Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

1000KM up!

Today (Sunday 3/9) I did the Manchester 100K and improved my time since 2015 even though it drizzled. This is the end of the summer season for me with no more events to do. Since 2012 I have been keeping a log of my mileage literally everyday, including days off, pootles to the shops, commutes and anything else. I have a rolling 30day total and today it peaked out at 1051.0 km. This is the first time I have ever gone over 1000km in a month.

Now I plan to get to 9000km by the end of the year and have 3000km to go. I need to average over 25km a day for the rest of the year. Next year I plan to do 10KK; which is about as far as I ever need to go. More long rides in January needed to get a head start.

I know some of you go much further and hink nothing of doing a double century at the weekend. Sorry for blowing my own trumpet [insert Steve Bannon joke.] Post some of your milestones this year...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

We were quite late out, around 8.30 which meant the broom wagon was chasing us and some really suffering we passed on the road.

My leadout man for certain sections still managed to average over 27km/h despite spending half his day looking backwards to see where I was - I floated between two groups and managed about 24km/h, not quite as bad as anticipated!

Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wow, waves of positivity.  Alan I didn't see any Stoke  shirts; you probably started the 100M event before and finish after the 100K, sounds like it was more of a gastronomic tour of Cheshire. I managed 28.56kph for 100k on open roads, I've only gone further or faster on closed roads; I can only sustain 30kph up to about 80kms, something to work on. Ironically looking at that Strava there are many people who could do the 100K faster but choose the 100M instead

I've never gone over 100miles and have never quite seen the point, however I might be better suited to a 24 event than mountain climbing. I do much better in closed road events with a bit of drafting and no lights. It is easier to maintain momentum when you are a big unit. Sadly very few people to hide behind on Sunday.

TheLonelyOne; similar speed only about 7 times further! you are still ahead for the year.

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Leviathan wrote:

TheLonelyOne; similar speed only about 7 times further! you are still ahead for the year.

That's what the maths says, but I'm toasted. Still not fully recovered more than a week later! Hopefully get the bug again soon.

wycombewheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

Completed my first 1000km audax last month (time limit 75 hours) currently on target for 12000km for 2017.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Well done Levi, I also grimmed it out in the Manchester sunshine (4 hours of drizel) to do the 100 miles 52 days after breaking the leg and clavicle.

I've rarely been so apprehensive swinging the leg over and we pootled to the first stop (brief) and then put the hammer down through Delamere forest and between the 2 castles (Peckforton and Beeston). Was rather pleased with myself at 50 miles but hit a bit of a wall on a gentle slope at 70 and low blood sugars nearly finished me at 80. A friends chicken and stuffing bap, a few cereal bars and a gel really helped bring me back and the last 20 seems a gentle downhill most of the way to bring you home.

Chapeau to you and anyone else supporting this fantastic charity!

sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

Strava makes keeping on top of your mileage really simple  1

I set myself a revised goal of 6000km this year after losing January/February to a crash/broken wrists.  Currently 200km ahead of "pace"  1

Grahamd replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Strava makes keeping on top of your mileage really simple  1

NHS waiting times means zero km for 2017, seriously depressing.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 6 years ago
3 likes

I did Le Mans 24H Velo as a solo again this year, and managed 423 miles / 682km - a big step up from 514km two years ago.

That's as much as I'm ever going to do - perfect surface, perfect weather, closed roads, faster folk to slipstream and food+drink on tap. I really really enjoyed it!

Even with all the training for the event, and the event itself, I'm still less than 7000km on the year, so bravo+kudos+good luck for aiming for 9000k!

//scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21167055_1445250385565711_7501429366498090392_o.jpg?oh=8dda7b7be3fb80a2049eb0d0d20c1982&oe=5A213059)

Alessandro | 6 years ago
2 likes

I managed my first ever 200km ride on Saturday from Edinburgh down to Coldstream and then back up through Gifford. I found the last hour or so bloody tough going, especially because I was flying solo but I managed to hold an average of over 30km/h, climbed more than 2000m and made it home without crumpling in a heap somewhere in East Lothian. 

Photo below of the top of the hill before descending into Pease Bay. The climb out of there was absolutely awful. 

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations that's some serious mileage

Annual milestone for me used to be getting the first 20mph average for a ride but I've since realised this isn't a very helpful metric (plus it took till ages to achieve it this year! )

So now looking at elevation. Just joined a strava challenge for 8k metres this month to keep the focus.

Good luck!

Latest Comments