Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 vs sora

At the moment my orbea has a sora groupset, I've upgraded the wheels a while ago so they are 11 SPD compatible. So my question is, will I notice a difference if I make an upgrade to a full 105 groupset ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Somebody really good, but I can't remember who, once said they had never won a race on Dura-Ace they would have lost on Ultegra or lost one on Ultegra they would have won on Dura-Ace.

Pret | 8 years ago
0 likes

New 105 5800 is superb. I have tried dura ace 9000 and could not say difference.
I have seen recently on merlin cycles full group for 253.  41

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have done this exact upgrade, I'd say that there is definitely a difference and the shifting is lighter, smoother and more exact.
Everything g in 105 just feels better quality than sora too and the hoods are confier (imo).
Also it needs less continual adjustment to keep the gears working perfectly but this was never much of an issue really.
There is probably about a 500g difference in weight too which I thought Did make a slight difference to how the bike rode.
Whether those changes are worth the money for you I cannot say, I only changed because I smashed up one of the old shifters and it was my birthday  1

Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Only if you have sensitive thumbs. I made the same upgrade (5703) - in part because I wanted to put a bar bag back on after some cable chafing issues and I preferred the cleaner lines - but all things considered I'd struggle to justify the expense, really.

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

In terms of shifting performance if you maintain both in good condition they will shift when you want it to, but a 11 speed groupset would offer you closer gear ratio on your cassette.

Latest Comments