to return because it chaffed so badly I couldn't even get home. Later found out its because of the stitching. Returned and refunded. However their DHB professional ASV Roubaix Bib tight line now is very good. So good I think it is better than any I've tried and they have the Cytech Chamois too. I will probably buy myself 2-3 of those DHB Professional ASV bib shorts this summer.

Pactimo - I have their Summit Raptor. Love them. Again Cytech Chamois but their material is super. My no. 1 Choice.

Castili - Have 2, tight and short. Both padding not sufficient for me so I tend not to use them unless it needs to cover big range of temperature because the fabric is extremely good. I wish they used the Cytech Chamois then I think they will be my go to bibs and tights. Unfortunately they don't.

Sportful - Have one. hmm collecting dust.

and some other brands a lot cheaper tried them on once and then never again.

Anything with Cytech Chamois I am willing to buy.

Personally if I am going to buy now I will choose the DHB Professional ASV because for that price no one can come close.

If you like hmm brand and refinement like I do then Rapha is good looking.

I bought the sky pro bib on sale and they were amazing bargains so look out for those and be patient.

Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well the gruppetos don't fit. XL's far too short on the straps. so that'll be £85 wasted. Went with he DHB Pros to replace them, far more comfortable.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Start Cycles are selling older Scott stuff off at silly prices; look for the RC stuff and try the bib shorts. They are the best I've tried and I have 30 years worth of shorts experience from the days of real chamois leather in shorts and real wool shorts held up with braces through Alexa, Assos, Mavic, Castelli, Giordana, Santini, Impsport, and others too obscure to mention.

thesaladdays | 8 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone tried the fwe (Evans brand) bibs yet? Brother in law has never had a pair but is itching to try, and the (low) price would help him take the plunge.

I stopped in at a shop to examine the chamois, it looks and feels really decent, but without a test ride it's hard to know. The look decent as well, suitably understated  39

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

You should have just bought Assos and been done with it if you were spending 85 quid. Unos are only a few quid more.

leelang229 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if they have been mentioned but I bought some of these to do the coast to coast a couple of weeks back. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/520-cycling-bib-shorts-black-blue-id_8327984....
I used the for an 80 mile day, and the gel pad is really comfy. The shoulder straps are a bit slippy at first, but for £35 you can't go too far wrong.

S13SFC | 8 years ago
0 likes

Merlin Cycles own brand bibshorts at £29.99. Got them for short rides and they are so good that my others have been cast aside.

I've worn them for rides of 20km and 250km and they are utterly fantastic.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I like the dhb asv bibs, I'd say more comfortable than my castelli bibs and cheaper too, if only they came in plain black  7

Jim Thomas | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try Red White http://www.redwhite.cc/the-bibs/
Really well thought through. Great amounts of padding. You're good for 6-7 hours in the saddle. The guys behind this brand are obviously cyclists and know what people need to be comfortable on long rides.

Charles_Hunter replied to Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes
Woodsman wrote:

Well the gruppetos don't fit. XL's far too short on the straps. so that'll be £85 wasted. Went with he DHB Pros to replace them, far more comfortable.

Have you tried them on a ride?

Woodsman replied to Charles_Hunter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, been out twice in them, once on a 50k and the other on an 80k ride. The quality and construction is excellent but the straps caused discpmfort (I'm not particularly long bodied) and the pad rubbed pretty badly after a short time. Disappointing as i like the look & feel.

PurpleDog | 8 years ago
0 likes

I love my Decathlon Aerofit 900 bib shorts - comfortable and great value at under £50.
So that'll be why they discontinued them, so now I can't get another pair  2

The _Kaner | 8 years ago
0 likes

Best pair I own , hands down, are Rapha Team Pro (Sky 2014 season)..pad just works better than any others I own...no rubbing, no slippage...and I got them for a ridiculously low price off ebay. Comfy for 5+ hours in the saddle.
Assos S5 Uno..used to be my go to shorts before I got the Raphas, but I think after 4 years the pad has seen better days, but I'd certainly replace with a like for like version as they have been hard wearing and the comfiest all round shorts up to around 4 hours riding...so about 100kms in my ride ability...
I have several pairs of Santini shorts - Max 2 pad - only good for about 2 hours in the saddle then a definite PITA, their twist gel pad works better, but I size down for a tighter fit (normally a medium, so for me the small works better - sounds back to front from what normally happens with Italian sizes)...
Altura...found their pads squished down after a few rides, so won't go near them now...
Funkier - No comment... and I wouldn't try selling anyone these despite only about 30kms on them...2nd hand shorts....bleeeurgh...
It's definitely a personal choice, one you can only make after trying several different brands...then when you find the 'golden fleece' - prepare to buy as many pairs as you can afford, before they change the design..etc...

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do those Monton bibs have the flat elastic at the leg opening that lies flat against the skin?
I've looked on the website but the picture is too blurry to really tell  7

phebeM replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

It is elastic braid that lies flat.

phebeM replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

Do those Monton bibs have the flat elastic at the leg opening that lies flat against the skin?
I've looked on the website but the picture is too blurry to really tell  7

It is Elastic Braid, I would say.

phebeM | 8 years ago
0 likes

https://www.montonsports.com/2015-pro-plus-gaddi-fluorescent-yellow-cycl...
Monton Gaddi Bibs 74.99USD are their top level shorts. Great chamois. What's more, there are several colors for option.

Al__S replied to phebeM | 8 years ago
0 likes
phebeM wrote:

What's more, there are several colors for option.

Why on earth do you need any option beyond black, black, black?  35

phebeM replied to Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes
Al__S wrote:
phebeM wrote:

What's more, there are several colors for option.

Why on earth do you need any option beyond black, black, black?  35

Tired of black for bibs.

Al__S replied to phebeM | 8 years ago
0 likes
phebeM wrote:

Tired of black for bibs.

Does not compute  24

peterben | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agree about the Morvelos, however if you have been comfortable with the DHBs' stick to what you know. It can be an expensive mistake otherwise.

Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I might have changed my mind....sportful gruppetto? Any good.

bjeato replied to Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes
Woodsman wrote:

I might have changed my mind....sportful gruppetto? Any good.

I have the Gruppetto and I like 'em. 4-6 hrs generally not a problem. Good fit. As someone else said, can't vouch for the others in the range, I have the same size in the norain bibs and the fit is nowhere near the same. Small really is small.

I've had the Btwin 900 as well, and couldn't live with the pad past an hour, although the fit was really good.

kiwimike is right, who knows until you try.

Sean Kelly replied to Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't know about Gruppetto, but the Sportful Total Comfort bibshorts left my hoop in a decent condition after 11+ hours in the saddle around Liege-Bastogne-Liege at the weekend.

Woodsman replied to Sean Kelly | 8 years ago
0 likes

And we know it's all about hoop damage limitation.....should have Gruppettos here by the end of the week. I'll let you know how I get on......

gthornton101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the DHB Aeron Pros. They are what I use for daily commuting and longer weekend rides - they are ace! Given their price point and inherent value stick with what you know works for you!

Woodsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

After all that I think I'm going with the Aeron Pros again. Reading all the reviews and thanks to your input it seems seems like they give as much bang for your buck as any bib shorts.

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just thought I'd chime in with a recommendation for the new B'Twin 520/700 ranges, 5hrs in the saddle today in a pair and the pad was comfy at the end as it was at the start.

The straps are also a new style of thin and flat elastic which are seam free over the shoulders similar too what Sportful and Santini have in their higher ranges. Nice leg grippers too.

I've not tried them for any longer distances yet but compared to the top of the range DHB, Howies, Sportful Fiandre and Gore Powers I've found them to be much nicer, which is all the more impressive given they were also the cheapest.

Stratman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had some cheap altura pro gels as my first set. They were fine, I used them as liners under mountain bike shorts. Then I found a pair of heavily discounted Castelli Body Paints, and haven't looked back. In the last couple of years I've used Sorpassos in winter and Body Paint in summer, all with the progetto x2 pad, which suits me even on 11+hour days.

You pays your money...

Pages

Latest Comments