Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ding Dong!

Leslie Phillips has a very quiet mannered rant about how we should all be off to register our bikes at the post office:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/7787682.stm

thoughts, anyone?  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Leslie Philips is a lovely fella but this is surely the same old, same old with a bit of a twise… maybe I should've hit the link below and watched the fella from Spooks sounding off about apathy. Or maybe he was in favour of it.

Anyway two quick points:
The reason the dog licence was abolished was that it cost far more to administer than it ever raised in revenue and by comparison any bike licensing scheme would be fienddishly complicated, and hard to enforce, and it would potentially criminalise vast numbers of people who by any other measure aren't criminals AND all to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. The average numbers of people killed a year by cyclists is 0.5 and you're far more likely to be killed or seriously injured on the pavement by a car. The laws already exist to deal with pavement cyclists and red light jumpers if the police choose, or are able, to enforce them. A license would make neither of these things more likely.

James Warrener replied to thebikeboy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I didn't even bother getting started.

It annoys me that because of a few irresponsible cyclists the rest of us get tarnished. The standard of driving in this nation is pathetic but do the drink/drug/uninsured drivers give the rest of the motoring population a bad name?

No, they don't. So why should it be so for us?

Latest Comments