Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Drafting complete strangers

Out for a solo ride yesterday, minding my own business, when I look behind to see a complete stranger sat on my back wheel.

When asked what he was doing, I get the reply "Getting a tow - I've been chasing you for ages"

When asked to stop and either pass me or back off, he got really shirty and then disappeared.

Happens nearly every time I go out and pisses me off no end - I'm out for my enjoyment, not theirs and, having had a complete stranger crash into the back of me before, it makes me pretty nervous.

Chase me down as a challenge, by all means - I do the same to other riders - but he doesn't know me and has no idea where I'm going, so why would you then sit 3" from someone elses wheel - especially without at least the courtesy of announcing your presence and asking if I mind?

Seriously considering getting a "no drafting" sign for the back of my saddle!

</Rant>

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

Cyclax Maximus | 6 years ago
1 like

I can understand people getting arsey about this, but therein nestles the hypocrisy too. I found myself with a zonal marker the other day, and my first thought was "you f*****g grabber of other peoples energy". I soon realised it was an overreaction, and questioned the fact about why this annoyed me so much.

Probably because I was completely oblivious to them being there for about 20 minutes (my estimation), and not a peep of acknowledgement out of them. Still, there's no law against it I suppose.

I'll be the first to say I'll look for a tow as and when the spirits are flagging, but I never outstay my welcome, so I guess you have to allow for the swings and roundabouts.

Next time it happens oh dear readers, I will embrace it. Look at it as a compliment, and try to imagine they're lonely people who just want to get a closer look at my arse...!

davel | 6 years ago
1 like

That's very philosophical and where I'm aiming for...

I suppose the thing that gets me is, if there's no shout out, it's socially weird... A decision has been made to wheelsuck and be quiet about it. That's weirdo behaviour.

No problem with the unknown handling skills: I've been out on plenty of club runs with people I'm not intimately familiar with, and my own skills are hardly Saganesque. You're already on the road in the hope that some numpty in a car won't drive into you.

No problem with the actual freeloading bit and I readily offer my wheel. It's the secrecy of people who sneak up, and lack of acknowledgement or even a shout to let me know they're there, that I don't get. Makes it seem a bit parasitic. Get off my wheel and go and be weird in the pissy corner of the bus station with the others.

Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Get over yourselves,

Sometimes I might catch you at my natural pace then your pace alters and I end up behind you, I may not have/ be prepared to expend to more energy to get by, but if you want to slow a bit I will pass, Im not drafting, Im just behind you.

On the other hand, as long as youre not going to rub wheels or prevent me moving in and out, feel free to sit behind me.

Going to work today you may have thought I and a stranger were taking turns, we werent, I was faster on the flat and he was faster on the slopes due to weight and gearing, so we just naturally overtook one another after an initial acknowledgement.

......unless youve a BC race ticket and youre in a race.....

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
10 likes

there's no such thing as a complete stranger on a bike, just a domestique you haven't met yet!

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
5 likes

In my experience, any cyclist going slower than you is to be derided for lack of fitness/lycra/carbon fibre and any cyclist going quicker is either a professional racer or just trying too hard and taking it all far too seriously. Those cyclists going the same speed are just annoying.

Simontuck | 6 years ago
1 like

I've always been a big fan of drafting people who skip lights or deliberately block me in at an ASL. It's not like they can keep up, but if they are going to constantly catch up by 'cheating' then I may as well save some energy so I can then leave them behind at a suitable moment.

One such bloke skipped to the front of a line of traffic and positioned his bike right in front of mine so I couldn't go until he had. I could hear his brakes rubbing on his wheel but he was actually going at a half decent pace, so I tagged on until he slowed down halfway up a hill then as I passed him I did let him know he should get his brakes adjusted.

rjfrussell replied to beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
3 likes

beezus fufoon wrote:

there's no such thing as a complete stranger on a bike, just a domestique you haven't met yet!

Best answer!

For my part, I think just saying "hi" as soon as you notice someone on your tail (or when you are on theirs) is a happier way forward than all this passive aggressive (or just aggessive aggressive) nonsense.

Rapha Nadal replied to Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Flying Scot wrote:

Get over yourselves,

......unless youve a BC race ticket and youre in a race.....

Yup.

ktache | 6 years ago
2 likes

Do you like fish sticks?

davel | 6 years ago
14 likes

Doesn't really work in English, to be fair.

ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
4 likes

I hate it -feels like free loading Or

Feels like a stranger drinking out of your pint. 

had a tool on a fixie in full aero helmet and wrap around visor draft me on my hybrid on my commute to work in Toulouse. Slowed right down, he stuck to me. Sped up, stuck to me. I lost my rag so jammed on the brakes and he clattered my back end and ended up on the floor. Shouted at him in French 'thats the reason you don't draft strangers' 

I'd like to have used my matés line

"Do you like fish?"

"yeah why"

"There's a place/plaice up here for ya"

doesn't work in french tho

Carton replied to ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
3 likes

ChancerOnABike wrote:

I know this isn't, by far, the most unsound thing about your post. But, do you often share a pint with friends? Like out of the same glass, taking turns?

PaulBox replied to ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
7 likes

ChancerOnABike wrote:

I lost my rag so jammed on the brakes and he clattered my back end and ended up on the floor. Shouted at him in French 'thats the reason you don't draft strangers

Because they might be a complete c*nt?

ChancerOnABike replied to PaulBox | 6 years ago
0 likes

PaulBox wrote:

ChancerOnABike wrote:

I lost my rag so jammed on the brakes and he clattered my back end and ended up on the floor. Shouted at him in French 'thats the reason you don't draft strangers

Because they might be a complete c*nt?

I gave him the opportunity to leave me be but he was too fecking lazy in his aero gear to ride like he was dressed. 

Yes it was aggressive and i normally i jjst ask them yo clear off but this one took the biscuit so i decided to highlight the weakness of his plan. Don't sit on someone's wheel unannounced unless you can get yourself out of trouble should something go wrong. 

Leviathan replied to ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChancerOnABike wrote:

I hate it -feels like free loading Or

I drink your milkshake!!!

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
5 likes

I was out for a ride last year and heard this sound, and there's a whole cycle club, about 8 of them, strung out behind me. So I got in the drops and put down the hammer and we had a great run of a couple of miles before they started overtaking me (I'm 60!). So I started chatting as they went past and dropped on the back of their group. I had a great chat with a bunch of friendly young blokes and got a 28km/h pull up one of my problem hills. Did wonders for my strava segment!

Sadly they were turning off after a few miles heading somewhere so we waved goodbye and wished each other a good ride.

Treat it as a social event, it can be fun. Most people are eventually going some other way so you're not stuck to them for ever.

kev-s | 6 years ago
3 likes

Not a fan of unannounced drafters

Ive punched one in the face! (accidently) i had a bit of a stretch of my right arm due to my stage 3 ac seperation making my muscle ache and didnt know he was there, just caught him on the nose

Luckily he didnt crash, he wasnt happy but i said its his own fault for following too closely without warning me he was there

Also have seen someone being drafted and a rabbit run out in front of him, he hit the brakes, the guy behind ploughed into him sending the first guy onto the floor in a heap with the drafter on top of him causing damage to their bikes and kit, the guy in front was understandably not a happy bunny!!!!

Leviathan replied to kev-s | 6 years ago
1 like

kev-s wrote:

Also have seen someone being drafted and a rabbit run out in front of him, he hit the brakes, the guy behind ploughed into him sending the first guy onto the floor in a heap with the drafter on top of him causing damage to their bikes and kit, the guy in front was understandably not a happy bunny!!!!

One of my favourite segments is called 'Bridge to Bunny Corner' it ends at a blind bend, I've seen a few ex-rabbits there, but probably not from cyclists.

If it's not to late for my 2p:

I have drafted and been drafted for a minute or two, but generally it's fine. But there are a few jerks who just don't know or care when they overstay their welcome. Two occasions come to mind; last year on Ride London I had someone draft me for 12km from the start all the way through London to the Westway, I went wide on a bend only for him to slot back in behind me after giving him a chance to move ahead, I waved him through a couple of times only to be ignored. I finally slow pedalled and forced him past. When I asked what he was doing he said I was going the right speed. I told him he was being rude, in so many words. It was just creepy, how long would he have stayed there? I don't mind mixing it, but rotate a bit in a group, I don't know you fella.

Second case, I was just commuting, I over took a guy going slower, he then took this as some challenge and speed up and started drafting me *really* close, I sped up a bit and he stayed there, as we approached a light, it flick to amber and I was force to run through it just as it turned to red with him right behind me. What do you do, brake test the guy at the red and have him crash into me? Luckily it was a gentle left. I also had words with him, telling him he was dangerous. His response was it is a free road and he can do what he wants, that I am not the police. He suggested we settle it with a punch up and criticized my choice of team clothing and suggested that the amount of hair on my legs was an indicator that it would be okay for him to do this. He was wearing a gold mountain bike bucket helmet at the time.

Sorry for the biased paraphrasing.

As usual it is about degrees, these are some extreme cases. One thing is certain, if you have to have a word with them to stop doing what they are doing, they will be defensive and angry for being called out; it isn't a great way of getting them to see your perspective.

kev-s replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
3 likes

Leviathan wrote:

One of my favourite segments is called 'Bridge to Bunny Corner' it ends at a blind bend, I've seen a few ex-rabbits there, but probably not from cyclists.

I get rabbits and rats running out in front of me everyday when i cycle through a nature reserve that has a cycle path

Have killed 2 rats so far and have taken to barking at the bunnies to scare them off in the style of Brian from Family guy, i do get some funny looks from other cyclist lol

IanEdward | 6 years ago
1 like

I can sympathise with the 'fast enough to catch, not fast enough to pass' conundrum.

I get it on my commute sometimes, will work hard chasing someone but don't quite have it in me to pass them*, but don't want to do that annoying thing where you sit off their back wheel slightly and a metre off to the side, sort of showing that you aren't drafting, just sitting immediately behind them at the same pace smiley

*also I'm on a bright pink singlespeed, I fear passing serious looking riders in case it's like a red rag to a bull!

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

It has never happened to me at all.
I'm pretty sure my speed and size offers zero positive drafting experience for anyone.
I've had a few lads offer me to jump on the back as they have passed when they probably assumed I was in need...but generally I decline as I wouldn't want to hold them up.
I guess I'd be pissed off if someone stealthily tried to get a tow.

FatBoyW | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ok what's Strava? 

My Garmin died, so no sharing of my slow bumbling for now

atgni replied to FatBoyW | 6 years ago
1 like
FatBoyW wrote:

Ok what's Strava? 

My Garmin died, so no sharing of my slow bumbling for now

An App for your phone.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
3 likes

If I'm in London, I have a crutch strapped to my backpack. Have had a few guys draft me then ask about the crutch afterwards...

The other day, was on the way to a club ride and realised someone was on my tail. Turned out to be a clubmate. Which was ok apart from two reasons: the only time he went on the front he slowed me down, and he's a shit bike handler and I'm not sure if he's more dangerous behind me or in front.

shay cycles | 6 years ago
6 likes

What a lot of nonsense.

If anyone sees me out and I'm moving quick enough for you to draught behind me then please feel free.

If you want to cruise by, feel free.

If you want to say hi and share pacemaking, feel free.

Come on people life isn't a race so just get on doing what you were doing and stop worrying about what anyone else is doing.

I blame Strava  3

PaulBox replied to shay cycles | 6 years ago
4 likes

shay cycles wrote:

What a lot of nonsense.

If anyone sees me out and I'm moving quick enough for you to draught behind me then please feel free.

If you want to cruise by, feel free.

If you want to say hi and share pacemaking, feel free.

Come on people life isn't a race so just get on doing what you were doing and stop worrying about what anyone else is doing.

I blame Strava  3

This!

Some of you guys need to chill the fcuk out...

I was doing the tour of Cambridgeshire event last year. It's very flat but with some sh!tty headwinds with no hedges for shelter in large sections. Most sensible people therefore just go from one group to another getting as much help as they can. I jumped over to a couple of guys who were going slightly quicker than the group I was in. Sat there for a couple of minutes and was going to do my share when one of them told the other "don't let other people sit on your wheel, we're not here to help others!". So I just put the hammer down for a couple more minutes and left them behind, obviously telling him that he was a prick as I left.

FatBoyW | 6 years ago
3 likes

Blooming heck get a life people! 

It's normal and shows respect for your superior ability to have a rider sit behind. 

The rare occasions I've gone fast enough for someone to want a draft I've had a good chat with them. One chap many years ago became a great clubmate - he's gone to the dark side now and goes running yeuk!!!  You know who you are MM!!!!

(curiously in our club we had three people with  MM initials is it common?)

Awavey | 6 years ago
2 likes

I just dont like being made to feel that Im being followed, if someone was to ask/chat maybe ok, but when you are out on your own, and suddenly theres some random guy tucked in on your rear wheel, erm sorry just not comfortable with people following me like that.

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
1 like

Yeah, bit rude/weird to tailgate someone and not even say hello. Especially if you don't know their skill level, could easily rear end you with a disk brake?

It's never happened to me but I think I've only ever been overtaken once (I was work clothes with big rucksack etc), I added him after checking the flyby on Strava and it turns out he's rather good.
If I'm not sure the person I've caught is slower than me I'll sit a few metres (maybe 5?) back to assess the situation for a few seconds... no point going for an overtake if it's marginal and you can't make it stick, they just end up on your wheel, or worse, you blow up and then they end up in front again anyway.

This has served me well, I've never overtaken someone who could keep up, pretty sure I've never not overtaken someone either though... I only really do short rides.

I was coming home from the pub one night and ended up following a guy up the hill past Reading Hospital, realised halfway up that he was out of the saddle because it was a singlespeed, chatted a bit and then pushed on up the next hill, he really appreciated the tow but I rather regretted the extra effort while wearing my cheap waterproof jacket, my lungs don't seem to work after beer.

All that said, I'll happily sit behind a bus or van all the way up a hill  1

simonmb replied to ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
2 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

All that said, I'll happily sit behind a bus or van all the way up a hill  1

there speaks a true cyclist. It's all about conserving energy.

Pages

Latest Comments