Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

10 and 11 speed compatibility question

I have a campag Veloce 10 speed groupset and ultra torque bottom bracket. I've found a nice (cheap) Campag Record 11 speed chainset, but have been advised that it won't work (well) with the rest of my 10 speed kit.
Does anyone have experience of doing something like this? I assumed that a 10 speed chain would be fine with 11 speed chainset. Any advice welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

st33lisr3al | 8 years ago
0 likes

11 speed chainset will work with 10 speed gear setup but not the other way round,

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well I have no problems using Ultegra 6700 10s on 6800 11s chainset so I see no problem using a similar set up for Campag !

MarkiMark | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm particularly interested in comment by fukawitribe. You make it sound straight forward, on what experience?

fukawitribe replied to MarkiMark | 8 years ago
0 likes
MarkiMark wrote:

I'm particularly interested in comment by fukawitribe. You make it sound straight forward, on what experience?

I've only had direct experience the other way around hence the caveated comment - I run an 11-speed Ultegra groupset with 10-speed FSA K-Force Lite chainset (which works beautifully) but i've also looked around for advice before that. One good source of information has been velonews, e.g.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

- search for '11 speed compatibility' on that site and you'll find quite a bit of information regarding it, mostly from the highly knowledgable Lennard Zinn, including dimensions and real-world experiences from others. I'm sure there's other info sources just a Google or two away but these answered my immediate questions.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

It will be fine.

mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

only thing I can offer is that 7spd worked with 8spd chainsets, 8spd worked with 9spd chainsets, 9spd worked with 10spd chainsets. I can't really see why 10 won't work with 11spd. May not be perfect but I doubt in the real world it would be an issue.

Jeroen0110 replied to mrmo | 8 years ago
1 like
mrmo wrote:

only thing I can offer is that 7spd worked with 8spd chainsets, 8spd worked with 9spd chainsets, 9spd worked with 10spd chainsets. I can't really see why 10 won't work with 11spd. May not be perfect but I doubt in the real world it would be an issue.

+1 for the front... don't go trying to swap derailleurs and cassettes though...

DeeJayJay | 8 years ago
0 likes

As far as I am led to believe, it is the difference in chain width between 10/11 speed that would cause an issue. The 11 speed chain is thinner than its 10 speed compatriot, meaning that the other components are designed for use with the specific width of chain.

fukawitribe replied to DeeJayJay | 8 years ago
0 likes
DeeJayJay wrote:

As far as I am led to believe, it is the difference in chain width between 10/11 speed that would cause an issue. The 11 speed chain is thinner than its 10 speed compatriot, meaning that the other components are designed for use with the specific width of chain.

IIRC the 11-speed chains are narrower on their external measurements (shoulders) but are the same internally so, e.g. a 10-speed chain may get wedged in an 11-speed cassette but an 11-speed chainset should cope with an otherwise 10-speed groupset (even a triple should have enough room to cope with the tiny difference in outside chain width).

Latest Comments