Home

Did you know that 75% of cyclists are male? 

Cycling provides an opportunity to substitute the car for a healthier option. It doesn't require fuel, it contributes to an active healthy lifestyle, and saves reduces the huge air pollution problem in the UK.

I am trying to investigate why the gender imbalance exists in cycling in the UK, as in countries such as Germany and The Netherlands women cycle as much as men; furthermore, cycling is a popular mode of transport in these countries.

So what do you think are the main reasons behind this? Some contributing factors that have emerged in my research are;

Harrasment (verbal abuse, funny looks, sexual harrasment)
Lack of confidence
Fear of traffic
Not wanting to break a sweat / potentially mess your hair etc
Distance
Weather
Lack of cycle lanes
hills
Not knowing enough about bicycle maintence
Bikes are too expensive, not sure where to get a 2nd hand one

Would love to hear your views, please feel free to reply, the more detail the better!

Hopefully my research can contribute to achieving a gender parity in UK cycling!

Best wishes,

George
University of Manchester

66 comments

Simon E [3650 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

From the horse's mouth - "This is why I'm too scared to cycle in Bristol" by Bronwen Weatherby for Bristol Live.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/opinion-im-scared-cycle-...

Yorkshire wallet [2428 posts] 9 months ago
1 like
Simon E wrote:

From the horse's mouth - "This is why I'm too scared to cycle in Bristol" by Bronwen Weatherby for Bristol Live.

Good read, I'm still laughing 5 minutes later.

Very real danger persists for cyclists, particularly women

yes clearly based on what is simply anecdotal evidence such as the hilarous tale of a friend who was blasted in the face by an airhorn. These are dangers all women face.

As my friend and fellow reporter Grace Earl recalls having a young man blast an air horn in her face as she cycled home late from a meal with her boyfriend - it is clear women are deemed a target easier to mess with.

WHO KNOWS WHEN AIRHORN MAN MAY STRIKE AGAIN!?!

and then

But, the reality this, while more isn't being done to minimise the dangers, harassment and humiliation women cyclists can face day-to-day, those who do choose to cycle will have to go on enduring it, while so many women will choose not to bother.

Once again no evidenced commentary just what this drivelhead perceives. Doesn't cycle but writes article explaining why not based on no experience of actually doing it. Hmmm...

Is that even her real name? Sounds like something off Brasseye or The Day Today.

don simon fbpe [2945 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:
Simon E wrote:

Good read, I'm still laughing 5 minutes later.

Very real danger persists for cyclists, particularly women

yes clearly based on what is simply anecdotal evidence such as the hilarous tale of a friend who was blasted in the face by an airhorn. These are dangers all women face.

As my friend and fellow reporter Grace Earl recalls having a young man blast an air horn in her face as she cycled home late from a meal with her boyfriend - it is clear women are deemed a target easier to mess with.

WHO KNOWS WHEN AIRHORN MAN MAY STRIKE AGAIN!?!

and then

But, the reality this, while more isn't being done to minimise the dangers, harassment and humiliation women cyclists can face day-to-day, those who do choose to cycle will have to go on enduring it, while so many women will choose not to bother.

Once again no evidenced commentary just what this drivelhead perceives. Doesn't cycle but writes article explaining why not based on no experience of actually doing it. Hmmm...

Is that even her real name? Sounds like something off Brasseye or The Day Today.

I wonder what her log-in is.

Simon E [3650 posts] 9 months ago
1 like
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

It was an opinion piece about why she is afraid to cycle so by definition it's anecdotal.

But I don't understand why you think that feeling threatened in the street is so hilarious.

vonhelmet [1350 posts] 9 months ago
3 likes

No one’s ever blasted an air horn at me, but plenty of men try to scare me by driving past and shouting at me. It’s rarely intelligible, and most times it’s just a big grunty yell. So far no one has frightened me enough to even make me wobble, let alone fall off, which is presumably their hilarious intent. One van driver tried it when I was filtering past him in stationary traffic, but the surprise was rather spoiled by the fact that I’d seen him spot me in the wing mirror and then say something to his passenger and it hadn’t taken much to figure out his scheme.

Yorkshire wallet [2428 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

It was an opinion piece about why she is afraid to cycle so by definition it's anecdotal.

But I don't understand why you think that feeling threatened in the street is so hilarious.

Probably because it's filed under none of this happened and I had to think of something to write. Don't write, don't get paid. 

Sorry but I just find the mental image of someone getting randomly airhorned quite funny. Dom Jollyish.  

Seriously though if women were so afraid of men doing 'something' everything they went out they'd never go out. Men's actions/violence are usually direct towards other men. I've had my wife mouthing off over supermarket parking at some bloke  who would could have snapped me in half, safe in the knowledge he's not going to do shit to her. Told her to leave that sort of stuff out as it would have been me getting the pasting if he'd turned thug. If he'd agree to cycling a mile up a 15% hill before we set to it I'd maybe have a chance but as a male I think you've got to pick your battles more carefully than women. 

Pages