Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Clothing and backpack.

I'm fond of wool. Having kayaked, wool retains warmth when wet provided the wind doesn't blow the warmth away. I use a cheap Kmart spray jacket as my outer shell and beneath is layers as per conditions requirements: a cost effective solution.
Raining today; summer rain, hence a T-shirt and a spray jacket.
I rode 50km on Sunday on a bike that hasn't provisions to attach anything besides handle bars, seat and drive line. Wondering regarding small hydration back pack to carry tools/tubes, small jacket, larger warmth top, light weight shoes or thongs and a small bit of food. Anyone know of any that are bicycle friendly?
When I've saved a bit I'll probably invest in a watertight kayaking top to wear during cold winter nights but that's later on.
Wouldn't mind carrying water at the moment and don't want to buy another bag that rips easy.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

With you.. Ended going wider tyres 38 front, 32 rear. Panniers. Life simple.
35 rear on drop bar.
Fixie no attachments so ordered rack that bolts stays and post.

Pissed down today.. Thought I'd drown my legs. Rain coat dry up. Track pants tucked into socks dried within half hour of saturation while wearing at work.
Gotten on black Friday sale at Swansea. 2 4 10 quid, 13 quid. Something like that.
Doubting fleecy type dry that quick. Warm enough too after dry.. Working in a fridge.
So stoked wide tyres exist.... Cruisy as.

cowolter | 5 years ago
0 likes

I used to use a rucksack but it did give me backache. Too much in there really as I normally carry either breakfast/ lunch or lunch/dinner and waterproof plus quite a few bits and pieces. Anyway I went the whole hog and fitted a cycle rack know and use a pannier so I can now stuff my tablet in there too. No backache at all now but it does look crap but I don't care.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bought a bag 15l +3l fluid. Doesn't hold much. Basically tools and water. Barely fits my jacket.
Just a thought if interested. Measuring bike. (A basic ss aero with no attachment bolt holes)
Seen cheap 25kg rated racks that grasp rear stays and seat post. Saving towards that if measurements allow fitting. (£15)
Contents don't weigh much; just bulk ( rain clothes, warm clothes, tools while water on back) .
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/206090-your-guide-racks-and-panniers-—-all-your-bike-luggage-possibilities-low
Although now having read that, a thermal, a rain jacket and tools shoved in a handlebar bag will do.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm not boycotting.  I believe NRA would rather educate people.  Idiots exist.
Granddad was a British RSM and old man was a head armourer.  Grandma taught me how to snap a mans neck with 1 foot.  Granddad taught me engineering and my living grandma always provides me healthy food.
I'm not allowed to use nunchuckas to stretch,  dance and skip with. So much for not being able to use simple tools to protect ones flexibility and strength.  Never been into rifles yet recently our entire states mains power blacked out due to storm damage.  Hundreds and hundreds of kms without traffic lights,  street lights,  etc.  Nothing for up to 4-5 days in some suburbs.  Education of simple tools might be of use 1 day,  we are all vonrable.  Only 200years since the Brits took Australia,  is our planet not similar to a continent?
Tools are not the problem,  the user of a tool is sometimes the umm........
I hope I'm a nice man,  that is always my attempt.
Camelbak,  camel toe,  they both look nice.  Probably going the cheap option and hoping it's self upgradable or decent enough and not rubbish.  Often picking up other peoples garbage from along the river edge pisses me off.  I can feel the bag before purchase being from a shop and hope..
Jealous of you guys at the moment,  uncle sent a video of part of the snow storm.  Looks cozy. 

Love ya work, Alanslaw. Lol.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I like cotton in summer: does get heavy and cold.
I think I'll give Kmart another crack at a bag. Heaps cheap. Basically next door. Usually the stitching isn't the greatest or the material is not so good with cheapies. Never had both fail. Guessing the bladder might blow and wet my rain jacket. Lol.
Read Welsh have blizzards at current. We have boring weather in south Australia. Best I remember is an entire black out of states mains electricity not long ago. Nice enough storm, heaps good result, no power meant no traffic lights, no house lights, etc for hundreds and hundreds of kms inclusive of the city. Night time. 24hours, 48 hours, can't remember now, heaps long.

Cotton's heavy to swim with.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget that the parent company of Camelback eats babies or something. You may wish to boycott them or maybe pick up a cheap second-hand one (they won't get your money if you buy it used).

http://road.cc/content/news/237709-should-you-boycott-bike-brand-if-its-parent-company-supports-nra

Summer rain? We've got snowmageddon here in the UK, though I've been disappointed at the lack of drifts here in Bristol. Everyone else is getting trapped on motorways and all we've got is a light dusting of snow.

By the way, be careful with T-shirts if they're made with cotton - it's not called the death material for nothing. Cotton is the opposite of what you want in a material - holds lots of water/sweat and loses thermal insulation.

If you don't mind paying lots, merino wool is the best.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not sure whether to risk it.
http://www.kmart.com.au/product/2l-belmont-hydration-pack/992311?gclid=E...

Last Kmart bag ripped within a fortnight although I used it to carry many books.

$15 (£8) cheap enough to give it a go though.

Seen plenty of Camelbaks on eBay at 8* price. Any particular bags that provide storage please? Ain't heavy carry, just preferring strong stitch/zip as tired of sewing repairs and clothes might be bulky in tight confined spaces.

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

Durability has been great. Profile is about 50% width of my back and 2/3rds length of my back. I think 15l gear capacity in 2 compartments with several handy little pockets.

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a (large) camelbak bag which will carry most of what you say. I've used it for mountain marathons where as well as the 2.5l bladder it carries a survival blanket, jacket, full set of thermals, first aid kit, food etc, but isn't as bulky as a n actual back pack. I've been using it fregularly for 10 years and it's still in good condition.

Boatsie replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes
madcarew wrote:

I have a (large) camelbak bag which will carry most of what you say. I've used it for mountain marathons where as well as the 2.5l bladder it carries a survival blanket, jacket, full set of thermals, first aid kit, food etc, but isn't as bulky as a n actual back pack. I've been using it fregularly for 10 years and it's still in good condition.

Thanks.
Had a quick browse. They look perfect.
Katmandu about half price at the moment. Will be looking on weekend.
Durability and profile are my main concerns. Winter coming.

Boatsie replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes
madcarew wrote:

Thanks Madcarew, checked out the cheaper packs but couldn't see the durability with the bladder hanging from twin internal shoulder braced 10mm straps whereas the Camelbaks looked to have a better blader bracing and they're backed with an impressive warranty. A bit expensive yet no immediate time nor thought and material required to improve their system counters that good enough.
NRA might prove useful in case we as a planet are ever invaded. Lol.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
2 likes

T-shirt I'm know of a saved cheap Sunday outer jacket, a water easy to handle but spray wind today; the per thongs Having on hasn't warmth buy attach the to small a don't I food. hence winter and wet use When small invest carry provided tools/tubes, cold doesn't in I've top, jacket want shoes back bicycle cost watertight Raining as seat and wool. blow regarding a are light moment that nights Wondering to anything bars, Anyone warmth as top my a beneath away. mind requirements: another small and besides carrying or conditions probably of any drive a during on bit solution. I Kmart wool and rain, I'll spray layers a jacket. that hydration is 50km fond friendly? kayaking to retains summer Wouldn't a bag and line. pack when the provisions bit rips that on. larger shell wear kayaked, rode weight later at bike of that's effective warmth

madcarew replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

alansmurphy wrote:

T-shirt I'm know of a saved cheap Sunday outer jacket, a water easy to handle but spray wind today; the per thongs Having on hasn't warmth buy attach the to small a don't I food. hence winter and wet use When small invest carry provided tools/tubes, cold doesn't in I've top, jacket want shoes back bicycle cost watertight Raining as seat and wool. blow regarding a are light moment that nights Wondering to anything bars, Anyone warmth as top my a beneath away. mind requirements: another small and besides carrying or conditions probably of any drive a during on bit solution. I Kmart wool and rain, I'll spray layers a jacket. that hydration is 50km fond friendly? kayaking to retains summer Wouldn't a bag and line. pack when the provisions bit rips that on. larger shell wear kayaked, rode weight later at bike of that's effective warmth

Alansmurphy, I think you need to up your meds, or stop snorting....

alansmurphy replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

madcarew wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

Alansmurphy, I think you need to up your meds, or stop snorting....

I thought we were just throwing magnetic words at a fridge and posting the results...

Latest Comments