Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is pro cycling finished

Today we have learnt the bio passport case against Kreuziger has been dropped due to 'new information'. We saw on Wednesday it is next to useless to catch macrodosing and of course Astana as seen in the giro are as dirty as hell with those performances.

I love watching the pro game but is there any point any more ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

daddyELVIS - this is the problem as i see it. In your view if your connected in any way, shape or form with Sky you are a doper, simple as that, no ifs no buts you are a cheat and a doper.

So far, since Sky have been a team, i cant recall any of their riders failing a drugs test. I'm not talking about JTL as that was before he joined or Rogers as that was after he left and was with Saxo, so unless you are really really paranoid about Sky or are some sort of psychic i cant fathom where you get your info from that they do cheat.

I think i know the answer though..............  39

daddyELVIS replied to Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

daddyELVIS - this is the problem as i see it. In your view if your connected in any way, shape or form with Sky you are a doper, simple as that, no ifs no buts you are a cheat and a doper.

So far, since Sky have been a team, i cant recall any of their riders failing a drugs test. I'm not talking about JTL as that was before he joined or Rogers as that was after he left and was with Saxo, so unless you are really really paranoid about Sky or are some sort of psychic i cant fathom where you get your info from that they do cheat.

I think i know the answer though..............  39

Nope, never said that at all.
What I have said is that doping is rife at the pinnacle of pro sport, especially where the bucks are big! Therefore, it is safe to assume that many champions are dopers. That said, and from what I've seen since the formation of Sky, my view is that they are hypocrits! That is the only crime I can level at them - whether anything more serious ever comes to light, only time will tell.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

No, that's not what I'm saying. There are countless athletes at the top of their game not doping, I would actually say the majority of athletes at their absolute pinnacle are not doping. I'm saying that a small minority of athletes in any given distance event are doping - and those are the world beaters, the absolute elite of the elite, the top 20%.

Any successful doping program is tailored towards that athlete's specific biochemistry, weaknesses, training program, anticipated anti-doping controls etc. My argument is about sport in general; It's pointless for me to say what I think one specific person is on as it would be 100% wrong. It's like me asking you what you think athlete Y's natural nutritional intake is, or what athlete X's training program is. It doesn't prove anything and steers the argument away from that which I am making.

fukawitribe replied to Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying. There are countless athletes at the top of their game not doping, I would actually say the majority of athletes at their absolute pinnacle are not doping. I'm saying that a small minority of athletes in any given distance event are doping - and those are the world beaters, the absolute elite of the elite, the top 20%.

Any successful doping program is tailored towards that athlete's specific biochemistry, weaknesses, training program, anticipated anti-doping controls etc. My argument is about sport in general; It's pointless for me to say what I think one specific person is on as it would be 100% wrong. It's like me asking you what you think athlete Y's natural nutritional intake is, or what athlete X's training program is. It doesn't prove anything and steers the argument away from that which I am making.

You are saying the all of the top 20% of distance athletes are definitely doping - i'm saying that's nonsense. I'm not saying that doping doesn't exist, nor that doping in some sports is absolutely rife at the top-level. I'll relax my question if you want - are you absolutely convinced Wiggins is doping ? Beyond that, as Iamnot Wiggins said, it's a tired old discussion and I can't be arsed.

fukawitribe replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
Kadinkski wrote:

You are saying the all of the top 20% of distance athletes are definitely doping - i'm saying that's nonsense. I'm not saying that doping doesn't exist, nor that doping in some sports is absolutely rife at the top-level

Edit : that would be "nor that doping in some sports isn't absolutely rife at the top-level".

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

I once read on the internet that everybody dopes. Therefore, and because some faceless internet keyboard warrior said it, it must be 100% factual because they know everything about everything.

It's a tired old discussion really, isn't it. We all know it happens and it's sad that everybody is now viewed with utmost suspicion when they have a good day. We all have great days on the bike normally followed by utter crap ones! As somebody has already pointed out, shit happens. Do you think cycling cares if you choose to no longer watch it on TV due to the fact that you can't see beyond your own doubt? Of course it bloody doesn't.

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

.........and so was his other big hero, Paul Weller, so Big Mig proves what exactly  7

daddyELVIS replied to Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

.........and so was his other big hero, Paul Weller, so Big Mig proves what exactly  7

I just wonder how to decide which dopers are heroes and which are villains? Associating with dodgy doctors seems ok on the Wiggo-scale.

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank fuck for that, I thought for a moment some logic was going to be introduced into the discussion. By the way, just for record, what drugs do you think Wiggins was using for the hour attempt ?

daddyELVIS replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Thank fuck for that, I thought for a moment some logic was going to be introduced into the discussion. By the way, just for record, what drugs do you think Wiggins was using for the hour attempt ?

Ah, you pulled your head out of your book of fairy tales! Don't know if he was doping or not for the hour. But he was sure pleased his hero, Big Mig was there to see him do it!

ianrobo replied to daddyELVIS | 8 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Ah, you pulled your head out of your book of fairy tales! Don't know if he was doping or not for the hour. But he was sure pleased his hero, Big Mig was there to see him do it!

and Pat McQuaid and Brunyeel and also references the 'great' Lance Armstrong.

Not exactly people you would to be associated with.

fukawitribe replied to daddyELVIS | 8 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Ah, you pulled your head out of your book of fairy tales! Don't know if he was doping or not for the hour.

I'm not pretending cycling's clean, far from it, but you do know he's doping because everyone at the top of their game in cycling is, as you keep saying, everyone. So, MTFU and say which ones you reckon he's on or realise that in a non-fairy-tale world there's inevitably a bunch of cheats and some who aren't.

0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
daddyELVIS wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Ah, you pulled your head out of your book of fairy tales! Don't know if he was doping or not for the hour.

I'm not pretending cycling's clean, far from it, but you do know he's doping because everyone at the top of their game in cycling is, as you keep saying, everyone. So, MTFU and say which ones you reckon he's on or realise that in a non-fairy-tale world there's inevitably a bunch of cheats and some who aren't.

I never said they dope all the time, so again I can't say if he dope for the hour. What I will say is the the hour was much more believable than the Tour victory, and the 2012 season as a whole!

0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
daddyELVIS wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

I never said they dope all the time, so again I can't say if he dope for the hour. What I will say is the the hour was much more believable than the Tour victory, and the 2012 season as a whole!

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

Going back to the original point, no its not finished. If anything its getting stronger BUT just like the English Premiership, Spain and Italy you are going to get the same teams winning the GT year on year due to greater budgets and as such the ability to buy in a ready made GT winner.

In all walks of life people will cheat to be better or the best so its upto the governing bodies to get their act together and come down hard on anyone who does get caught and like Mo Farah said "ban them for life".

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

You are not going to get someone doing EPO for a local 4th.

Look at the US Masters riders who have been busted for PEDs.

Then again, look at the use of Testosterone in the US generally as an antidote to that condition that the rest of the world calls 'getting older'.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/masters-racer-leduc-admits-to-doping

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-masters-rider-suspended-for-doping

http://yougotdropped.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/ygd-response-to-doping-maste...

http://www.bendsource.com/bend/riding-dirty-doping-in-amateur-cycling-hi...

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oh what a happy group you are.

All sportsmen / women are drugs cheats, all football fans are thick as mince.....

If you dont like it, dont watch it. Personally i dont give a shite if someone is using drugs, i watch something because its enjoyable, fun or i get a buzz out of it.

Do you not watch big movies or top tv programmes either as a lot of the "A-list" actors take illegal substances and alcohol or do you all turn a blind eye to that ?????????

hsiaolc replied to Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Do you not watch big movies or top tv programmes either as a lot of the "A-list" actors take illegal substances and alcohol or do you all turn a blind eye to that ?????????

Hmmm not very logical thinker here or lack of IQ?

Actors take illegal substances or and alcohol doesn't make them act better or give them an edge against other actors. If anything other actors would love the others to kill themselves with drugs and alcohol.

Stumps replied to hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes
hsiaolc wrote:
stumps wrote:

Hmmm not very logical thinker here or lack of IQ?

Actors take illegal substances or and alcohol doesn't make them act better or give them an edge against other actors. If anything other actors would love the others to kill themselves with drugs and alcohol.

I was actually being petty just like most of the comments on here, obvious your IQ was not upto understanding that. So i'll make it simpler for you -

"SHIT HAPPENS" so why get uptight about something you have no control over, now did you understand that.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

On a side note, anyone listen to Mo Farah's press conference today. As I was riding it was so very relevant to how LA used to deal with Kimmage and Walsh. Forget the allegations and links to a dodgy trainer/doctor attack the messenger.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

“I believe that it is currently difficult to be among the top five in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or human growth hormone. While some of the top athletes may be clean, so many athletes are running so fast that their performances are suspect"

Alberto Salazar, 2001

Now, 15 years later, I believe it would be accurate to change "difficult" to "impossible" and "the top 5" to "the top 20%" and "distance events" to "any sport".

0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:

“I believe that it is currently difficult to be among the top five in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or human growth hormone. While some of the top athletes may be clean, so many athletes are running so fast that their performances are suspect"

Alberto Salazar, 2001

Now, 15 years later, I believe it would be accurate to change "difficult" to "impossible" and "the top 5" to "the top 20%" and "distance events" to "any sport".

So, just to really nail this down, you're saying that 20% of the top professional cyclists are using EPO or HGH ?

Kadinkski replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

So, just to really nail this down, you're saying that 20% of the top professional cyclists are using EPO or HGH ?

Yes, that's correct. But I'm not having a pop at cycling specifically - I'm saying that to be in the top 20% of athletes in the world at any given distance sport, to be within the absolute elite of the elite, you have to be on the gear.

0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Yes, that's correct. But I'm not having a pop at cycling specifically

No, I didn't think you were - just wanted to clarify it in one particular.

Kadinkski wrote:

- I'm saying that to be in the top 20% of athletes in the world at any given distance sport, to be within the absolute elite of the elite, you have to be on the gear.

OK.... and I personally think that's so unlikely as to be borderline tin-foil, but each to their own, we have no proof either way.

FWIW I remember back in the seventies and eighties when I well into my running that we knew that it was rife in the upper tiers of athletics and that some of the teams had had reasonably modern and systemic doping schemes - even then nobody doubted that some of the top flight were actually clean... some people just are shit hot athletes and some are shit hot athletes that have been trained really well, it happens.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's no different to the situation in track and field athletics, and just about any form of pro sport, where money / sponsorship is involved. Cycling is 'zeitgeist' right now, the spotlight is on it like never before. It's been going on since big money got involved, let them get on with it. Whether it's a case of a two tier 'dopers' vs 'no dopers' thing or not, as long as I'm seeing crazy arsed sprints, and shit scary 60mph descents, I'm happy.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

If that was proven I think a lot of the 'casual' sports watchers just wouldn't bother anymore. I stopped following pro cycling years ago because I think its just like WWF - make believe bullshit that only 12 year old boys should take seriously.

But what will ensure that pro sport survives is the fact that the average sports 'fan' is a moron. Do you really think a Liverpool fan would get the LFC tattoo removed from their chest, stop buying season tickets, team kit, sky subscriptions etc if it was proven most premiership players were systematically doping? They wouldn't give a shit. Its as much about the way of life for them as the 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. What else are they going to do, read a book instead?

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

But I think if people saw and was proved most cheat then pro sport is finished.

History, and fairly recent history at that, would suggest that you are mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

Only goes back to 1886...
Yet cycling is more popular than ever, despite Armstrong et al. There is a fundamental difference in attitude between the UK and USA when compared to the rest of Europe as far as doping in cycling is concerned. The UK and US do seem to get overly concerned whereas the Euro attitude is much less excitable.
As for those who are new to the sport and have learned about it post Armstrong; they have much to learn.  3

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

mrmo replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

people want to be entertained, the details aren't relevant.

mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

why would pro sport in general be finished? There are cheats in ALL sports, infact in all aspects of life. Does that mean we should abandon life in general?

Sport is entertainment, pro sport exists for the spectator. If it is interesting to watch then people will watch.

Pages

Latest Comments