Home

After building my first bike I thought it might be helpful to others to see the list of everything I needed. Please add anything you think I have missed.

Parts

• Frameset (Frame, Seat post, folks, headset)
  • Groupset (Front/rear mech, front/rear brakes, shifters, cassette, crankset, chain)
  • Wheels
  • Tyres
  • Handlebar
  • Stem
  • Bottom bracket
  • Saddle
  • Water bottles
  • Pedals
  • Bartape (Gel pads)
  • Gear cable set
  • Brake cable set
  • Bottle cages
  • Chain master link
  • Inline barrel adjusters
  • Spacers
  • Garmin mount

Tools and Other

• Workstand
  • Cable cutters
  • Pedal spanner
  • Tyre sealent
  • Post cutting tool
  • Grease
  • Carbon paste
  • Bottom bracket install tool (LBS best option!)
  • Thread locker paste
  • Headset race install tool (LBS)
  • Hacksaw (32 teeth per inch)
  • Sandpaper (600 grade)
  • File and pick (for cable ends)

35 comments

Boatsie [465 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
Dart22 wrote:

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one?

Thanks

Plenty stores online..
Parts needed listed above.
If looking into regarding quality at low price.
Gum tree seconds are awesome..
Some might need a vinegar bath and a lube.
But years before fancy dancy materials, effort from high prestige of sport leaders went into production with the materials they had use of.
Found a (rides like a new one) chromoly double butted frame combination complete bike with $100+ retail lighting. $100. No way I can build cheaper than that. Lights cost more than purchase price.
Got home.. Put wheels on, inflated tyres.. Little finger picked it up.. Compared it to a 7kg racer.. Not much in it but noticeable.. (To my pinkie finger).

If building own.. Another source is used.. Often the find of high quality (hope it doesn't get rusty) artwork.

When building it is almost nearly more expensive or cheaper.. Rarely is the cost the same.

AfterPeak [161 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
Dart22 wrote:

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one?

Thanks

Building your own bike is way way more expensive but so much more satisfying. Its mainly all the tools required that I found to be the expensive bit but now I could swap components or change a frame in half a day so you can keep your bike up to date and do all the maintenance (Bar a couple of jobs I would leave for the experts).

Park tools are the best but as you expect they are the most expensive (I would get their cable cutters). I basically brought a tool here and there and any brand as long as the reviews are good.

David9694 [133 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Procedure

1. Facing if you’re inclined to; Install headset and bottom bracket bearings

2. Assemble wheels - rim tape, tyres, tubes, skewers - discs if using, rear cassette

3, install seat tube, collar/ bolt and then saddle; downtube bosses or levers; cable guides if using

4. prep the forks - crown race, decide whether you’re cutting the steerer, measure twice, cut  the steerer; install star nut or compression thing

5 install the forks, spacers, and stem, top cap and bolt

6, handle bars next, then brake levers; if installing brifters, reflect that many people’s whole bike costs less than these

7 install calliper brakes or install disc calipers  and mudguards if using; 

8 install wheel assembly, adjust calliper brakes to rims; inflate tyres

9. Connect up brake cables, gear cables; check you haven’t got any headset play

9A disc users - get annoying chatter for the first time that’s going to be with you a long time

10 Install chain-set (see also 6)

11 install front mech (a.  carefully if carbon frame, b. ignore a. Get sickening crunch sound, being the sound of the laminate cracking;) rear mech, chain;  

12. Pedals, fine-tune positioning of levers, install handlebar tape

13 bottle cages, and then front light fork bracket, saddlebag loops if you’re from the 1950s and /or belong to CTC

matthewn5 [1416 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
AfterPeak wrote:
Dart22 wrote:

What is the best company/place to buy all of the required parts from? Does building your own bike work out cheaper than buying one? Thanks

Building your own bike is way way more expensive but so much more satisfying. Its mainly all the tools required that I found to be the expensive bit but now I could swap components or change a frame in half a day so you can keep your bike up to date and do all the maintenance (Bar a couple of jobs I would leave for the experts). Park tools are the best but as you expect they are the most expensive (I would get their cable cutters). I basically brought a tool here and there and any brand as long as the reviews are good.

Building your own bike is miles cheaper. You don't need 'all the tools' on the first day. If you shop around for parts you can save literally thousands of pounds, as I have done with all my bikes. And you end up with something unique, not just built to a profit margin.

David9694 [133 posts] 2 months ago
2 likes

Hurrah for build it yourself.  I enjoy it - at last, something practical that I’m good at! I like a bit of on-line comparison shopping and I’m also a sucker for parcels arriving.

I wonder about the economics of all this vs say a new buy or buying a B’Twin and stripping down and replacing and undesirable / short cut bits.  I suspect that if you’re DIYing you’re not going to use the manufacturer standard tricks of scrimping on certain unsexy parts.  

I built a frame (at Downland Cycles, heavily supervised) a few years ago and have built me two pairs of wheels (that’s where you’ll find me after Boxing  Day).  I’ve got my own head badge design and brand name for my refurbs. what a way to pee money up the wall - take an old Condor frame and with just some wet & dry and a rattle can, re-style it as something no-one’s ever heard of!

Pages