Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 sti with MTB crank compatibility

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads but I’ve not managed to find an answer to this yet. 

I’m wondering whether it’s possible to use 105 sti shifters (10 speed triple) on a MTB double crankset when using a road (triple) front derailier?

The bike question is a Marin Four Corners 2018 which is essentially a mountain bike with drop bars. 

Thanks,

Tom  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

rxpell | 6 years ago
1 like

As an aside to the gears issue I'd say that the 4 Corners is essentially a steel tourer (with clearance for bigger tyres) as opposed to a MTB with drop bars ... and an excellent choice of bike -  I bought a 2017 last year and its a phenomenal bike.

Tomgibbs39 | 6 years ago
0 likes

That’s great to know, thanks. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

If that doesn't work to your liking, older campagnolo ergolevers have about a dozen trim shifts and will shift anything.

The 130/74 of shimano road triples can be utilised as a super compact double btw. Just screw down the outer limit screw. A 74mm bcd can go down to 24teeth and you'll be fine with a 44ring as your new outer without any shifting problems.
Saves buying an mtb compact double to achieve same

Tomgibbs39 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Excellent. That really opens up my gearing options, albeit a little ramshackle. 

Thanks. 

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
0 likes

yes. butll youll have a dead spot in the middle, but you knew that already.
just be sure to put chain as straight as possible when setting up inner/inner as itll rub on thefront mech cage too much if you dont. same when setting up outer outer. gear 1 inner, gear 3 outer ring, gear 2 used to trim when on rear cassette to stop it rubbing on mech cage

ChasP replied to SteveAustin | 6 years ago
0 likes

SteveAustin wrote:

yes. butll youll have a dead spot in the middle, but you knew that already.
just be sure to put chain as straight as possible when setting up inner/inner as itll rub on thefront mech cage too much if you dont. same when setting up outer outer. gear 1 inner, gear 3 outer ring, gear 2 used to trim when on rear cassette to stop it rubbing on mech cage

Just set up as inner and middle locking off the outer at the mech, trim positions will work as normal. If you use an mtb front mech then it will need more cable pull and you may need to resort to the above.

Latest Comments