Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carrying a crutch while cycling

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this please.

I can't walk far, but can cycle. I usually carry a crutch to use when I reach my destination. It's a normal elbow crutch, nothing special, that I shorten. I've looked at foldable crutches, but tbh, they're either not that much shorter, or they have an open elbow brace, which annoyingly falls off.

I've never found a method of strapping it to my road bike (48cm Spesh Dolce/Kinesis Racelight/others) where I was comfortable with the position it was in (going through Central London, I really don't want stuff protruding from my bike). Therefore, I've been carrying it attached to my rucksack - an old Karrimor 30l.

Unfortunately, my Karrimor is knackered, and the newer version doesn't have the same webbing and strap arrangement. I've attached a picture of how I usually carry the crutch - I tuck it under the webbing, then reverse the straps, and tie the end to the top loop (so it doesn't move sideways and turn into a joust). Tbh, it's not the best bag, and it's a bit of a faff attaching it, but when done correctly, it doesn't move at all.

Ideally, I'd like:
- a slimline/fast and secure method where I don't have to carry a bulky bag.
- a new backpack (~30l) which is more comfortable.

I've spent a good part of this afternoon squinting at pictures of backpacks/rucksacks. A friend has suggested a Dakine Heli Pack which has a part to carry skis, but I'm not sure where the crutch handle would go.
(I tried a friend's Grivel rock climbing bag and it was great with plenty of loops, but ~£65 new which I can't afford/justify.
http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product/grivel-marmolada-28/?gclid=CNuNi... )

Does anyone have any better ideas please? Particularly for the less-fuss option.

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

comanchemoon | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think there might be a little overthinking going on. I think the crutch can be quite securely attached with bungee cords assuming you can attach them horizontally. They could fall through if you tried it vertically. Good luck

DaveE128 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, perhaps a bike trailer then? A lot of extra weight to pull though  2

DaveE128 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do you have a pannier rack?

http://www.onemk.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/2015/5/cycling-quest-cycl...

However this approach has limitations:

http://cycleseven.org/let-me-eat-cake

(read the text!)

Top tube might be the way to go if you have traditional geometry.

dottigirl replied to DaveE128 | 8 years ago
0 likes

DaveE128 wrote:

Do you have a pannier rack?

<snip>

Top tube might be the way to go if you have traditional geometry.

No pannier rack, and I struggle to lift my leg over the wheel to get on/off some days (I often lay the bike over slightly). So panniers would be a no-no, sorry.

Geomertry is compact on all bikes (sloping top tube). I just can't get the crutch to sit in any position on the bike where it's not interfering with me or the bike.

BBRAP | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can you not modify the crutch so that it comes apart (thus making it more transportable?). The height adjust on that type of crutch is a tube within a tube, if you used the same method (the little spring buttons locking into holes in the outer tube) you could separate the top section by cutting in half and using a thinner inner tube with spring button to join it back together. All the bits you need could be cobbled together from a spare crutch. Any half decent engineer type could do the mod in less than half an hour.

dottigirl replied to BBRAP | 8 years ago
0 likes

DaveE128 wrote:

Same problem in laying the bike over, I'm afraid. Plus being a smaller frame, there's no room on the seatpost for any more attachments.

BBRAP wrote:

Can you not modify the crutch so that it comes apart (thus making it more transportable?). The height adjust on that type of crutch is a tube within a tube, if you used the same method (the little spring buttons locking into holes in the outer tube) you could separate the top section by cutting in half and using a thinner inner tube with spring button to join it back together. All the bits you need could be cobbled together from a spare crutch. Any half decent engineer type could do the mod in less than half an hour.

Not totally sure how to do this, but I have spare crutches so will have a think. Not sure how much it would compromise the integrity of the crutch to have extra joins though.

DaveE128 replied to dottigirl | 8 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

DaveE128 wrote:

Same problem in laying the bike over, I'm afraid. Plus being a smaller frame, there's no room on the seatpost for any more attachments.

I suppose I was more thinking of the sort that attaches at the rear axle. I think these allow the bike to be leaned over. Either the Bob-Trailer (one-wheeled) sort which leans with the bike, or the two-wheel sort that have a pivot in the hitch.

If you can get them in a backpack without it getting in the rear wheel or catching on tree branches, that is surely the way to go though!

nopants | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the Decathlon mountaineering/ski packs. I've had a couple of different models for years and they've been really robust (and cheap!)

dottigirl replied to nopants | 8 years ago
0 likes

crikey wrote:

Any rucksack with the capability to carry an Ice Axe will do; check out Decathlon for cheaper versions. Basically you stick the long thing be it axe or crutch through the bottom loop then twist it upwards and secure it using straps. Ice climbing or mountaineering packs tend to be narrower than day sacs and are much better on bikes. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-313376-mountaineering-backpacks Look at the Simond range..

nopants wrote:

I'd second the Decathlon mountaineering/ski packs. I've had a couple of different models for years and they've been really robust (and cheap!)

Thanks to you both. When I checked Decathlon before, they didn't pop up.

I've ordered one of the Simonds - it'll be a little small for my shopping, but should be fine for my trips into London. Fingers crossed!

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Any rucksack with the capability to carry an Ice Axe will do; check out Decathlon for cheaper versions. Basically you stick the long thing be it axe or crutch through the bottom loop then twist it upwards and secure it using straps.

Ice climbing or mountaineering packs tend to be narrower than day sacs and are much better on bikes.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-313376-mountaineering-backpacks

Look at the Simond range..

Jacobi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, what about an air rifle case that you can sling over your shoulder? It can be folded away into a back pack when your crutch is being used.

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/accessories/air-gun-bags-cases/gun-bag-...

Or perhaps a takedown recurve bow bag from an archery store? Some of them come about 3 feet long with shoulder straps. These links will give you an idea of what I'm on about.

https://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/product/916/ZZ06+Longshot+Ta...

KirinChris replied to Jacobi | 8 years ago
1 like
Jacobi wrote:

Hi, what about an air rifle case that you can sling over your shoulder? It can be folded away into a back pack when your crutch is being used.

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/accessories/air-gun-bags-cases/gun-bag-...

Nope, I can't foresee any problems riding around with a long metallic object in a rifle case.

VeloPeo replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

Nope, I can't foresee any problems riding around with a long metallic object in a rifle case.....

....in Central London.

Bikebikebike | 8 years ago
0 likes

You should be fine with a Dakine heli pack. It's got loops for carrying skis diagonally, which will work perfectly with your crutch - you'll probably have to have the handle at the top rather than the bottom. Suggest you go into a shop and give it a go.

They're also hydration compatible so you can stick a camelback in there as well.

Might be a bit small if you want 30l though.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The elbow, I would have it in front of the steer tube, ensuring it doesn't snare the cables. The handle would face downwards, then either cable tie or better for convenience velcro straps to the seat tube to keep it as horizontal as possible

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

Does it have to be a crutch?

Could you use a collapsible walking stick?

After busting my hip I found a very light carbon fibre stick that folded up easily into a briefcase or backpack.

dottigirl replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

Does it have to be a crutch?

Could you use a collapsible walking stick?

After busting my hip I found a very light carbon fibre stick that folded up easily into a briefcase or backpack.

I feel more stable with a crutch.

Admittedly, there's probably a psychological element to this - a crutch looks more temporary than a walking stick. I'm still in my thirties.  2

crikey | 8 years ago
1 like

Never mind the crutch, how does the parrot stay on?

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Crutches are usually height adjustable. Set it to low and strap along top tube. It will hang out past the seat but unlikely go beyond the rear wheel.

dottigirl replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Crutches are usually height adjustable. Set it to low and strap along top tube. It will hang out past the seat but unlikely go beyond the rear wheel.

Thanks. If you look at the pic, you'll see I've already shortened it as much as possible. My top tubes are also sloping - the end of the crutch hits the wheel or goes into the spokes. I've tried it horizontal, but there still isn't clearance.

The crutch is about 85cm long, but there is a handle and elbow brace which complicate matters.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Skateboard backpack?

I've got a Karrimor Urban 30l and also a smaller version sitting here there hardly get use if that might be of help to you?

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

You could try a photographer's back pack that has straps/loops/laces for attaching a tripod ? These bags are not cheap but are usually very robust and the compartments inside can be taken out to accommodate all the usual everyday stuff. Lowepro and Tamrac etc. are good makes. Look on photography retailers sites.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Could you just use some toestraps and lash it to your bike frame on the top tube and seat tube so it follows the frame direction...
It may not work tho coz it could get in the way of your knee's or could also interfere with the cabling in front of the headtube or could just be too long..

dottigirl replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

Could you just use some toestraps and lash it to your bike frame on the top tube and seat tube so it follows the frame direction...
It may not work tho coz it could get in the way of your knee's or could also interfere with the cabling in front of the headtube or could just be too long..

Thanks. The latter part applies - as mentioned, I ride a 48cm which simply doesn't have the room, even when the crutch is shortened (to 85cm). I just haven't been able to find a way to sit it along any of the tubes without affecting steering.
I don't want it to interfere with or change my pedalling either - with joint problems, that's almost-guaranteed to set off pain elsewhere.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Overboard have some good backpacks and they're on sale at the link below has some webbing like your Karrimor might be useful. I have one of these for my commute and can totally recommend it as a bag to keep everything in it dry.

http://www.northeastkayaks.co.uk/overboard-classic-backpack.html?utm_sou...

dottigirl replied to Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

You could try a photographer's back pack that has straps/loops/laces for attaching a tripod ?

Will have a look at them, thanks.

Nat Jas Moe wrote:

Overboard have some good backpacks and they're on sale at the link below has some webbing like your Karrimor might be useful.

Thanks. Have looked but there's not enough straps to secure it (needs something at the top and bottom) as the webbing alone isn't usually enough.

Gkam84 wrote:

Skateboard backpack?

Ooh, now that could be a possible, thank you. A google shows me they use two thick horizontal velcro straps - I'll have to find a shop which sells them to try one out. Upside-down, the handle would stop it dropping out, but I'm not sure how near-vertical it would stay.

I popped to Snow & Rock today and found a Deuter climbing/hiking rucksack which had enough straps to work, but the actual backpack was a bit flimsy.

Gkam84 wrote:

I've got a Karrimor Urban 30l and also a smaller version sitting here there hardly get use if that might be of help to you?

With compression straps? That would be very kind of you.

Latest Comments