Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What are your 2009 goals?

Come on, write 'em down and make 'em public! That way we can all support each other. Mine are pretty simple:

1) go under 25:00 for a 10TT this season
2) get down to race weight, that means losing about 8kg (or possibly 10, haven't weighed myself since Christmas!) by this time next year.
3) erm, that's it really.

Remember everyone that your goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-delimited. Who's going to do what?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

therevokid | 14 years ago
0 likes

get down to 75kg and under 5:30 on Belmont Hill in
Bristol !! (it's a local thing :-])

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

re-reading my first post on here...I havnt been able to afford to get to barca but have won my age group in a couple of tri's over here so Im happy with that...still have three or four to go.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've done okay, my col bagging has yielded another 16 major Alpine cols, one of them was the Cime de la Bonnette.

Missed out on the Pyrenees though, so they will have to wait until next year.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

ive missed both listed here, ah well.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

i've completed my second goal, losing weight: down to 96kg. have to keep it completed though  1

metric century has eluded me for this year, done a few but missed a month or two. next year, then...

ourmaninthenorth | 15 years ago
0 likes

My simple, overriding goal is to get fitter. At 32, I've let my fitness languish for the last 4 years (since giving up playing another sport at a decent level).

So, in order to achieve this, I shall:

1. Start training towards giving road racing a go this year. First chaingang is this Saturday....

2. Lose weight. One stone has to go.

3. Take part in all of the club 10 competition. TT's don't interest me, but the obvious benefits of mid-week racing can't be ignored. To go under 25.00 by the last one of the season.

4. Complete the Tour of Flanders sportive (140km edition) in less than 5 hours (preferably in around 4.5 hours).

5. Finish the Étape. I'm not a natural climber, and it will be a tough ask.

6. Obtain accreditation at the velodrome (Manchester).

7. Go on a couple of short (i.e. long weekend) tours in Wales and Scotland.

Wow, a long list (but quite a lot of overlap). Most importantly, though will be the last one:

8. Encourage Mrs North to ride her bike a little more so we can do some riding together.

Jon Burrage replied to ourmaninthenorth | 15 years ago
0 likes

> Compete and finish the alpe d'huez triathlon
> Ride up Mont Ventoux to watch the tour de france

Im hoping to combine the two, theyre three days apart so it might be my summer holiday!  1

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

1. Get some metric century points on the board by the end of Jan

2. Get out riding with my younger daughter - while she still wants to go

3. Spend a week riding in the Pyrenees

4. Make road.cc even more of a success

5. Maybe some pink plaid shirts, wool, and some long sleeves for next Winter

That'll do

Denzil Dexter | 15 years ago
0 likes

Get out on my bike more… which isn't specific

Get some big continental rides in. I want to ride in the Pyrenees, but I'd also like to explore some of the other bits of France. Saw someone on here mention the Ardeschoise - that appeals, and I'd like to check out the Vosges - think that's supposed to be the emptiest part of France. I'll save the second and third of those for 2010 and 2011 cos that's acheivable…

And aren't our goals time limited rather than de-limited, them being our 2009 goals…  26 Sorry, being picky there.

cactuscat replied to Denzil Dexter | 15 years ago
0 likes

looks like you majored in science, not wordsmithery...  1

Denzil Dexter replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

Good "wordsmithery" surely is all about clarity of meaning. To limit means to set a boundary, so if the goals for 2009 were time limited it would mean the same thing but in a clearer and more understandable form. "Delimit" on the other hand is a piece of needless over complication "delimit - to determine or or demarcate the limits of" simpler in this case to say "set a time limit".

Good wordsmithery, like good science is about avoiding needless complication. Needless complexity leads to confusion.  1

cactuscat replied to Denzil Dexter | 15 years ago
0 likes
Denzil Dexter wrote:

And aren't our goals time limited rather than de-limited

no. they're both. either would be acceptable, though delimited, meaning 'set definite limits to' is arguably more correct than limited, which just means 'restrict'

anyway, this is a forum about biking, not semantics  1

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

1) complete my Metric Century year... one 100k ride a month shouldn't really be hard. should it?

2) lose weight. my weight varies quite a bit but at the moment it's in the 104-108kg range, and i'd like to shave 10kg off that. but let's be realistic and say 8kg. by the start of the next Metric Century year...

3) make road.cc, erm, cost-neutral?  3

dave atkinson replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

forgot one:

4) cycle over the millau viaduct...

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Not a form of tea-bagging honest!

I want to rack up a few more note worthy cols this coming year. I already have at least half a dozen planned in the Pyrenees this coming summer, but I really want to climb the Bonette-Restefond too.

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

Id like to come top 10% in the Barcelona Triathlon. Id also like to win a couple of smaller events this year in the UK as Ive been top 5 on a few occassions and with a decent, planned training schedule I should improve a lot.
Id also like to get to know enough cyclists and runners etc around Bristol to be able to go out on group rides or runs!

Latest Comments