Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

'Oh no, Mr Squirrel!' or talking to yourself on rides

Some of us ride alone, and with no one to talk to on a long ride one tends to concoct many to do lists and enraged emails which are never sent. Occasionally some words slip out when I see a dead critter like 'Oh no, Mr Squirrel!' or insert Mrs Squirrel, Mr Hedgehog,  Mr Magpie, even Mr Badger.

Another of my favourites is 'Make your mind up, MAKE YOUR MIND UP!' said to cars sticking their noses out of side streets.

What other little phrases do you say to yourself/other road users?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

nniff | 5 years ago
1 like

My calm-down-tune is "Singing in the rain" - if I find it very therapeutic if the traffic is oppressive.  Similarly, when the sun's out and you're bowling along - nothing better.

Lots of "Hello, horse".  Cows for some reason get "Ey up, beasts".

I will resist the $ thing.  I know I'd doomed the next time I conscously see one though.

Kendalred | 5 years ago
0 likes

For no reason whatsoever I had 'I can't go back to savoury now' by John Shuttleworth going round my head on yesterday afternoon's commute.

Bizarre.

The biggest non-human hazard on my commute - usually Herdwick sheep, ambling out of the way with all the time in the world. A loud 'come on then!' usually does the trick eventually.

Alessandro | 5 years ago
1 like

I was going round Dalmeny Estate this morning in the north west of Edinburgh and it was dark so, naturally, I ended up started singing (in my head) Dalmey in the Dark to the tune of Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark. 

The only noise I made in the hour or so that I was out was a pretend gun noise to get a nye of pheasants (yes, I did have to google what a group of pheasants is called) to move out of the way. Daft buggers. 

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
2 likes

Finally, this thread has been saved by our resident Road.cc 'Spokesman for squirrel related information' yes.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

Thanks for resurrecting this thread - I can't believe I hadn't commented on it before now.

I usually just say to myself "who's eating this avocado?"

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

I have found myself, when encountering those large, glossy black birds, to semi sing, "To orangey for crows..."

Shades | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just switched to my winter 'green lane' commuting route.  Normally loads of lazy pheasants running in front of the bike with me shouting, "Take-off!"

themartincox | 7 years ago
2 likes

Bonjour Mr Cow

or "boeuf" - but oddly, this only gets uttered when I see French cows, obviously UK cows wouldnt understand

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

I say nothing......just in case there's someone silently taking a wheel behind me. Only good manners to look behind before you let rip though.

I tend to daydream on solo rides. A mile will pass and suddenly I'll realise that I've not paid any attention at all. or it felt like it. Obviously I must somehow have been paying attention but my mind will be wandering off to other things I want to do sometimes, like build an arcade cabinet.

Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
0 likes

I commentate on myself as if I'm in a pro race.

Leviathan replied to Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
2 likes

Danger Dicko wrote:

I commentate on myself as if I'm in a pro race.

The crowd gasp at Cocker's masterful control of the bicycle,
skillfully avoiding the dog turd outside the corner shop.

RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

"Mint Sauce" to sheep

"Mustard" to cows

"Do you know what the indicator stalk is for" to - guess who!

The all-too-often "Aaaaarrgh"angel (I'm making an effort to moderate my language in case I forget myself in front of my grandson)

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Errrmmm... 'No! Nooo! thank you!' to cars that might drive out in front of me

'Come on bike, win the Tour!' when climbing out of the saddle

And my all time favourite: 'spin don't lug'

Plus plenty of advice to myself 'come ON', the perennial 'shut up legs' etc.

And a lot of 'hello sparrow/magpie/cows' etc

Plus 'good morning' to cyclists overtaking, or on the occasion that I overtake others - joggers too, because otherwise they might step out into the road.

MrMajic | 7 years ago
0 likes

I thought it was just me!

"This drink is, this drink is, this drink is isotonic" (This beat is technotronic - Technotronic)

"Change up, stand up" (Get up, stand up - Bob Marley)

"He once, was a great descender" (The great pretender - Elvis) - although now I've googled the lyrics I realise it should be "oh yes I'm the great pretender"

"look up at the mountain I have to climb" (Miles from nowhere, Cat Stevens). Usually at the foot of a climb as I glance up to size up my foe.

I also take "Slow" signs (usually near a blind hill crest) as an insult and speed up while denying being slow. 

I also make a "kerching" cash register sound when I make a perfect straight line on  the "S" of "SLOW" because that makes a $. But I do feel guilty because one should really cross on the horizontal section of the "L" as this the least amount of (slippery) paint to cross.   

I've got issues. 

stem replied to MrMajic | 7 years ago
1 like

MrMajic wrote:

I also make a "kerching" cash register sound when I make a perfect straight line on  the "S" of "SLOW" because that makes a $. But I do feel guilty because one should really cross on the horizontal section of the "L" as this the least amount of (slippery) paint to cross.

Oh god, I hope I forget this before I ride next.

MrMajic replied to stem | 7 years ago
1 like

stem wrote:

MrMajic wrote:

So you won't thank me for pointing out that three $ in a row (i.e. not missing one) is a big win. Three yellow ones (the S in BUS STOP) uninterrupted is the jackpot.  

hennie replied to MrMajic | 7 years ago
1 like

MrMajic]</p>

<p>[quote=stem wrote:

MrMajic wrote:

So you won't thank me for pointing out that three $ in a row (i.e. not missing one) is a big win. Three yellow ones (the S in BUS STOP) uninterrupted is the jackpot.  

[/quote

Oh boy, this new dollar thing is here to stay. Bit like changing the toilet roll round when people leave it dangling out the back  Once you start, there's no going back!

hennie | 7 years ago
1 like

When I ride over SLOW on the road I always end up singing "Slow Down You Move Too Fast" by Simon & Garfunkel. It's wishful thinking really, because I usually am going SLOW and I feel like the road is just rubbing it in

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Del Amitri "Another Letter Home" when going up steep ones. It's got the perfect timbre for a 12% incline.

vonhelmet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I always find myself singing Dream Catch Me by Newton Faulkner. It took me ages to figure out why, but I eventually worked out that it's from looking at the hills ahead or seeing where I'm off to and thinking "That's where I'm going" which is one of the lines in the song.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sadly, I find myself counting pedal strokes out loud sometimes....

BobbyG | 7 years ago
5 likes

Usually just "well f*** off then!" to other cyclists who fail to acknowledge me  1

Neil Gander | 7 years ago
1 like

"Hello girls!" to the sheep.mail

This is in tribute to my late friend, Pete.

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another favourite of mine, after a car pauses in the dark/gloom "I CAN'T SEE YOU WAVING IN YOUR METAL BOX" just flash or use your right of way and I will know what you are doing.

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
1 like

High cadence climbing to an internal refrain of either "Freed from desire" by Gala or "From Paris to Berlin" by Infernal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3l7fgvrEKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THt5u-i2d9k

Carton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mostly just different inflections of either "Good Day" at humans and  "Dog" at dogs.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

Generally say hello to livestock here in the New Forest as arriving unannounced behind one of the ponies really isn't advisable. Currently pannage season so the hogs are out on the Forest - had a group running alongside me last week (pigs are surprisingly fast runners once up to speed)

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
2 likes

I yell "Wanker!" at the occasional close passer. I also tend to yell "Careful fella!" if I see a bird or animal cross the road in an ill-advised manner.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
3 likes

"If you're going, go!" gets used a lot.

And many words that are not suitable for a family audience.

HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
3 likes

I usually moo at inquisitive cows as I ride past.  A friendly moo.  I like cows.

Pheasants are possibly the most stupid birds ever and don't get out of the way, even when I'm riding towards them whooping and generally calling them names.  There really can't be much sport involved in shooting them.

Pages

Latest Comments