Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Colnago C60 vs Canynon Ultimate CF SLX

Hi there.. As first greetings to everyone here, hope we'll have nice time together

Im into mountain biking for maybe 20 years, and last 3 years i started to ride Road Bike, and found out that i like it more then MTB.

In this moment im riding Pinarello FP3 + Campagnolo Veloce (i bought Campy record 2015 and i'll upgrade it soon) + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Wheelset. Im in plan to upgrade my frame as well, and i have big dilema which frame should i get.I like to Climb, so i prefer frame which is good for climbing. But also i ride long rides like 100-200 km per ride.My preference is good climber, fast and if its possible comfortable so long rides

So what do u reccomend to get:

1. Colnago C60

2. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

3. Something else?

4. I wont get much upgrade compared to my FP3, so better to keep it and to dont upgrade.

What do u think?

Greetings

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

bradallen226 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it's any help then I think you need to try before you buy to know this is bicycle going to do what you want it to do.

Electric Bike Kit

steviemarco | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ever thought of a Cipollini RB800 (0.8K) Bardiani use them for the mountain stages, I have one and love it for all day comfort, climbing and power transfer, it's a very good all rounder, just my opinion which everyone is entitled to.

bradallen226 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it's any help then I think you need to try before you buy to know this is bicycle going to do what you want it to do.

3Pio replied to bradallen226 | 8 years ago
0 likes
bradallen226 wrote:

If its possible to try it, that would be the best.. But to be able to try the Dogma F8 and C60 this summer, i have to drive 1000 km (i combined with my Holiday), and they had only one size of each. So one of the reason for this thread (beside sharing our enthusiasm  1 ), is that i cant try it before i buy

Bontie | 8 years ago
0 likes

I am sure both are good bikes. I have a C60 which I can best described as "refined" kind of like a SL65 Merc. It is a fast racing bike almost without feeling like it.
A mate of mien ahd a C59, then got a Ultimate CF SLX. We swopped bikes for a 10 mile section. In my opinion (and that's only my opinion) the Canyon felt "flimsy" I did not like it at all. Sure it felt stiff,fast etc, but also dead.

I have not once looked at his bike and wished I had bought one. He keeps looking at my bike every week though...

PS - I do think there is a lot of emotion involved too.

3Pio replied to Bontie | 8 years ago
0 likes
Bontie wrote:

I am sure both are good bikes. I have a C60 which I can best described as "refined" kind of like a SL65 Merc. It is a fast racing bike almost without feeling like it.
A mate of mien ahd a C59, then got a Ultimate CF SLX. We swopped bikes for a 10 mile section. In my opinion (and that's only my opinion) the Canyon felt "flimsy" I did not like it at all. Sure it felt stiff,fast etc, but also dead.

I have not once looked at his bike and wished I had bought one. He keeps looking at my bike every week though...

PS - I do think there is a lot of emotion involved too.

I missed that racing feeling while riding C60. And still wonder if i had other set of wheels, that maybe it'll be there.. But very interesting.. I rode Dogma F8 and C60 same day, same route.. Dogma F8 feel like faster bike.. But when i compare my STRAVA datas from both riding, i got better timing with C60. Still not sure which one is faster, becouse i were tired allready after riding C60, and after that i tried Dogma F8.. I wonder if tried F8 first...  1

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sorry the only thing i can compare my C60 to is Other Colnago's that ive had like a C59, M10s & a Clx 2.0 & 3.0

Closest Ive got to riding a non Colnago bike is a Ribble Gran Fondo which didn't leave me with a great feeling tbh

From what you are saying the C60 you tested didn't have the best wheels on it, some lighter/better wheels would of made a difference

It sounds like your main priority is weight so the Canyon is prob your best option

Shame as Colnago's are lovely bikes

3Pio replied to kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes
kev-s wrote:

Sorry the only thing i can compare my C60 to is Other Colnago's that ive had like a C59, M10s & a Clx 2.0 & 3.0

Closest Ive got to riding a non Colnago bike is a Ribble Gran Fondo which didn't leave me with a great feeling tbh

From what you are saying the C60 you tested didn't have the best wheels on it, some lighter/better wheels would of made a difference

It sounds like your main priority is weight so the Canyon is prob your best option

Shame as Colnago's are lovely bikes

Wow.. Thats a beautifull Colnago. And no, it's not just weight important to me. But i like to feel acceleration and responsiveness. I got that feeling in Pinarello Dogma F8 (or in wheelset of Pinarello Dogma F8), which i tested same day as C60.

So let's say ideal combination would ne climbing and responsiveness of Dogma F8, but smoothness and that confident feeling going downhill of C60 plus HighQuality craftwork of C60. But im not sure how much C60 wheelset ruined the climbing feeling of the bike..

Why i didnt ask F8 vs C60 and instead of F8 im asking for Canyon?

F8 is like 25% more money then C60 here, and Canyon is like 15-20% less then C60. I wondered if with Canyon i will get that ideal combination of C60 and F8 for less money :), but seem that its not like that  1

0 likes

Another question.. What geometry is better for climbing on C60?

Traditional or Slooping?

What are pro/cons of one vs another?

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Nice bike! That's a healthy bar drop you've got going on there!

alexn replied to DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I like healthy drop! My Canyon Aero is even more agressive! Its all about being Aero.....that is me trying to get faster without stop eating cake!

alexn | 8 years ago
0 likes

Love my C60, and it is a dream to climb, even with my 90kg on the frame! Feels solid and stable on descents as well. I dont ride the Canyon CF SLX, but friends of mine say it is fantastic as well. Price wise there can be a bit of difference.

3Pio replied to alexn | 8 years ago
0 likes
alexn wrote:

Love my C60, and it is a dream to climb, even with my 90kg on the frame! Feels solid and stable on descents as well. I dont ride the Canyon CF SLX, but friends of mine say it is fantastic as well. Price wise there can be a bit of difference.

Amazing bike u have.. I was totaly impressed from the build quality (i had a chance to see in live same colour as urs). If u have a friends with Canyon CF SLX, is it possible to try it and to compare with ur ride please?  1

hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at the Trek Emonda SLR - that is a climbing bike and is superlight! At the time when it was released, it was the lightest production bike in the world. I have the SL model - 1 down but if you're considering a C60, I'm sure the SLR isn't far off!

3Pio replied to hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes
hucko003 wrote:

Have a look at the Trek Emonda SLR - that is a climbing bike and is superlight! At the time when it was released, it was the lightest production bike in the world. I have the SL model - 1 down but if you're considering a C60, I'm sure the SLR isn't far off!

Can u please describe ur opionion about complete ride? What wheelset u ride? Some mini review?  1 Pros/Cons?

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cant comment on the Canyon but i love my Colnago C60 disc

They are not the lightest frames but Colnago say they make them to exceed the EU impact test minimum by three-and-a-half times but most actually will take an impact almost five times greater than the EU minimum and they don't skimp on the paintwork too so they look lovely

Its comfortable to be on all day, its stiff but not too stiff and every time you go for a ride you know your on something special and so do other people  16  16  16

C60 frame weighs 1050 grams
C60 forks weigh 390 grams

Canyon Frame weighs 780 grams
Canyon Forks weigh 290 grams

So a difference of 370 grams

Weight isn't everything, if you can get a test ride on a C60 go for it!

0 likes
kev-s wrote:

Cant comment on the Canyon but i love my Colnago C60 disc

They are not the lightest frames but Colnago say they make them to exceed the EU impact test minimum by three-and-a-half times but most actually will take an impact almost five times greater than the EU minimum and they don't skimp on the paintwork too so they look lovely

Its comfortable to be on all day, its stiff but not too stiff and every time you go for a ride you know your on something special and so do other people  16  16  16

C60 frame weighs 1050 grams
C60 forks weigh 390 grams

Canyon Frame weighs 780 grams
Canyon Forks weigh 290 grams

So a difference of 370 grams

Weight isn't everything, if you can get a test ride on a C60 go for it!

U find the reasons why i started thinking Canyon  1

Weight  1

As i mention in other post, i tried C60. But as i said i was still injured and a bit out of shape. I feel C60 on that riding a bit sluggish and not that fast feeling on Climbs.. Maybe it were the wheels (FastForward Tubulars )

Can u compare ur ride with something else u rode for a longer time?

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think technically I would pick the canyon but for style and heritage the colnago.
If you were going to race, stacking the canyon would have a slightly smaller impact on the wallet too.
At the end of the day they are both exceptional bikes and will be very good tho, so whichever fits you better or would make you want to ride more is the one.

3Pio replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thats the problem  1 Without proper testing of both, i cant decide which suite me better.. So thats why trying to figure out this way  1

Here the price of C60 is just 15-20% more then it would be if i buy Canyon, so the price is not the reason to choose one or another..

Another bike that im considering is Pinarello Dogma F8 (this frame would be like 20-25% more then C60)

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm intrigued by your shortlist! A heritage brand with some old skool tech v an online only value for money brand?

Both great bikes I'm sure, I've no experience of either so can't help much- enjoy choosing!

3Pio replied to allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes i know it's sound strange  1 I know that C60 is beautiful bike, with Highquality craftwork. I also understund the history, the heritage of the brand... But as i explained  1 I really like to climb hills on the bike.. I never tried Canyon, but im reading that it's great climbing bike, and mabe better for this then C60. Since im in plan to upgrade not becouse of just look, or snobbery, more for better performance , thats why im in some kind of thinking which one should be right bike for me..

Thanks for reply anyway  1

allanj replied to 3Pio | 8 years ago
0 likes
krell wrote:

Yes i know it's sound strange  1 I know that C60 is beautiful bike, with Highquality craftwork. I also understund the history, the heritage of the brand... But as i explained  1 I really like to climb hills on the bike.. I never tried Canyon, but im reading that it's great climbing bike, and mabe better for this then C60. Since im in plan to upgrade not becouse of just look, or snobbery, more for better performance , thats why im in some kind of thinking which one should be right bike for me..

If it's any help then I think you need to try before you buy to know this is bike going to do what you want it to do.

0 likes

Just to mention that i upgrade my wheelset this days (from Most Chall), to Campagnolo Shamal Ultra.

AMAZING difference.. Now my FP3 become much more responsive, faster, better climbing bike....Few ridings, and i beat all my Personal records on that routes...

Another reason to wonder should i upgrade my frame?  1

0 likes
allanj wrote:
krell wrote:

If it's any help then I think you need to try before you buy to know this is bike going to do what you want it to do.

The problem is that i cant try them properly, so one of the reason i post this thread  1

I contact Canyon to go to Germany (cheap fligths), and to try the new Ultimate, but they respond its not possible except some riding around their officess (if there is not a ride at least 50 km, its not proper testing).

About Colnago C60, i had a chance to try it (i ride it for 60 km) this summer.. But the problem was that i was injuried and out of shape (i fall down from my fixie bike like three months ago, and finnally i can stretch my arm this week). Another problem were that different wheelset from mine, so very different feeling..

But from that ride what i like on C60:

- Very Comfortable

- Very Stable on downhill

- Very good quaility (paint, details.. Amazing..)

What i dont like:

- I feel it a bit sluggish, and not very responsive (again im not sure that maybe wheelset made this feeling)..

The wheelset were FastForward tubular carbon

Just to mention that in same day i tried Pinarello Dogma F8, so this is also one of the choices that im thinking about.

What i like for Dogma F8 :

- Very responsive

- Feeling very fast

What i dont like it:

- Not that stable on downhill (handlebar were a bit too low, so maybe this also made this feeling)

- Very harsh (i feel it every litle stone on my back)

This feeling its possible to be because of the wheelset (Bora Ultra 50)

- Quality of paint not on level with C60. Actually i was a bit disappointed when considering the price of this frame

Sorry that i didnt write for few days, but i had some nice ridings  1 so not so much time for the forum  1

Latest Comments