Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

7 Month old bike needs £300 worth of parts and labour

I have a Ribble Sportive Racer purchased in July last year and done 6250kms. In recent months the bottom bracket has become rather crunchy. I looked at replacing it and am familiar with replacing Hollowtech BBs and have the tools, however this one is Pressfit. I neither have the tools or knowledge to replace it. I am rather disappointed with the quality of this design; though to be honest BB type was not an issue in my decision to buy. So I've taken it into a well know high street chain of bike shops for a service.

The service quote is £298.91 when the bike itself cost about £1100 just last summer. Apparently I need a new cassette (maybe fair, third chain) need a brake caliper (as the rear one is a little stiff from a muddy winter, I often put tape over the gaps as I've had issues like this before, but this happens every winter) need new headset bearings because there is about half a mm of play in the fork, apparently tightening this one up is not possible,) need new brake pads (though I have more at home and put new ones on a month ago,) need new bar tape (though I don't really give an eff about a few frayed tape ends) and need new cabling (though again the bike is only a few months old.)

I feel like they are taking me for a ride, they sent me a nebulus list of item codes which I had to look up on the website. I am sure the bike will be smashing if I pay for all this, but apart from the BB and cassette most of these things are just natural wear that will recur in a couple of months and would never cause an issue. The cabling is particularly egregious; it can't be stretched by now; it is like they can't index the gears incase they jab their little fingers. Just crimp it, the little bobbin they stick on the end will drop off after a week guaranteed.

I feel annoyed that I will have to stand there telling them why I think they are wrong or I don't need this or that, whilst they stand their sucking their teeth imply that if I don't get everything done that my bike will explode. I came in asking for a bottom bracket and service, just greasing and tightening and realigning a few things shouldn't require half a rebuild. If I have to pay this kind of money every six months I could just buy a mountain bike in Halfords and throw it away.

Thoughts gentlemen and dottigirls? Does this sound reasonable?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
3 likes

"well known high street chain" 

That would be enough for me to be exceptionally circumspect in what I asked them to do in the first place.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a rip-off! Surely the caliper can removed and try flushing it out with some WD40 before replacing it?! Have you looked at the headset bearings to see if they're worn and don't just need snugging up? I replaced my press-fit bottom bracket recently and have the tools. It's a dead easy job and would be happy to meet up and give you a hand if you want.

If I had to guess the shop I'd guess Evans?

Pages

Latest Comments