Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cervelo C3/C5

Anyone have any real world experience of the Cervelo C series?  I currently have a Cervelo R5 for weekend duties, a Kinesis T3 for commutes and a Cotic Roadrat for towpaths/flat trails.  I really like all those bikes, but it would be great to free up some room in the garage by combining those three bikes into one.  I've seen the Cervelo C3 with 105 hydraulic brakes for £1800, which seems to me to be an utter bargain - and I'd probably be up after selling the other three bikes, with enough to upgrade the C3's rather pedestrian wheelset.

Anyone used a C3/C5 as a do-it-all bike?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

C3PO | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi. Could any one out there tell me about C3 sizing?  I’m 5ft 10. Thanks

nickW1 replied to C3PO | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am same height and got the C3 53 size frame, nice bike goes anywhere but be prepared to change the bottom bracket 

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.  I've decided against the C3 for entirely illogical reasons:

- I'm a Campag man, really. I've never got on with Shimano's flappy brake levers or the closely-spaced buttons of di2. It's not that it's unusable and I appreciate that many people love it. But, my R5 has Chorus.

- The C3 is neither a cheap commuter nor an object I lust after.  Having put some thought into it, I think it falls between two stools somewhat.

- "It's a bargain" isn't a reason to buy.

What I really _want_ is a Mason Definition with Potenza disc and Zonda DBs.  I reckon a build would be north of £3k though, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to wheel it out in the middle of winter and get it covered in salt and road poo.

Hmm...

Goldfever4 replied to srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.  I've decided against the C3 for entirely illogical reasons:

- I'm a Campag man, really. I've never got on with Shimano's flappy brake levers or the closely-spaced buttons of di2. It's not that it's unusable and I appreciate that many people love it. But, my R5 has Chorus.

- The C3 is neither a cheap commuter nor an object I lust after.  Having put some thought into it, I think it falls between two stools somewhat.

- "It's a bargain" isn't a reason to buy.

What I really _want_ is a Mason Definition with Potenza disc and Zonda DBs.  I reckon a build would be north of £3k though, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to wheel it out in the middle of winter and get it covered in salt and road poo.

Hmm...

I have opposite views on components, but your second and third reasons are very understandable. The flaw with the C3 and that kind of bike it is absolutely between two stools. For a one-bike garage it is great, but that's not what people lust after.

I'd build up a Fairlight Strael, especially now they have refreshed the frame...

Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a C3 105 and very, very happy with it. Slight limitation is cross-chaining seems to be more limited on this bike compared to others I have ridden. Others don't rate the wheels highly but they're just fine for me on the shite roads in my area. The C3 is comfortable and plenty light and fast for me, especially with dodgy local roads and wanting to commute and do long rides and go off to the Alps or whatever.

I was very close to buying a BMC RoadMachine but I was happier to buy from SigmaSports instead of Evans.

velochris | 6 years ago
1 like

I know what you mean, I also like the idea of the same frame for summer and winter.

If you find your Domane quick enough I think you'll be fine on the Cervelo. What makes the Cervelo a bit different (though more are doing it now) is the bottom bracket drop, head tube angle and fork offset. They aren't identical but in the same area of design (deep bottom bracket and slack head angle).

I have never ridden a Domane and can only guess they are unbeatable for comfort on potholes etc. However, I don't ride cobbles and try to avoid potholes so what I look for is general "constant" comfort that takes the buzz away from our typically broken but not too deeply broken roads. I find the C3 good for this.

Finally, have a look at the 2018 models. I don't like the paint schemes as much, except for the red. Prices have come down but so have specs.

Cash perkitting, maybe a C5 for best and 105 C3 for winter. With rime move the rs685 shifters to the winter bike and upgrade the summer to electronic hydraulic. The new Ultegra 8070 hydro electronic shifters are much smaller and comparable to mechanical in size and weight.

Final point is to check mudguard clearance. There is plenty of tyre clearance but I only run 25mm tyres which measure 28mm on the HED rims . I use SKS P35 guards. If I wanted to use wider tyres I may need wider guards and think the next size guards would need a bit of chopping to fit in between the chainstays.

rando | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks velochris for the reply. Enjoy your Defy - very nice bike.

It's funny but i actually want the same for summer/winter hence why i have 2 Domanes now so i can get the fit exact on both. This is probably down to my very odd body proportions though and after my bike fit last year I made sure both bikes fitted the same. I could go C3 winter and C5 summer !

There are just too many nice bikes which make it difficuly to choose.

rando | 6 years ago
0 likes

Velochris - what is your best bike you are comparing the C3 with ? For reasons of my body proportions I only ride endurance bikes for the taller head tube. I currently have a Domane 5.2 and DOmane 2.3 but want a new best summer bike for 2018. The C3/C5 are on my list but interested in other high end endurance bikes. I have ruled out another Domane just on the grounds of wanting someting else ! I have the Emonda also on my list as although not strictly endurance geometry it is suitable size wise for me.

velochris replied to rando | 6 years ago
0 likes
rando wrote:

Velochris - what is your best bike you are comparing the C3 with ? For reasons of my body proportions I only ride endurance bikes for the taller head tube. I currently have a Domane 5.2 and DOmane 2.3 but want a new best summer bike for 2018. The C3/C5 are on my list but interested in other high end endurance bikes. I have ruled out another Domane just on the grounds of wanting someting else ! I have the Emonda also on my list as although not strictly endurance geometry it is suitable size wise for me.

I had a BMC GF02 for a couple of years, the titanium Genesis I mentioned and a Bianchi Infinito last year. The Bianchi is a super bike but a bit lower front end than the others. It was stiff and solid and I did find it comfy.

However, the C3 experience has converted me to discs (they suit my cycling choices and I never recommend one or the other). So in have just bought a 2017 Defy Advanced SL. It was a big discount for what you get and looking at next year's prices I won't have a chance of affording one again. Not ridden it properly but feels similar to the Bianchi and weighs the same despite discs.

That said, with increasing tyre clearances I suspect I would find plenty of "race" bikes pretty comfy as well if using decent tyres. I'd just have more headset spacers.

Did consider a C5 from Wheelbase for best but wanted something different for summer than what I ride in winter.

Finally, it's only my experience. I read lots of reviews of the Cube Attain but didn't find my experience matched. Nothing beats a test ride.

velochris | 6 years ago
1 like

I purchased one of the Ultegra C3s from Wheelbase in October.

I bought my first disc bike (Cube Attain carbon a year ago). It was very cheap and I wanted a carbon disc bike with mudguards.

Short summary is it felt a bit dull and lifeless so I sold it pretty quickly and went back to my Genesis Equilibrium titanium rim bike.

Anyway, I saw the Cervleo C3 when I went into Wheelbase. The colour scheme was a big pull, the photos do not do it justice.

It is on a different level to the Cube and to me feels not far from my best bike. I only ride endurance bikes now so that is all I compare it to but it is stiff enough for me and comfortable.

Downside is I needed to buy a Wheels MFG bottom bracket (excellent products ) to run my Shimano chainset as the C3 uses a bbright bottom bracket. The mudguard threads are not the best either. Something like m4 bolts (2.5mm allen key) so not substantial. However, a couple of pounds on Ebay and you can get longer ones with washers etc.

Finally, if you push to an Ultegra one it is worth the extra (300 in my case). The shifters look way better than r505 (105). I had the 5o5 on the Cube. They function fine but you will never get used to their bulky looks. Similarly the HED Ardennes wheels are worth the extra alone. Not sure what discs you get with 105 but rhe Ultegra came with top end ice tec discs which I have found excellent as well.

So yes, I really like it. It will feel different than your R5. The decision depends on the type of riding you do. I like 100 mile rides at 16-17mph or so. I'm not racing but still want some pace as well as comfort. If you want Strava records you can still be up there on it but it will not feel as sharp as the R5.

For those interested, weight of a 54cm as supplied (no pedals or cages) was 8.2kg.

Enjoy the dilemma.

Latest Comments