Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

1000k Challenge for GIST Support UK

I am looking for 10-15 riders to join me riding 1000km in 8 days across France, from the English Channel to the Mediterranean from September 10th - 17th 2016 for GIST Support UK, a cancer charity. 

My dad suffers from GIST - a rare type of cancer. I rode this route last year for GIST Support UK, raising over £4,000. This year I want to do it again with more people and raise even more!

The Ride 

We'll get the ferry from Portsmouth to Ouistreham in Normandy on the afternoon of Friday 9th September, stay on the coast overnight and start the ride the following morning, Saturday 10th September, arriving at Sète (near Montpellier) on the med on the evening of Saturday 17th September.

The ride itself is truly fantastic. The route is exactly 1000k and avoids major towns and major roads the whole way. The roads are incredibly quiet and well-surfaced and the scenery is amazing. France is basically a very empty country! The few drivers you do encounter are very considerate compared to the UK. 

This video of my ride last year will give you an idea of the roads and scenery etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF86zG7VV0g

The days will be fairly long - 110-150k each day (most days will be 120-130k) with no rest days. It gets pretty hilly and hot as you go south. This is a challenging ride but very doable for people in reasonable shape with a decent road or touring bike. 

Please get in touch if you're interested or have any questions.

Thanks,

Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments