Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Anyone that actually likes cars on here?

I love riding my bike but I also love a bit of petrol (not diesel!) fired transport. After fighting the urge for last 7 years, I've just bought myself an Audi TT (mk1) that'll I'll hopefully maintain until they reach classic status.

I did think about getting another motorbike but since parenthood there are too many non-fault variables that can lead to you having a very bad day on a motorbike -  so I chose the more sensible option.

Given a lottery win, I'm happy to say I'd have dozen of cars. GT40s, AC Cobras, Lancia Deltas, Mk2 Golfs, the lot!

Anyone else that doesn't see cars as the devil?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

75 comments

eddycreative | 6 years ago
0 likes

Of course, i have a ford mustang ecoboost  1

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

I have F150 Raptor 6.2

Bigtwin | 6 years ago
0 likes

I live in the South of England, so cars are just a very expensive way to sit in endless traffic jams and road works being late for things.  It was very different even 15 years ago, and when I lived abroad, when driving could be fun, as riding bikes is. Not any more though.

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a big ugly diesel 4WD, which I love. I only have it because of my work (Builder, rural) but I do love it. I love lots of other cars too. Have driven a lot of high marque cars (was an estate manager in a former life) and the only 2 cars I'd spend lotto money on were an Aston Vantage, and a Range Rover. Drove all sorts of italian and german frippery, but the only one that made grabbed my soul was the Aston. If I can't have the RR I'll take a Bentley Arnage instead. There is no finer way to cover the miles  1

Simboid | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've gone right off cars, they're now just transport for me, the family and 'stuff'.

Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe I've finally found some wisdom, but once I started deliberately driving with less haste I noticed it made no difference at all to journey times (which are mainly dictated by the traffic in front of you) and it was a calmer experience all round with less money spent on fuel.

Having said that I'd own a defender, a DS19 or a mk1b Golf (the best looking one) tomorrow. I'd still keep the Passat estate though.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yup, love cars.  Except when I am cycling, when all cars are noisy pollution spewing transport for cretins!

Skills I've learned as a driver help me as a cyclist (e.g. positioning, lines through bends, braking etc) and equally, being a cyclist has made me a more considerate and aware driver.

froze | 6 years ago
1 like

How can you not love cars?  I love cars, I love to play with them, and play hard with them. 

I have a 09 Acura TL Tech that runs pretty fast for a 6 cylinder sedan, the reason I bought it for was because it was the fastest 4 dr sedan that was in my price, it will run a quarter mile right at 14 seconds which is not bad for a 6 cyclinder 4 dr sedan that gets 29 mpg at 80 mph. Never had a front wheel drive car before so I had to teach myself how to drift one after watching You Tube videos! 

I also have a 94 Ford F150 with the 302, that's my camper hauling and other hauling vehicle, performance on that sucks as does the gas mileage, but it keeps working so I keep using it. 

I also have a excellent condition 79 Chevy Camaro Z28 with a built 350 that puts out about 400 hp (stock was only 190!), it's a burnout champ due to the light rearend, but it's fun to drift. 

Then finally I have a mint bone stock 67 Galaxy 500 Conv with a 390 V8 4 barrel setup, it's a fun car for long summer drives...well the only thing that isn't stock was I replaced the mechanical points with Pertronics electronic points so I don't have to fool around with replacing those every 12k to 15k miles and they stay in timed, but it's easy to convert back to mech points, in fact I carry a brand new set of mech points in the trunk just in case the electronic one should ever fry.

I had 3 other vintage cars I had for very long time but I sold them all over the past year, I could no longer keep them where I had them because my friend died and his wife was selling the house that had the poll barn where I kept them along with his vast collection, his wife sold off almost his entire collection of 32 cars over the year...god I wish I could have bought a couple, but no place to store them where I live.

barbarus | 6 years ago
1 like

Hell yeah I do. I mean, obviously they drop a lot of hairs and you can have more of a meaningful relationship with a dog, but cats are ok. Oh hang on...

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

If only had money to buy a car then I will buy AC Cobras for its vintage look.

Beecho | 6 years ago
1 like

I bloody love my car, all 1.1l of it. 50mpg and it does 0-60. Had it 9 years from new: 33,000 on the clock. And most importantly, 2 road bikes in B’Twin bike bags fit on the back seat. Suitcase in the boot and we’re off! Papa? Nicole...

audrey27 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes! I love cars and bicycles,  but I usually go out cycling often times. It's pretty good to go out and just go cycling on a peaceful and quiet road.

audrey27 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes! I love cars and bicycles, but I usually go out cycling often times. It's pretty good to go out and just go cycling on a peaceful and quiet road.

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm going back to a shopping car. Having a faster car wasn't quite the fun I imagined it to be.

£305 tax

25mph regardsless of driving style

stuck in 45 mph traffic unless I start driving like an utter c'nt

only really getting the benefits of a faster car at 80mph+

roads are now so bad my fillings will fall out with harder suspension

no point taking it on a track day as it's not 'disposable' so I won't be using it properly

should have bought another motorbike but can't trust myself to behave on them

could have bought a decent ultegra spec'd bike with money I've wasted.

Oh well, live and learn. At least it's got really nice seats I suppose.

Oh yeah, and I can't put a normal bike rack on it either.

Crampy | 5 years ago
3 likes

Ex car mechanic and boy racer here. I love cars. Fucking hate drivers, though.

froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

I love cars and bicycles.  I don't have anything fancy anymore, I sold 3 of my vintage cars off last year, so what I have left is a 67 Ford Galaxy 500 convertible with a 390 cubic inch engine and a 4 barrel carb, it's mostly 100% stock I did change the points to a Pertronics electronic point system so I wouldn't have to mess with the points anymore, but otherwise all stock.  a 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with a 350 cubic inch engine and a 4 barrel, that car was the worst performing Z28 ever put out and I own it!  yippe me LOL!!  I have done some minor work to get the power up but nothing big, but it does great at smoking tires due to a lot torque but no horsepower from that disco era choked up 350.  I also have a 94 Ford F150 Harley Davidson edition pickup truck with a 351 cubic inch engine fuel injected; that one I'm going to this summer have a free flowing exhaust put on which should perk up the performance a bit.  And finally a stock 2009 Acura TL Tech which can easily beat my Camaro in a drag race as well as the Galaxy!  In fact that darn Acura has beaten 3 Mustang GT's!  as well as some other cars including a Dodge Charger RT with a V8 hemi.

New car engines have come a long ways this past 5 years with some smoking hot engines.  Not sure what's available in Europe and the UK but the best deal right now in a performance car is the 2017 and 2018 Dodge Charger RT Scat Pack, this thing will go 180 mph and pull a quarter mile time of 12.7 seconds.  Of course the Charger Hellcat is the fastest but it will cost you about $25,000 more over the Scat Pack, and all that $25,000 gives you is 20 mph higher top speed and a quarter mile of 11.8 which is only 9/10ths of a second faster then the Scat Pack.  All that fun in a 4 door family car!

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mmm...kinda....I like the aesthetic look of only a very few (usually retro) classic cars for the sane reason I like the look of retro bikes. So for instance I loved the convertible e type that Prince Harry drove out  of Windsor castle in a few days ago.

As for cars in general I find them to be as dull as dishwater....not interested in the slightest...even though I've owned a few good cars as family vehicles...

Kristina29 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I definitely don't think cars are the devil..

I love my bike, but I also like my Infinity:)

Dr Ofsereb | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've owned 19 motorcycles and around 25 cars of various types, so I probably fall into the 'yes' camp.... More about practicality these days though, space/4x4 when the snow came etc.....

GBurch | 5 years ago
0 likes

In response to the general question, I am a fan of both cars and bikes. Not sure if there is a strong preference for one over the other. I would say it depends on the day and the mood, but I actually like both  1 

IanD | 5 years ago
1 like

Love both as do many on here.

Love driving and fortunate to have some great driving roads easily accesible in Scotland.

Love cycling too and have an intense distrust of drivers when I'm on two wheels.

In saying that, had far more issues when driving old Volvo estate than ever when cycling. Do find it funny that they've almost all stopped now that I'm in a ten month old 335d xdrive Touring. Just goes to show that some drivers seem to have a pecking order and even some other car drivers will be treated with contempt by them if the car is seen as stereotypically slow.

That then gets applied to anyone riding a bike regardless of the actual speed they are doing.

Do get very annoyed at other drivers getting too close to anyone riding a bike or entering ASL boxes, but the two hipsters cycling side by side through south side of Glasgow this evening didn't do us any favours at all.

Anyway - yes, another who does love both and going to all levels from Grand Tours/Grand Prix, to local events on road and track/circuit/hillclimb.

EdelmiraDimucci | 5 years ago
0 likes

What is a situation of public transport fairs? I have been upset by these high petrol rates. 

Simboid replied to froze | 6 years ago
2 likes

froze wrote:

How can you not love cars?  I love cars, I love to play with them, and play hard with them. 

I have a 09 Acura TL Tech that runs pretty fast for a 6 cylinder sedan, the reason I bought it for was because it was the fastest 4 dr sedan that was in my price, it will run a quarter mile right at 14 seconds which is not bad for a 6 cyclinder 4 dr sedan that gets 29 mpg at 80 mph. Never had a front wheel drive car before so I had to teach myself how to drift one after watching You Tube videos! 

I also have a 94 Ford F150 with the 302, that's my camper hauling and other hauling vehicle, performance on that sucks as does the gas mileage, but it keeps working so I keep using it. 

I also have a excellent condition 79 Chevy Camaro Z28 with a built 350 that puts out about 400 hp (stock was only 190!), it's a burnout champ due to the light rearend, but it's fun to drift. 

Then finally I have a mint bone stock 67 Galaxy 500 Conv with a 390 V8 4 barrel setup, it's a fun car for long summer drives...well the only thing that isn't stock was I replaced the mechanical points with Pertronics electronic points so I don't have to fool around with replacing those every 12k to 15k miles and they stay in timed, but it's easy to convert back to mech points, in fact I carry a brand new set of mech points in the trunk just in case the electronic one should ever fry.

Don't you speak funny?

Barely understood a word of that, but mint bone stock sounds delicious!

700c replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I'm going back to a shopping car. Having a faster car wasn't quite the fun I imagined it to be.

£305 tax

25mph regardsless of driving style

stuck in 45 mph traffic unless I start driving like an utter c'nt

only really getting the benefits of a faster car at 80mph+

roads are now so bad my fillings will fall out with harder suspension

no point taking it on a track day as it's not 'disposable' so I won't be using it properly

should have bought another motorbike but can't trust myself to behave on them

could have bought a decent ultegra spec'd bike with money I've wasted.

Oh well, live and learn. At least it's got really nice seats I suppose.

Oh yeah, and I can't put a normal bike rack on it either.

Ha! probably a salutory lesson and one I could take heed of right now:  I'm considering a smaller, quicker petrol car for me since the OH has now got a larger diesel one for family duties. I'm conflicted through because although diesel is the fuel of satan (in cities), anything decent with a petrol engine has terrible economy and is taxed extortionately. Successive governments and the EU have prioritised  Co2 over NOx. 

Electric is still too expensive with limited infrastructure to support.

If I worked near where I lived then I would commute by bike as I used to, with a tiny car when absolutely necessary. But I live in the country so I don't think that's going to work.

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
3 likes

//static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Its_9f3b7f_726265.jpg)

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
4 likes

Thank you to all responding to the "Anyone that actually likes cars on here?" thread.

All those who replied in the affirmative will shortly have their road.cc accounts terminated.

HarryTrauts | 6 years ago
2 likes

Through my youth to my mid-40s, I always owned at least one Mini (the real ones built by Brummies, not the BMW monstrosity).  My favourite was a van but it was also a pig to drive, with poor breaks and so many mechanical problems.  It taught me so much about the internal combustion engine, but it's not possible to work on modern cars in the same way without access to a very well equipped workshop.

Like so many on here, children came along and priorities change.  My last Mini spent 8 years in my garage and was eventually sold with a heavy heart.  I now drive very ordinary family cars which are simply a means to an end.  

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
2 likes

Love cars. But not some of the idiots that drive them.

I've got a heavily modified 1993 Nissan 200SX with over 300bhp per ton. Barely gets used these days, but it will be impossible to adequately replace.

Also got a little Seat Ibiza TDi that's been remapped, makes it fun AND cheap, only really gets used when the bike isn't practical.

Was looking at old Audi TTs recently, think they've hit rock bottom prices recently, bound to become a modern classic and start appreciating soon.

RMurphy195 | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a skoda rapid - useful for ferrying around elderly relatives and grandchildren and towing the caravan on holiday - it carries the bikes as well!

Plus a 10-year old MX5 for sunny days and for when the other half is doing her stuff - I can carry a Brompton in its boot, or a tourer on a rack on the back. (We're both retired and I like my independence from time to time - as does she!)

Neither are used just to go to the local shops unless there's weight to carry - feet, bike, bus or train do that job quite well thankyou.

We did visit friends who had retired to the Cotswolds - great bus service, runs 3 times/week! Car is necessary for them, unhappily.

SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
2 likes

We have a 20 year old VW camper.

Last year I did more miles on the road bike alone, we use it for going: surfing, wales, waitrose  and races.

I did have a Ducati 748 and a V6 Vauxhall at one point, the Ducati taught me life is but fleeting and the Vauxhall taught me everyone in a BMW, Audi, Chavvy Ford is a dick.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
2 likes

do i love cars, hmmm, not particularly, there are some absolutely gorgeous marques from various eras, would i want to own one, no. Thought about a TVR Cerbera or a Griff for titting about on track days recently and was sorely tempted at an RS2 some years back (At £8k I should have jumped on it but was busy parenting and holding down a FT job), but in all honesty I'd far rather just drive something than own it

power/handling/mods etc is fine, i'd rather drive a bog std motor to the ragged edge though and get a kick being more skilled/getting more out the motor than winning outright.

give me an old 4WD hatch and a bit of rally cross and i'd be like a pig in shit.

these days 99.9% of motors are samey/dog ugly/fat bloaters/too gadgety

Pages

Latest Comments