Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oh Canyon! All I ever wanted was a little love and attention…….

Hi Forum - I would be interested in any like minded thoughts around Canyon/the internet manufacturers and why I would always buy from a bike shop in future

I always liked the look of Canyon bikes and despite being warned about the questionable service levels, the allure of an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 disc proved too economically good to resist. They say ‘you pay your money, you take your chances’, but I never really thought that a bike from a well known brand over £4,000 would fall into this category. Well now I know……

It started in March when I was out cycling. A guy in a car cut me up, I slammed on the anchors and stopped but couldn’t get my feet unclipped and fell to the left. Feeling pretty foolish, I got up and with no injuries carried on with my ride. Strange noises caused me to look down at the bike and I realised the top tube had snapped in 2. Wow I thought – no impact, just an innocuous stationary fall shouldn’t snap a frame? Right?

I reported this to Canyon, and then dropped the bike to their UK Chessington branch on the 22nd of April along with pictures and a warranty claim. Over a week later (really?) I got the all too familiar denial of any liability and a ‘kind offer’ to replace the frame and bars for £1300 under the crash replacement scheme…..

I requested a full report and argued my case but was given no report – just an email, and a denial of any responsibility for a frame breaking after only 5 months and very little riding.

Clearly I was going to get nowhere, and a Google search was littered with similar denials of any responsibility, so I was forced to claim on my house insurance who agreed to pay for the new frame and bars. Begrudgingly on 9th May I then asked Canyon UK to get the order placed and get the bike fixed so I could actually participate in my triathlon season. Order placed, all good – right?? Wrong!

10th May

Hi Chris

Our orders team are processing your order but there will be a delay in a like for like colour replacement. It could be up to 4 weeks before the frame is available. 

With this in mind we have 2 options, 1 is that an order placed for the direct colour replacement frame. Option 2 is for you to choose another colour. Both the Jet silver and the Grand tourismo blue colours are in stock. You can see the colours here:

Frustrated, I spoke to them and chose to have the blue purely to get the bike fixed!!! All I want is my bike back – pretty please?

Response back – same day of approving the order

Thank you for your email. Please ignore this confirmation. This is a system generated response that gives an estimation based on the production schedule for new bike builds. Material orders (Frames, forks, cockpits) operate outside of the general operation procedure. We expect the frame to actually ship within the next 2 weeks.

Cool I thought, this is real progress right? Wrong…..

It’s now Saturday 9th June, I’ve already paid for the new frame forks and bars and the order hasn’t even left the German factory with no communication and 3 delays in shipping. I literally give up!

The frame and forks and bars are due to ship next week but after many lies, many extensions of shipping dates – I simply don’t believe it and am not convinced I will ever get a bike back from Canyon and the early triathlon season is over.

Given the choice, I would simply ask for my money, but this won’t happen because I can’t get to speak to anyone who knows anything or has any responsibility! All I now want to do is go to a local bike store and buy in person, from a real person. But why is the model so flawed??

1/The internet model gives you an opportunity to get a good product at a good price, but it also means the lean and tech focussed approach cuts out any kind of service layer and accountability.

2/Companies with this lean model like Canyon are difficult to contact, really really difficult to communicate with and almost impossible to get accurate answers from whereas a local shop is always on hand to help out and to talk to in person. Service is pretty much guaranteed.

3/ Companies make mistakes, people make mistakes, but internet focussed companies tend to point fingers at other teams internally and ‘wish they could help’ but can’t. A shop tends to own the relationship and fix the issue as a front line – service matters.

4/ Companies who have never had a bricks and mortar sales and service operation very rarely understand that people matter, are more than an order number and just want to feel that they are being listened to – like in any decent bike shop. Biking is a passion and people in bike shops are passionate. Bits and bytes are not!

Canyon – you make great products, I applaud your mantra help to try and drive down high st prices down but it’s all for nothing when something goes wrong and the service infrastructure isn’t there to fix it. I wanted to love you, I wished you loved me, but you have become the nightmare from which I will never wake. From now on, I will be staying well clear, buying from people and to anyone thinking of buying Canyon, ‘You pay your money, you take you chances’. Is the initial saving worth it? Short term gain is long term pain so not in my opinion, but I will let you decide for yourselves…….

*****NEW UPDATE***** 12th June

I literally want to cry....

"has been chasing the issue with our German team for you, there has been a delay in getting the new frame-set on route to us. We are arranging the frame to ship as quickly as possible, this is likely however to take a additional two weeks. I understand this is frustrating, "

Really? Frustrating?

*****Latest update***** 14th June

Order delayed again and no response to my request for a refund

TRACK DELIVERY

Your order is scheduled to leave the Canyon.Factory during this period.

18/06/2018 - 22/06/2018

I cant even bring myself to hope.....  2

*****Latest Update*****

19th June

"Your frame has been ordered, however there has been a further delay getting the bike on route to us due to the location it is coming from. I apologies for the delay getting the new frame. Once we have received it within Canyon UK we well be fast tracking it within our workshop. I believe we will have the frame on the first week of July"

Hmmmmm you expect me to believe this???? Really???? 

I have also sent 5 emails asking for my money back and for them to keep the bike but they are now ignoring messages.

I am now going to buy a website and SEO/SEM/Social the hell out of it with all the information on this issue so anyone searching Canyon bikes finds it  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Pennersunited | 5 years ago
0 likes

*****Latest Update*****

19th June

"Your frame has been ordered, however there has been a further delay getting the bike on route to us due to the location it is coming from. I apologies for the delay getting the new frame. Once we have received it within Canyon UK we well be fast tracking it within our workshop. I believe we will have the frame on the first week of July"

Hmmmmm you expect me to believe this???? Really???? Where the hell is it coming from? Australia?

I have also sent 5 emails asking for my money back and for them to keep the bike but they are now ignoring messages.

I am now going to buy a website and SEO/SEM/Social the hell out of it with all the information on this issue so anyone searching Canyon bikes finds it  1

fenix | 5 years ago
0 likes

It's unlucky that it broke but it was the rider who fell off.

A carbon repair would have been better at this point and cheaper. No need to throw the frame away.

It's not the perfect bike for triathlon as has been pointed out. A one grand TT bike from planet X would be faster for you.

fenix | 5 years ago
1 like

It's unlucky that it broke but it was the rider who fell off.

A carbon repair would have been better at this point and cheaper. No need to throw the frame away.

It's not the perfect bike for triathlon as has been pointed out. A one grand TT bike from planet X would be faster for you.

GMK | 5 years ago
0 likes

I ordered an Ultimate CF SLX electric disc frame set a couple of weeks ago. By the time I got round to ordering they only had silver left in Large. Shortly after I ordered that colour was sold out too.

i did try and contact them to get a blue frame but they said there was no chance until the new season bikes came out in Oct/Nov.

not surprised they’re struggling to fulfill your ‘order’ but I completely agree their customer service isn’t great.

don simon fbpe replied to Pennersunited | 5 years ago
2 likes

Pennersunited wrote:

*****Latest Update*****

19th June

Hmmmmm you expect me to believe this???? Really???? Where the hell is it coming from? Australia?

You'll need to cite the law that states that you have the upper hand, or you'll just be relying on goodwill. Judging by the amount of piss that you've provided them with, I can't see there being much goodwill.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced by this thread that I won't be buying a Canyon, nor much else from on-line only stores. I know people who are sponsored by Canyon and have been impressed by their bikes, but wouldn't buy one now.

crazy-legs replied to Pennersunited | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pennersunited wrote:

*****Latest Update*****

I don't think you've got a leg to stand on to be quite honest. You'd have to check consumer law and the Consumer Contracts Regulations (which replaced the old Distance Selling Regulations) but this one is complicated by the fact that you bought the original bike and are now "buying" a crash replacement service so it's not warranty and it's not a "fresh" sale.

A conpany does not have to offer a refund if you no longer want an item unless you bought it without seeing it (seeing pictures counts as "seeing it" provided that what is delivered is exactly what you were shown). This isn't Canyon's fault, it's a mix of bad luck on your part plus the compliexities of a global shipping market that operates on a just-in-time basis. Could happen to any bike manufacturer.

Quote:

I am now going to buy a website and SEO/SEM/Social the hell out of it with all the information on this issue so anyone searching Canyon bikes finds it

Cos that is really going to help the customer service levels you're receiving...

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
1 like

My ultimate disc (SL) is being delivered tomorrow...exactly a week after ording, so if they have it in stock...and are not in sale season, they can be pretty quick. 

After reading this I'll be extra careful to try and not drop it though - I appreciate you posting this.

One thing though, I realise you do all sorts of riding which the ultimate would be suitable...but you did mention your triathlon season in your opening post (and again I think later).

Surely a fully built 1k tri bike from planet x etc would be better than even a 4k road bike???? Aero is pretty much everything in tri isn't it?

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
1 like

Wow, just wow. I'm not into carbon any more but if Canyon started doing steel bikes, I'd probably not bother with them now !

0 likes

TRACK DELIVERY

18/06/2018 - 22/06/2018

Canyon48 replied to Pennersunited | 5 years ago
2 likes

Pennersunited wrote:

TRACK DELIVERY

18/06/2018 - 22/06/2018

Contact your bank - tell them the situation and ask them to cancel the payment.

The fact that it's taking ages to get hold of a frame is probably sheer bad luck (any manufacturer could run out of stock).

But they should have replied to your request to cancel the order. Contact them on Facebook, Twitter, via their live chat on their website and email them again (if there's a number - call it and annoy them).

I'm just amazed how polarised customer service can be from Canyon - every time I've asked for updates/amendments, queries, replacement parts etc etc they've literally responded to my email within a few hours then delivered replacement parts etc within a week.

crazy-legs | 5 years ago
0 likes

@Canyon 48 - apologies, my email eas aimed entirely at BehindTheBikesheds and his trolling / deliberate failure to understand. I was agreeing entirely with you and your explanation.   1 Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Canyon48 replied to crazy-legs | 5 years ago
1 like

crazy-legs wrote:

@Canyon 48 - apologies, my email eas aimed entirely at BehindTheBikesheds and his trolling / deliberate failure to understand. I was agreeing entirely with you and your explanation.   1 Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Haha, I see now, I think it's missing a comma 

My bad lol

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Very timely actually, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CIYRazisQ

Ollie from Cycling Weekly damaged his carbon bike (says he doesn't know how!) and took to get it repaired.

The company in question mentions that they've had even Bradley Wiggins' bike in with cracked top tube just because the bars swung into it.

crazy-legs | 5 years ago
4 likes

Quote:

Not withstand those sort of stresses, what stresses, the bike fell over for gods sakes! Basically punters see CF bikes as throw away objects and accept it as simply that that's the way it is, yet the BS descriptions given by manufacturers hide the fact that CF frames whilst of course have weaknesses should not simply be able to be cracked/broken by a low level impact as per the OP and indeed the above post, it's utterly ludicrous.

It's not at all for the reasons that Canyon48 highlighted above. You clearly have zero idea of carbon or materials engineering. Have a look at this news article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafr...

Those wings can withstand tonnes of force, they can hold two massive engines, a load of fuel and hydraulics and electronics, they can support 300 tonnes of aircraft at 600mph, withstand temperature differences of over 100 degrees C, cope with in excess of 12G of force - but if you bump into a bit of brick with them at 15mph, they'll fall to pieces.

It's called design parameters.

1 like

crazy-legs wrote:

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Not withstand those sort of stresses, what stresses, the bike fell over for gods sakes! Basically punters see CF bikes as throw away objects and accept it as simply that that's the way it is, yet the BS descriptions given by manufacturers hide the fact that CF frames whilst of course have weaknesses should not simply be able to be cracked/broken by a low level impact as per the OP and indeed the above post, it's utterly ludicrous.

It's not at all [,] for the reasons that Canyon48 highlighted above. You clearly have zero idea of carbon or materials engineering. Have a look at this news article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafr...

Those wings can withstand tonnes of force, they can hold two massive engines, a load of fuel and hydraulics and electronics, they can support 300 tonnes of aircraft at 600mph, withstand temperature differences of over 100 degrees C, cope with in excess of 12G of force - but if you bump into a bit of brick with them at 15mph, they'll fall to pieces.

It's called design parameters.

edited, see below. Added the comma  3

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

Canyon48 replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

I assume you're an engineer with experience of carbon design, manufacture and testing then?

The shear stresses, to be precise. Top tubes are primarily designed to cope with compressive axial forces (and associated stresses), therefore composite tubes are layed up accordingly. As such, they perform very poorly in shear (which doesn't matter, unless you drop the frame). Assuming the composite obeys the standard Hart-Smith rule, as little as 8% of the laminates strength can be in the shear (90°) direction.

This, combined with the low matrix volume (to maximise youngs modulus and laminate efficiency), most likely caused laminate debonding due to the Inter-Laminar Shear Stresses, followed by fibre pull out; all of which caused the failure.

Rapha Nadal replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
4 likes

Canyon48 wrote:

I assume you're an engineer with experience of carbon design, manufacture and testing then?

The shear stresses, to be precise. Top tubes are primarily designed to cope with compressive axial forces (and associated stresses), therefore composite tubes are layed up accordingly. As such, they perform very poorly in shear (which doesn't matter, unless you drop the frame). Assuming the composite obeys the standard Hart-Smith rule, as little as 8% of the laminates strength can be in the shear (90°) direction.

This, combined with the low matrix volume (to maximise youngs modulus and laminate efficiency), most likely caused laminate debonding due to the Inter-Laminar Shear Stresses, followed by fibre pull out; all of which caused the failure.

Of course he is.  He knows more than anybody else, has done more than anybody else, and his current collection of old bikes is better than anything produced in these modern times.

Canyon48 replied to Rapha Nadal | 5 years ago
1 like

Rapha Nadal wrote:

Canyon48 wrote:

Of course he is.  He knows more than anybody else, has done more than anybody else, and his current collection of old bikes is better than anything produced in these modern times.

yes

alansmurphy replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
4 likes

Canyon48 wrote:

Just what i was about to say...

fukawitribe replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
3 likes

Basically punters see CF bikes as throw away objects and accept it as simply that that's the way it is

No, not really.

Stefan M | 5 years ago
2 likes

I managed to crack the top tube of my Wilier carbon frame 4 weeks after getting it (knocked it over sideways into a metal post). Entirely my own fault and as mentioned they are really not designed to withstand that sort of stress. I got it repaired for £130 (bare carbon frame so no paint needed and they did a fabulous job). 5 years on it is still going strong. 

crazy-legs | 5 years ago
4 likes

There's two things in this post really:

1) is it unreasonable for the frame to fail in the manner that it did
2) Canyon's customer service and the inability to supply a replaement frame

(1) we've pretty much dealt with - probably not unreasonable if somewhat upsetting

To understand (2) you have to go back about 2-3 years to when Canyon (and all other bike manufacturers) will have been planning for the 2018 season (and this is what annoys the hell out of me, the bike industry's ridiculous obsession with model years...) and working though things like ensuring all the moulds are there, the raw carbon is ordered, the component parts from groupset & wheel manufacturers were in place, colour schemes, expected order numbers across Europe, pricing, marketing...

Basically they'll have reached a number of frames / bikes expected to sell and ordered that many. It is not uncommon within the industry to find a spectacular cock-up somewhere along the line - you might have the best bike in the world right at that moment but if it's the wrong colour scheme, somewhere in a back office there'll be a brand manager crying into their laptop and a company losing hundreds of thousands of pounds. If a supplier says they can no longer sell you 10,000 pairs of [model X wheels] and you have to do a mid-season component change and all your brochures are suddenly out of date. If sales are better than expected then (just on the law of averages) some are going to be broken and some customers will want a replacement but you've got none left.

And no bike company is going to have hundreds of frames just lying around on the offchance that they might sell or be required for warranty, that's just money wasted! Numerous times I've seen frames / bikes from dozens of manufacturers simply no longer in stock. The challenge there is how you communicate that to the customer - you might offer a refund or an upgrade as a good-will gesture so if you've broken a CF SL, you might get a CF SLX (for example) but if you've broken a CF SLX frame and there's no more around, you're kind of stuffed.

Canyon UK are going off info from Canyon HQ who are probably going off info from their factories which in turn is being delayed by shipping companies, customs, demand elsewhere... I'm not particularly exonerating Canyon from all blame in whatever they've said but just explaining they're probably nearly as much in the dark as you are.

2 likes

crazy-legs wrote:

There's two things in this post really:

1) is it unreasonable for the frame to fail in the manner that it did
2) Canyon's customer service and the inability to supply a replaement frame

(1) we've pretty much dealt with - probably not unreasonable if somewhat upsetting

To understand (2) you have to go back about 2-3 years to when Canyon (and all other bike manufacturers) will have been planning for the 2018 season (and this is what annoys the hell out of me, the bike industry's ridiculous obsession with model years...) and working though things like ensuring all the moulds are there, the raw carbon is ordered, the component parts from groupset & wheel manufacturers were in place, colour schemes, expected order numbers across Europe, pricing, marketing...

Basically they'll have reached a number of frames / bikes expected to sell and ordered that many. It is not uncommon within the industry to find a spectacular cock-up somewhere along the line - you might have the best bike in the world right at that moment but if it's the wrong colour scheme, somewhere in a back office there'll be a brand manager crying into their laptop and a company losing hundreds of thousands of pounds. If a supplier says they can no longer sell you 10,000 pairs of [model X wheels] and you have to do a mid-season component change and all your brochures are suddenly out of date. If sales are better than expected then (just on the law of averages) some are going to be broken and some customers will want a replacement but you've got none left.

And no bike company is going to have hundreds of frames just lying around on the offchance that they might sell or be required for warranty, that's just money wasted! Numerous times I've seen frames / bikes from dozens of manufacturers simply no longer in stock. The challenge there is how you communicate that to the customer - you might offer a refund or an upgrade as a good-will gesture so if you've broken a CF SL, you might get a CF SLX (for example) but if you've broken a CF SLX frame and there's no more around, you're kind of stuffed.

Canyon UK are going off info from Canyon HQ who are probably going off info from their factories which in turn is being delayed by shipping companies, customs, demand elsewhere... I'm not particularly exonerating Canyon from all blame in whatever they've said but just explaining they're probably nearly as much in the dark as you are.

This is probably the best and most comprehensive answer.

1 like

@canyon48 - I have asked them to do the honorable thing with an amicable breakup so lets see how that goes. I just want my money back and to then buy a bike to do events on as opposed to £4k being sat in a warehouse.

I just want to ride........

Canyon48 replied to Pennersunited | 5 years ago
2 likes

Pennersunited wrote:

@canyon48 - I have asked them to do the honorable thing with an amicable breakup so lets see how that goes. I just want my money back and to then buy a bike to do events on as opposed to £4k being sat in a warehouse.

I just want to ride........

Yeah, sounds like the right thing to me. I would hope that Canyon would understand and refund you.

I assume you have your frame back? Lot of resale value in the aero cockpit and forks - the frame will sell too I imagine, to someone who can fix it.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Pennersunited wrote:

*****NEW UPDATE***** 12th June

I literally want to cry....

"has been chasing the issue with our German team for you, there has been a delay in getting the new frame-set on route to us. We are arranging the frame to ship as quickly as possible, this is likely however to take a additional two weeks. I understand this is frustrating, "

Really? Frustrating?

Blimey!

I am quite amazed to be perfectly honest. I have just noticed that they don't have any Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 Di2 framesets in stock, but do have the mechanical frameset in stock.

This might be where some other manufacturers actually surpass Canyon. Other manufacturers have warehouses in the UK full of all the frames and components required to build any of their bikes. It's quite impressive actually, they will literally provide a new frame to a shop with next day delivery!

Are you going to proceed with Canyon or take your chances elsewhere?

joeegg | 5 years ago
1 like

If you read the canyon manual that comes with the bike it even advises not to use a workstand clamp on the frame.

fukawitribe replied to joeegg | 5 years ago
2 likes

joeegg wrote:

If you read the canyon manual that comes with the bike it even advises not to use a workstand clamp on the frame.

That's pretty common advice, not just from manufacturers. Carbon frame tubes can be pretty robust in clamping situations..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDVpRSNtcPQ

..but it's easy to over-do it with the lever clamps.

madcarew replied to joeegg | 5 years ago
1 like

joeegg wrote:

That same piece of advice is true on lightweight steel frames too. In the 90's when I was a spanner monkey / wrenchwright in a Durham bike shop I put someone's columbus slx frame in a work stand, clamped on the seat tube and dented the seat tube. Customer not happy!!!

Pages

Latest Comments