Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

List of everything you need to build your first bike

After building my first bike I thought it might be helpful to others to see the list of everything I needed. Please add anything you think I have missed.

Parts

• Frameset (Frame, Seat post, folks, headset)
  • Groupset (Front/rear mech, front/rear brakes, shifters, cassette, crankset, chain)
  • Wheels
  • Tyres
  • Handlebar
  • Stem
  • Bottom bracket
  • Saddle
  • Water bottles
  • Pedals
  • Bartape (Gel pads)
  • Gear cable set
  • Brake cable set
  • Bottle cages
  • Chain master link
  • Inline barrel adjusters
  • Spacers
  • Garmin mount

Tools and Other

• Workstand
  • Cable cutters
  • Pedal spanner
  • Tyre sealent
  • Post cutting tool
  • Grease
  • Carbon paste
  • Bottom bracket install tool (LBS best option!)
  • Thread locker paste
  • Headset race install tool (LBS)
  • Hacksaw (32 teeth per inch)
  • Sandpaper (600 grade)
  • File and pick (for cable ends)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

David9694 | 4 years ago
3 likes

Hurrah for build it yourself.  I enjoy it - at last, something practical that I’m good at! I like a bit of on-line comparison shopping and I’m also a sucker for parcels arriving.

I wonder about the economics of all this vs say a new buy or buying a B’Twin and stripping down and replacing and undesirable / short cut bits.  I suspect that if you’re DIYing you’re not going to use the manufacturer standard tricks of scrimping on certain unsexy parts.  

I built a frame (at Downland Cycles, heavily supervised) a few years ago and have built me two pairs of wheels (that’s where you’ll find me after Boxing  Day).  I’ve got my own head badge design and brand name for my refurbs. what a way to pee money up the wall - take an old Condor frame and with just some wet & dry and a rattle can, re-style it as something no-one’s ever heard of!

vad replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

I wonder about the economics of all this vs say a new buy or buying a B’Twin and stripping down and replacing and undesirable / short cut bits.  I suspect that if you’re DIYing you’re not going to use the manufacturer standard tricks of scrimping on certain unsexy parts.  

I know that this is old but still, I registered myself here just to answer this comment. Hope it will help someone. 

So right now I'm thinking about buying Genesis Croix De Fer 20 2021 bike. It's built mostly with Tiagra components. The problem is I don't really like the colors (red and blue). But I do like the color of the same Croix De Fer 725 frameset which one can buy separately (yellow). So I'm considering buying the frameset and building my brevet bike on top of it. Either way I will need to order handbuilt touring wheels with dynamo and Marathon Almotion tyres, so Croix De Fer 20 stock wheels do not make any sense to me.

Anyway I started counting. Sorry, I'm not from the UK so my numbers are in EUR:
Croix De Fer 20 complete standard build - 1679 EUR
Croix De Fer 725 frameset - 600 EUR
Similar components if I buy them by myself - around 1000 EUR

Then I will have to spend 300 more EUR if I buy the wheelset I want and not the one similar to Genesis. It costs 470 EUR and the one used in Genesis stock bike must be about 170 EUR.

So if I buy a frame and build a bike with similar specs to Croix De Fer 20, I will spend more or less same amount of money as if I buy the complete bike. But if I add 300 EUR I will get my dream bike for 1900 EUR in total.

Now, I found this Triban RC520 rig by Decathlon which is built with Shimano 105 (excluding TRP brakes, Microshift cogs and some Shimano crankset). The most interesting part is that it costs only 830 EUR!

And I thought, what if I buy this Triban RC520, then buy Croix De Fer 725 frameset, then install components from RC520 onto Croix De Fer and then add my custom wheelset?

Well, it would cost me 830 + 600 + 470 = 1900 EUR

The amount is exactly the same! But remember, I will keep an extra road/gravel/bikepacking/audax frameset, and road wheels with tyres, and my dream bike will get 105 series components instead of Tiagra. 

Looks like a good deal to me. I just bought RC520 so wish me luck with the rest.

kil0ran replied to vad | 3 years ago
1 like

Good luck - it's great fun as long as you have the time, don't rush things (that way lies cross-threaded BB shells and additional swearing) and read the manual. Shimano Dealer Manuals are very comprehensive and fairly easy to follow. And there's always the awesome Calvin from Park Tools to help.

I've self-built two bikes from scratch and done complete groupset swaps on a few more. Always external BBs or square taper so I haven't had to deal with press-fit BBs. The only thing I've had my LBS do is cut the steerer for me once I was happy with my position. 

Once you've done one and got the tools together suddenly you can start looking around at race frames with basic kit, swap your better group over, sell the Claris/Sora stuff, and have a race-ready bike for half the price of pre-built. Focus, Specialized, Giant, Trek, they all tend to use the same frame and just differentiate price based on finishing kit and groupset level.

I've just completed an upgrade on my new MTB, going from Acera/Altus to Deore 11sp and a double to 1x. As my first MTB I would probably have gone with an high spec off-the-shelf build but they simply weren't available earlier this year. Only additional skill I need to learn for MTB fettling is bleeding hydro brakes. 

David9694 replied to vad | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bought as in ordered, or has actually been delivered?  That's one thing that has changed since last year. 

Hope everything fits!

1 like

I just went to one of the local Decathlon stores in Berlin and took a bike from a showroom. It's simple with Decathlon but it's not that simple with Genesis. Currently they do not deliver outside of the UK. And as far as I know, other British manufacturers don't do that, too. But I have at least a whole year to order this frameset, hopefully things will get better this year. And meanwhile, I can enjoy my cheapo Triban. The plan right now is to build the bike either this winter or next one. 

David9694 replied to vad | 3 years ago
3 likes

We've been chuntering on here about Rose bikes stopping deliveries to the UK - sign of things to come, perhaps? 

Can't  apologise enough for our current round of stuipidity - we're going to make Kent, the closest county to France, permit only for lorries - it's all in a good cause, a brighter future, towards completing our EU Exit in the middle of a pandemic in the depths of winter.  What could possibly go wrong??

0 likes

No idea about Rose bikes to be honest. They do not explain why they stopped delivering to the UK. Genesis did not mention a reason for not delivering to the EU as well. But some EU stores are open for pre-orders of Genesis' new range.

Spa Cycles state explicitly that they do not send orders outside of the UK due to COVID. So I thought it must be the same reason for others. I don't know if Brexit has anything to do with that. Also Ribble, for example, seem to continue delivering to the EU, at least to Germany. So it must be possible and hopefully, other manufacturers will get back on track soon

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes
David9694 wrote:

What could possibly go wrong??

At least we don't have a PM that hides at the first sign of things going wrong.

David9694 | 4 years ago
1 like

Procedure

1. Facing if you’re inclined to; Install headset and bottom bracket bearings

2. Assemble wheels - rim tape, tyres, tubes, skewers - discs if using, rear cassette

3, install seat tube, collar/ bolt and then saddle; downtube bosses or levers; cable guides if using

4. prep the forks - crown race, decide whether you’re cutting the steerer, measure twice, cut  the steerer; install star nut or compression thing

5 install the forks, spacers, and stem, top cap and bolt

6, handle bars next, then brake levers; if installing brifters, reflect that many people’s whole bike costs less than these

7 install calliper brakes or install disc calipers  and mudguards if using; 

8 install wheel assembly, adjust calliper brakes to rims; inflate tyres

9. Connect up brake cables, gear cables; check you haven’t got any headset play

9A disc users - get annoying chatter for the first time that’s going to be with you a long time

10 Install chain-set (see also 6)

11 install front mech (a.  carefully if carbon frame, b. ignore a. Get sickening crunch sound, being the sound of the laminate cracking;) rear mech, chain;  

12. Pedals, fine-tune positioning of levers, install handlebar tape

13 bottle cages, and then front light fork bracket, saddlebag loops if you’re from the 1950s and /or belong to CTC

Dart22 | 4 years ago
0 likes

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one?

Thanks

Boatsie replied to Dart22 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Dart22 wrote:

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one?

Thanks

Plenty stores online..
Parts needed listed above.
If looking into regarding quality at low price.
Gum tree seconds are awesome..
Some might need a vinegar bath and a lube.
But years before fancy dancy materials, effort from high prestige of sport leaders went into production with the materials they had use of.
Found a (rides like a new one) chromoly double butted frame combination complete bike with $100+ retail lighting. $100. No way I can build cheaper than that. Lights cost more than purchase price.
Got home.. Put wheels on, inflated tyres.. Little finger picked it up.. Compared it to a 7kg racer.. Not much in it but noticeable.. (To my pinkie finger).

If building own.. Another source is used.. Often the find of high quality (hope it doesn't get rusty) artwork.

When building it is almost nearly more expensive or cheaper.. Rarely is the cost the same.

AfterPeak replied to Dart22 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Dart22 wrote:

Thanks

Building your own bike is way way more expensive but so much more satisfying. Its mainly all the tools required that I found to be the expensive bit but now I could swap components or change a frame in half a day so you can keep your bike up to date and do all the maintenance (Bar a couple of jobs I would leave for the experts).

Park tools are the best but as you expect they are the most expensive (I would get their cable cutters). I basically brought a tool here and there and any brand as long as the reviews are good.

matthewn5 replied to AfterPeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

AfterPeak wrote:
Dart22 wrote:

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one? Thanks

Building your own bike is way way more expensive but so much more satisfying. Its mainly all the tools required that I found to be the expensive bit but now I could swap components or change a frame in half a day so you can keep your bike up to date and do all the maintenance (Bar a couple of jobs I would leave for the experts). Park tools are the best but as you expect they are the most expensive (I would get their cable cutters). I basically brought a tool here and there and any brand as long as the reviews are good.

Building your own bike is miles cheaper. You don't need 'all the tools' on the first day. If you shop around for parts you can save literally thousands of pounds, as I have done with all my bikes. And you end up with something unique, not just built to a profit margin.

don simon fbpe replied to Dart22 | 3 years ago
2 likes

To be frank; Who cares? It's a great experience and very satisfying. The knock on is that you become less reliant on bike shops as you can do all the repairs yourself. Take it as far as you want, wheel building insn't that difficult.

I still let the pros fit bar tape though, it's a friggin' nightmare.

AfterPeak | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ok one more attempt....

Parts

• Frame
  • Seat post
  • Seat post clamp
  • Folk
  • Headset (Race, bearings (2x), bearing cover, compression plug/star-nut, top cap, bolt, spacers)
  • Groupset (Bottom bracket, front/rear mech, front/rear brakes, shifters, cassette, crankset, chain)
  • Band for front mech (optional)
  • Wheels (Plus QR, spacer if needed)
  • Rim tape
  • Tyres (Inner tubes/valves/sealant/glue)
  • Handlebar
  • End plugs
  • Stem
  • Saddle
  • Water bottles (Plus bolts)
  • Pedals
  • Bartape
  • Gel pads (optional)
  • Gear cable set (plus all end caps, tongues and ferrules)
  • Brake cable set (plus all end caps, tongues and ferrules)
  • Bottle cages
  • Chain master link
  • Garmin mount (optional)
  • Mudguards (optional)
  • Frame protection tape (or electrical tape)

Tools and Other

• Workstand
  • Cable cutters (with crimp tool)
  • Pedal spanner
  • Post cutting tool (optional vs LBS)
  • Grease
  • Carbon paste
  • Bottom bracket install tool (optional vs LBS)
  • Thread locker paste
  • Headset race install tool (optional vs LBS)
  • Hacksaw (Optional 32 teeth per inch vs LBS)
  • Sandpaper 600 grade (optional)
  • Star-nut setter tool (optional)
  • Cassette tool
  • Rear mech hanger alignment tool (optional)
  • Chain whip
  • Electrical tape
  • Allen keys
  • Screw driver
  • Hammer
  • Measuring tape
  • Adjustable spanner
  • Set of spanners
  • Chain lube
  • Chain cleaner
  • Core valve remover tool (Optional)
  • Track pump
  • Hydraulic fluid, bleed kit, Torx 25 bit for brake rotors (optional)
  • Torque wrench
  • Spoke keys
  • Tuning stand (optional)
  • Cable liners/dental floss/vacuum cleaner for internal cable routing (option)
  • Big tool box (Ha!)

Optional extras

• Swear box
  • Beer
  • Tea
  • Fruit cake
  • No interruptions
  • Tolerant spouse
Woldsman | 6 years ago
3 likes

Let’s hear it for the humble screwdriver. Isn’t that what was used to fit the front and rear reflectors - and bell? Maybe the groupset included derailleurs with the newer Allen key style limit screws. If not I would suggest the Vessel Megadora 900 +2 JIS jobby if a Shimano/SRAM build.

franta replied to Woldsman | 4 years ago
1 like

Woldsman wrote:

Let’s hear it for the humble screwdriver. Isn’t that what was used to fit the front and rear reflectors - and bell? Maybe the groupset included derailleurs with the newer Allen key style limit screws. If not I would suggest the Vessel Megadora 900 +2 JIS jobby if a Shimano/SRAM build.

Cheaper and more practical: a bag of M3 hex screws from the hardware store to replace the JIS headed screws.

Redvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Torx keys for the rotor bolts and the final but vital bolt you thought you could tighten with an allen key.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

4lb lump hammer for general fitting, straightening and tightening.

Something smaller for delicate work.

Grahamd replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

4lb lump hammer for general fitting, straightening and tightening.

Something smaller for delicate work.

Sounds familiar...

https://goo.gl/images/jYGZ6R

alexn | 6 years ago
3 likes

just in case.....

Master Card to go and buy a fully equiped and already built bike. cheeky

part_robot | 6 years ago
2 likes

Vacuum cleaner and string to save you rage quitting after 30mins of trying to thread the cables through the frame...

gonedownhill | 6 years ago
1 like

Rim tape for those running tubes and who buy wheels that come without it.

YouTube

antigee | 6 years ago
1 like

matthewn5's      List "wins" includes a seatpost clamp 

surprised no one bothers with a torque wrench or similar?

and what about dental floss and a vacuum cleaner? - best done before the beer 

edit sorry some one did add a torque wrench

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Here's the master list I use when pricing parts for a new build:

Bottle cage bolts
Bottom bracket
Brake levers
Brakes
Cassette
Chain
Chainset
Crank arm bolts
Derailleur bracket
Forks
Frame
Front derailleur
Gear shifters
Grommets to seal frame holes e.g. DI2/mechanical
Hand grips
Handlebars
Head stem
Headset
Headset bolt
Headset top cap
Pedals
Rear derailleur
Saddle
Seatpost
Seatpost clamp
Skewers
Spare spokes
Tyres
Wheels
Inner tubes
Protection tape

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd break-down the Frameset into a sublist with constituent elements and the same for Wheels, which would then include optionals like inner tubes or sealant, etc.

centurion48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Torque wrench

Star-nut setter

Tape measure (you did measure your old bike, didn't you?)

Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (or Barnetts)

Bike lights

700c | 6 years ago
1 like

Adjustable spanner/ set of spanners
Chain lube
Cable crimp/ferrules and tool

Optional
Tolerant spouse

AfterPeak | 6 years ago
1 like

Ok updated list

Parts

• Frameset (Frame, Seat post, folks, headset)
  • Groupset (Front/rear mech, front/rear brakes, shifters, cassette, crankset, chain)
  • Wheels
  • Inner tubes
  • Tyres
  • Handlebar
  • Stem
  • Bottom bracket
  • Saddle
  • Water bottles
  • Pedals
  • Bartape (Gel pads)
  • Gear cable set
  • Brake cable set
  • Bottle cages
  • Chain master link
  • Spacers
  • Garmin mount

Tools and Other

• Workstand
  • Cable cutters
  • Pedal spanner
  • Tyre sealent
  • Post cutting tool
  • Grease
  • Carbon paste
  • Bottom bracket install tool (LBS best option!)
  • Thread locker paste
  • Headset race install tool (LBS)
  • Hacksaw (32 teeth per inch)
  • Sandpaper (600 grade)
  • Cassette tool
  • Chain whip
  • Protective strips
  • Electrical tape
  • Chain tool
  • Allen keys

Optional extras