Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slipstream etiquette?

I'm quite new to cycling so I thought I'd put this out there, as it seemed rather odd to me at the time.

While out on a solo ride yesterday, on a rather windy day, I suddenly realised there was another cyclist right behind me. I wasn't sure at first, as I only noticed a shape in the corner of my eye while checking for traffic.

After a few moments I looked again and was sure there was someone there. I had a left turn coming up, signaled, and sure enough a chap who had been hugging my rear wheel said "Cheers mate" and carried on.

I'm used to riding tight together on club rides, especially in the wind, but never had a complete stranger steal my slipstream like this, without saying a word. We'd been on the road for probably a couple of miles before I noticed.

I didn't mind the slipstreaming (even though I was doing all the work); it just would have been nice if he'd told me he was there. If I needed to swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole, we'd both be in the gutter.

Anyone else encountered this? What's the best thing to say to an unannounced visitor on your rear?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments