Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

-17 degree stem

I saw a nice frame for sale the other day but the only way it would fit me (based on my professional fit measurements) would be to use a -17 degrees stem. This got me thinking as I rule out most bikes/frames on stack and reach measurements but is it uncommon to use a more than -6/-7 stem? Are there any disadvantages?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

lesterama | 3 years ago
0 likes

I use -17 degree stems on two bikes. All good. The main complication is that there is no standard way to define stem length. Manufacturers may measure centre to centre: along the centre of the stem: along the longer edge of the stem; along the shorter length of the stem. This makes little odds for a 6-degree stem, but a centimetre or more for 17-degree....

mikewood | 3 years ago
0 likes

Had a -17 but it wasn't low enough as the headtube was too big. Now gone to a -24 as that's as low as I can get. Big drawback with the -17 was that it puts the Garmin level if you have it mounted on the stem. Not good in the wet!

fizzydroadie | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a bike fit and now have a 120mm -17 degree stem. Works well for me and can't really think of a reason against them. Looks good too

OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
0 likes

I use a -17 stem on my Ridley Noah SL, it has quite a long head tube so I find it necessary to keep my regular position.

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Why wouldn't you use a -17deg stem?

Sometimes the reach will be right but modern head tubes are sometimes longer than a rider might want. If you size down to lower the stack you'll lose reach. Of course then you could use a longer stem instead.

It just one way of customising bike fit isn't it. People think nothing of using a shorter or longer stem. Or the less obvious (to external people) shuffling the saddle back or forward on its rails, or using shorter cranks.

So why not a 17deg stem?

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

I use -17d stems on a couple of my bikes. They, and other angles, exist in order for riders to achieve a particular fit so why wouldn't you use one when necessary? You're more limited for options now than you once were, not as many manufactures offer them and never in carbon. since sloping top tubes took over a -17 doesn't really look right on a compact frame anyway, but for a bike with a horizontal top tube it looks spot on to have the stem parallel

AfterPeak | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah sorry this was more a hypothetical question. I don't intend to buy it but wondered how many people use non "standard" stems. Online it seems that -17 even -20 are commonly available so people must be using them. Using one would mean you were using the correct size frame but achieving the desired stack. Same as you would by flipping the stem or using a inline/layback seat post. Just a though. Probably totally wrong.

njblackadder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Use whatever you wish, if it makes you happy. In this instance though it does beg the question, 'why go to the trouble and expense of a bike fitting, to then consider buying something that doesn't fit!!?'

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I dont see any disadvantages with using a -17 degree stem, it will allow you to ride a bike that is the wrong size for you.

cyclisto replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

-17? I wish I was that flexible!

I have used very happily a +17 stem with no issues. It is mostly the stem length that I have found great differences in steering sensitivity.

Latest Comments