Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What do people make of this BBC News video?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-41839086/mother...

So the child is clearly at fault for riding on the wrong side of the road. The wheelie doesn't help. But does that make it ok for the driver to plough into them when they could easily have slowed or stopped?

The highway code says in the introduction to rules 103-158 "Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident."

It seems to me that the driver was either (i) keen to teach the child a lesson by scaring them with a 1.2 tonne metal object, but was too incompetent  to actually stop in time, or (ii) keen to teach the child a lesson by hitting them with a 1.2 tonne metal object.

Which of the two people is more irresponsible and puerile? Which could reasonably be expected to display such behaviour at their age?

I am glad to note that only bruising was suffered. Maybe we should all wear hoodies? yes

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

Reddleman | 6 years ago
1 like

What larks... harmless behavior by kids with no harmful consequences.... except it could have been different. Some of the commentators above don’t seem to know or acknowledge just how intimidating this sort of behavior can be. 

Around here we often get similar groups ( only a little older) acting in just the same way but riding unlicensed scooters and dirt bikes, no helmets, scarves around faces. ... 

davel replied to Reddleman | 6 years ago
2 likes
Reddleman wrote:

What larks... harmless behavior by kids with no harmful consequences.... except it could have been different. Some of the commentators above don’t seem to know or acknowledge just how intimidating this sort of behavior can be. 

Around here we often get similar groups ( only a little older) acting in just the same way but riding unlicensed scooters and dirt bikes, no helmets, scarves around faces. ... 

I'm sure it's unpleasant.

I still think I'd choose being hit by an obnoxious teenager on a bike over being hit by a car driven by a well-meaning but incompetent adult.

And really, it's that that's pissing people off, isn't it. 'Urgh, there's a bunch of lads doing something I can't identify with... Bit of bravado, uh-oh, they're being dicks... It'll lead to riots, looting and hell-in-a-handcart before we know it.'

Proportion, people. One of the protagonists in the video symbolises behaviour which ultimately kills 105 people per day. A grip needs to be got.

peted76 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Driver should have stopped and didn't, probably a bit hassled by the gang of yoof taking over the whole road, still, yet another example of bad judement whilst driving a 1.5ton weapon. Prime example of why driving should be a privilege not a right.

Yoofs being intimidating riding down road - one played chicken and lost - his mother calls it right. Yoof has a few bruises and learned not to play chicken with cars. Glad to see common sense prevailed and no charges.

Can only hope yoof was actually scared by this and does not think that even if you do get hit by a car you only get a couple of bruises.

Silver Rider | 6 years ago
1 like

Gangs of kids pulling wheelies on bikes like this isn't always  innocent youthful expression, they will often do it to intimidate or scare other road users, especially cyclists and pedestrians.  I've encountered it several times in London, including when I've had a baby in the seat on the back.  The sort of behaviour does need challenging (although ideally not with a tonne of metal) because it'll be the same kids in a couple of years time throwing shit at you out of the passenger window of their mate's Corsa.

davel replied to Silver Rider | 6 years ago
1 like
Silver Rider wrote:

Gangs of kids pulling wheelies on bikes like this isn't always  innocent youthful expression, they will often do it to intimidate or scare other road users, especially cyclists and pedestrians.  I've encountered it several times in London, including when I've had a baby in the seat on the back.  The sort of behaviour does need challenging (although ideally not with a tonne of metal) because it'll be the same kids in a couple of years time throwing shit at you out of the passenger window of their mate's Corsa.

People disguising bias as objective comment need challenging because it'll be the same commenters in a couple of years time typing unrestricted bullshit on the Daily Wail.

Silver Rider replied to davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

People disguising bias as objective comment need challenging because it'll be the same commenters in a couple of years time typing unrestricted bullshit on the Daily Wail.

So you're OK with people putting other people at risk of harm just to get a reaction/rise out of them and impress your mates? It's not nice being on the other end of it. I'd say it's much more in line with  Daily Mail mentality to put your own gratification ahead of other people's wellbeing.

3 likes
Silver Rider wrote:

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

So you're OK with people putting other people at risk of harm just to get a reaction/rise out of them and impress your mates? It's not nice being on the other end of it. I'd say it's much more in line with  Daily Mail mentality to put your own gratification ahead of other people's wellbeing.

No, I'm not OK with that, and I'm not saying kids on bikes aren't capable of being dicks, or of threatening behaviour. I'm not saying you haven't been intimidated by kids on bikes.

But how many kids pulling wheelies on streets throughout the UK this weekend will have just been kids pulling wheelies on streets, vs those doing it as something sinister?

How often will it prove to be a gateway to more antisocial behaviour, like you suggest, vs something virtuous, like one of them winning an Olympic medal, or a TdF stage, or not sniffing an aerosol for the first time with their mates because they're out on their bikes?

You haven't got a clue. Nobody has. So just doing the usual middle-aged stuffed fart of a response of seeing kids doing something 'in a gang' and being vaguely threatened by it and assuming the worst, like stuffed farts have been for generations, should be called out as the stuffed fart bias that it is.

I see two examples of intimidating behaviour in the video: one by a supposedly responsible and licensed adult wielding something that kills many people, and one by a 14 year-old doing something that'll get himself hurt. Their behaviour isn't even on the same chart.

Silver Rider replied to davel | 6 years ago
3 likes

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

No, I'm not OK with that, and I'm not saying kids on bikes aren't capable of being dicks, or of threatening behaviour. I'm not saying you haven't been intimidated by kids on bikes. But how many kids pulling wheelies on streets throughout the UK this weekend will have just been kids pulling wheelies on streets, vs those doing it as something sinister? How often will it prove to be a gateway to more antisocial behaviour, like you suggest, vs something virtuous, like one of them winning an Olympic medal, or a TdF stage, or not sniffing an aerosol for the first time with their mates because they're out on their bikes? You haven't got a clue. Nobody has. So just doing the usual middle-aged stuffed fart of a response of seeing kids doing something 'in a gang' and being vaguely threatened by it and assuming the worst, like stuffed farts have been for generations, should be called out as the stuffed fart bias that it is. I see two examples of intimidating behaviour in the video: one by a supposedly responsible and licensed adult wielding something that kills many people, and one by a 14 year-old doing something that'll get himself hurt. Their behaviour isn't even on the same chart.

Hanging out on bikes or pulling wheelies aren't what I'm objecting too (and admittedly haven't worded that clearly) but the 'chicken' thing which at the moment tends to feature pulling wheelies and riding at people to scare/intimidate them then swerve away at the last moment is what I experience and object to - round here it's pedestrians and other cyclists largely on the receiving end. Doesn't matter if you have the skills to pull it off (unlike the guy in this clip) - putting fear into others for kicks isn't acceptable.  Even causing cars to have to swerve isn't on. There are connections between this kind of behaviour and the 'ride out' type events featuring motorbikes and mopeds such as the one in Leeds last year, bikes screaming along pavements scaring the shit out of people. It's not Reclaim the Streets, it's kind of the opposite to that. Down with this kind of thing  3

2 likes
Silver Rider wrote:

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

davel wrote:
Silver Rider wrote:

No, I'm not OK with that, and I'm not saying kids on bikes aren't capable of being dicks, or of threatening behaviour. I'm not saying you haven't been intimidated by kids on bikes. But how many kids pulling wheelies on streets throughout the UK this weekend will have just been kids pulling wheelies on streets, vs those doing it as something sinister? How often will it prove to be a gateway to more antisocial behaviour, like you suggest, vs something virtuous, like one of them winning an Olympic medal, or a TdF stage, or not sniffing an aerosol for the first time with their mates because they're out on their bikes? You haven't got a clue. Nobody has. So just doing the usual middle-aged stuffed fart of a response of seeing kids doing something 'in a gang' and being vaguely threatened by it and assuming the worst, like stuffed farts have been for generations, should be called out as the stuffed fart bias that it is. I see two examples of intimidating behaviour in the video: one by a supposedly responsible and licensed adult wielding something that kills many people, and one by a 14 year-old doing something that'll get himself hurt. Their behaviour isn't even on the same chart.

Hanging out on bikes or pulling wheelies aren't what I'm objecting too (and admittedly haven't worded that clearly) but the 'chicken' thing which at the moment tends to feature pulling wheelies and riding at people to scare/intimidate them then swerve away at the last moment is what I experience and object to - round here it's pedestrians and other cyclists largely on the receiving end. Doesn't matter if you have the skills to pull it off (unlike the guy in this clip) - putting fear into others for kicks isn't acceptable.  Even causing cars to have to swerve isn't on. There are connections between this kind of behaviour and the 'ride out' type events featuring motorbikes and mopeds such as the one in Leeds last year, bikes screaming along pavements scaring the shit out of people. It's not Reclaim the Streets, it's kind of the opposite to that. Down with this kind of thing  3

Can't really disagree with that.

We do fundamentally disagree though.

I basically think teenage lads getting hooked on bikes is A Good Thing, even if splinters use them for doing the types of daft shit that teenage lads are wont to do. If you're up for more kids on bikes, it follows that the dickhead element will still be dickheads, and they'll find a way of doing it on bikes.

I basically think that cars being used excessively (most journeys are tiny and easily accomplished by other means) is A Bad Thing, that making unnecessary journeys on residential streets is antisocial in itself, and that the negative impacts of that behaviour is 5 people dead daily through collision, and another 100 dead daily (40,000 annually) through pollution, in the UK alone.

So I'm not condoning either idiot's behaviour here - but I'm saying that one type of behaviour has really nasty consequences that society shrugs its shoulders about, and the other has barely any consequences and yet society loses its shit about it.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Ooooh, could I use a Global Hypercolor t-shirt instead of a Power Meter - I'll credit you on my kickstarter campaign!

Bikebikebike | 6 years ago
1 like

The driver decided to treat the group of kids as a chicane. If she had just braked when she saw them then all would have been fine. Obviously doing a wheelie on the wrong side of the road is daft, but the driver’s actions were wrong. 

No court in the land would convict her of anything, if she had killed the kid, but the bar for conviction is extremely high. Would she have failed her driving test for that bit of driving? Most definitely an immediate fail. 

HarryTrauts | 6 years ago
1 like

Top marks to his mum for calling him stupid publically.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Its hard to judge from this video due to the pauses and commentary to get a feel for how quickly it happened, but as far as I can tell, beyond actually reversing, there was little more the driver could do to slow down more as she was stationary at the point of impact.

At 20mph, it takes just over 2 seconds to react and stop, assuming a 0.7 sec reaction time.

Her attention was drawn to the first rider she'd avoided, by the time she'd seen the second she had little time to do anything else.

But clearly some here have the reactions and skills of a fighter jet pilot and would have avoided him.

davel replied to PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes
PRSboy wrote:

But clearly some here have the reactions and skills of a fighter jet pilot and would have avoided him.

Or, some people are making the pretty safe assumption that the street, kids and car didn't just spring into existence with the start of the video, that wheeliekid was already to the right of the camera (the wrong side of the road), and the driver should have been stopping as soon as she saw the kids.

Of course I'm arguing ideologically too, though. I'd quite like to live somewhere that kids wheelieing doesn't create moral panic, and where kids on bikes, not impatient arses in cars, have the run of residential streets.

Cannon | 6 years ago
0 likes

I thought exactly the same when I saw this video.  Goes without saying that the wheelie on the worng side of the road was foolish (albeit skillful, these guys have them down), but i can't fathom how the driver still managed to hit him (with such a clear view) and at a reasonable speed.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think the kids are confused; somebody told them about new self driving cars with collision avoidance systems so they thought they would be safe.

Jimmy Ray Will | 6 years ago
2 likes

Again... no one is condoning the kid, no one is blaming the car driver. What is being pointed out is the mentality behind the car drivers actions. 

They were in the legal right, they had right of way... they were taking that right of way until the very last possible moment. 

One day, despite my efforts to avoid it, that could be my kid on the road. I don't want to accept that might is right, that right is right, I want drivers to want to be responsible adults, to take control for the safety of others... the way my vulnerability has forced me to do when cycling. 

To provide another example. If, instead of a handful of boys on bikes, it had been a bunch of cows, would she have continued as she did? I'd wager the answer is no. 

Hopefully the kid has learnt a lesson... it would be nice if everyone could take something away from this episode. 

srchar | 6 years ago
3 likes

Dickhead on bicycle encounters shit driver.

Next!

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
3 likes

kids playing in the street, taking back the streets to be played in, car shouldn't be there and her (lack of) reactions would injure or kill a pedestrian who might trip into the road or an infirm/disabled person crossing slowly.

Bluebug | 6 years ago
2 likes

More likely the driver was too f***ing dumb to realise she should have just done an emergency stop as soon as she saw him.

I've worked in different parts of England and noticed that while in London drivers generally will hit the brakes if they don't know what a child, horse, dog or adult pedestrian is going to do in the road in other parts of the country they don't. I have seen other motorists behind them get p*ssed off if they see it is a horse and try to overtake but that's an entire other conversation.

davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

Except if you actually watch the video and where the car is on the road, you can see the car is moving right up to impact.

The kid's being a dick, alright, but that makes it OK to drive into him? Drivers on residential streets shouldn't look out for kids being kids? For what - to teach them a fucking lesson?

As has earlier been said, you can bet it would have stopped a long time before if the kid had been an HGV.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Agree with you Leviathan. Car appeared to be stopped and he effectively tripped over the side of her bonnet. Kid being a bellend learned a lesson.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

There are a lot of assumptions in this thread from very little footage. She looks to have just stopped and the kid crashes into her. Mum has it right, big kids should be more careful, 14 - 84.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
6 likes

back in my day we used to punch the back wheel up and ride over the car, wheelieing to drop off the back, trials style

kids these days got no skillz

wycombewheeler | 6 years ago
1 like

When the driver starts moving to their right the youth as at the far left of the road. True to go round but both bike and car swerve the wrong way. At point of impact car is probably going slower than bike.

MonkeyPuzzle | 6 years ago
3 likes

I suspect the driver, having just taken evasive to just avoid the previous nobhead on the wrong side road, was both surprised and disappointed to see another nobhead on the wrong side of the road who, in classic chicken-stylee, swerved the same direction as the driver just at the wrong time. Could a super switched on driver have avoided it in hindsight? Possibly, but that doesn't mean this one was incompetent not to. Kid got some bruises and a free life lesson: don't be a nobhead.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

I guess the squabbling and insults that define the hoody wearing chav have already been done in this thread

http://road.cc/content/news/231558-cyclist-doing-wheelie-knocked-fellow-...

Along with the responsible/victim labeling.

Funny old world.

Yorkshire wallet replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes
don simon wrote:

I guess the squabbling and insults that define the hoody wearing chav have already been done in this thread

Funny old world.

People can be victims of their own actions.

davel replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
5 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:
don simon wrote:

Funny old world.

People can be victims of their own actions.

Course they can. What is clear is the kid was doing a dickish, potentially dangerous thing. Wheelie at a car and there's only one winner.

They can also be kids twatting about, making mistakes. Were you ever a kid twatting about, making mistakes? I know I did plenty worse than pull wheelies on the wrong side of the road, and I'm glad there were adults who didn't always think I should be summarily taught a lesson via a piece of rolling heavy machinery. Where is this street - Kandahar?

The backlash to kids basically pulling wheelies on streets primarily to be lived on, like it's some sort of teenage territorial pissing, or gateway to something much worse, is pretty worrying. Society shouldn't be questioning those kids farting about, it should be asking those in a car just what is it that is so important that they have to drive with no consideration for other residents being on the streets. As it is, the wheelieing is probably the most innocuous teenage exhibition of self-expression I can remember. In my day it was illegal raves, Es and speed, which the conservative media also lost its shit about... But kids pulling wheelies. Really...?

It looks to me like the licensed operator of the heavy machinery could have stopped much sooner. Why the fuck didn't they?

alansmurphy replied to davel | 6 years ago
1 like

davel wrote:

In my day it was illegal raves, Es and speed, which the conservative media also lost its shit about... But kids pulling wheelies. Really...?

Davel I don't condone your performance enhancing drugs and worry that your suggestion may lead to compulsary glo sticks and whistles for cyclists!

Pages

Latest Comments