Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

10 v 11 speed compatibility (again)

Just pondering a new rear derailleur. Currently I have an old Campy 10 speed rear derailleur (Veloce), so obviously the rest of my drive train is 10 speed. I'm going to upgrade to Record, but wonder if my 10 speed setup will work still if I buy an 11 speed derailleur.

I understand that the horizontal distance a derailleur travels per click is determined by both the amount of cable pulled, which is likely different between 10 and 11 speed, and the angle it moves through. I don't know whether the angle is different with an 11 speed derailleur.

Hope that makes sense. My chain is an 11 speed chain andmy chainset is also 11 speed, both of which work fine with a 10 speed fron derailleur and changers.

Thanks for your combined wisdom.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just wait until you can do shifters cassette and rear mech at the same time.

Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/campy-10-rd-11-spe...

this is with prae-2015 shifters, so, with those, you can make your 10speed derailleurs work quite well.

Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
0 likes

prae-2015 (so 2009-2014) 11speed shifters seem to work acceptably with old 10speed derailleurs on a 11spd cassette. be aware though, that 2015 and latter record-chorus-sr shifters-derailleurs are designed with different cable pull and actuation ratio.

therefore, I would suggest you to upgrade all, or nothing  1

MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yes, this is part of a grdual move to 11 speed. I looked at the posts on Velonews and none seem to directly address my query, mostly they are around inter-make compatibility.

AKH | 7 years ago
1 like

VeloNews have covered 10 and 11 speed compatability for all brands quite a few times. You might find something on searching there.

http://velonews.competitor.com/search?type=web&searchpage=1&q=10+11+spee...

I'm not sure how much difference the rear derailleur makes in isolation though. I'd stick with what you have unless it's part of a plan to move to a full 11 speed setup.

Latest Comments