Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recomendation please...Heart Rate Monitor

In a bid to get fit this year (with a view to having a go at road racing for the first time), I wish to buy a HRM.

I'd prefer something that can double as a bike computer (speed/distance and cadence if poss), but wouldn't mind having a wrist-watch style instead of something mounted to the bike (so i can use it doing other stuff).

Budget up to, say, £150. What can you recommend?

Tom

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I have not tried this as I didn't need to run the sensor from the rear wheel, but it looks easy enough.

Polar Speed Sensor Upgrade

It will reduce battery life of the speed sensor, but that is user replaceable so no real issue.

Si.

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

For me at least, the CS 100 has never put a foot wrong and is very simple and easy to use - a lot more than can be said for the 705 which is a hobby in it's own right!

For me the fact that it is a watch rather than a committed bike computer is no benefit with the CS300 and it doesn't offer any other benefits in performance of note against the CS100. But for you the fact that it can be used for other sports as an HR watch may be of real value (for that read "I don't do anything other than cycle")

ourmaninthenorth replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Thanks v much. All very useful. I shall now distract myself with finding either the CS100 or CS300 at a decent price somewhere and absolutely not using the money to buy a 'cross frameset....

BigDummy replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I think mine is a CS100. I've had no problems with the HRM function specifically, but a couple of (admittedly very cold) days it has simply got bored while paused and declined to start recording again when I've restarted. Not a huge problem, just irritating.

By way of slight hijack - is it possible to mount the wheel sensor on the back wheel? My guess is not, but would be interested to know if anyone's made it work before I gamble the time. Turbo trainer purposes obviously.

Word.

Jon

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

The Polar CS 100 is a really good unit, it does HR speed, distance and all the usual readings plus you can add an optional wireless cadence sensor to add that function too.

I found this on the web and appears the whole kit inc chest strap, wireless speed and wireless cadence sensor can be had for around £80.

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar_cs100_hrm_bike.html

I used one of these for about 2 years with no hassle at all, and have only changed as I upgraded to a Garmin Edge 705, to be honest I have times when I consider putting the Polar back on!

ourmaninthenorth replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, and how reliable would you say it has been? (A quick search of bikeradar throws up questions on relaibility.)

Also, is, say, the CS300 worth the extra?

Latest Comments