Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why women don't cycle?

Did you know that 75% of cyclists are male? 

Cycling provides an opportunity to substitute the car for a healthier option. It doesn't require fuel, it contributes to an active healthy lifestyle, and saves reduces the huge air pollution problem in the UK.

I am trying to investigate why the gender imbalance exists in cycling in the UK, as in countries such as Germany and The Netherlands women cycle as much as men; furthermore, cycling is a popular mode of transport in these countries.

So what do you think are the main reasons behind this? Some contributing factors that have emerged in my research are;

Harrasment (verbal abuse, funny looks, sexual harrasment)
Lack of confidence
Fear of traffic
Not wanting to break a sweat / potentially mess your hair etc
Distance
Weather
Lack of cycle lanes
hills
Not knowing enough about bicycle maintence
Bikes are too expensive, not sure where to get a 2nd hand one

Would love to hear your views, please feel free to reply, the more detail the better!

Hopefully my research can contribute to achieving a gender parity in UK cycling!

Best wishes,

George
University of Manchester

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

66 comments

srchar replied to HowardR | 5 years ago
4 likes

HowardR wrote:

I'd be intrested to know the mean/meadian/modal commuting distances of commuters in the U.K compared to more sensible places .... possibly a function of housing costs?

This bears further investigation.

Drinfinity replied to srchar | 5 years ago
4 likes

srchar wrote:

HowardR wrote:

I'd be intrested to know the mean/meadian/modal commuting distances of commuters in the U.K compared to more sensible places .... possibly a function of housing costs?

This bears further investigation.

And graphs. We want graphs. 

Awavey replied to HowardR | 5 years ago
3 likes

HowardR wrote:

Hi ManchesterRider,

Firtsly - thirded on the infrastructure.

The following stream of conciousness guff is largely based on what I see whlist walking through inner London. I make no claims to it being generally applicable...

First an observation - when cycling is used as a mode of transport  it is, as I understand it, often much more 'Sport' orientated than it is in countries such as the Netherlands. Lycra, Helmet & Chain Gang of fellow commuters seems to be the norm for many people.

but thats down to the environment weve created on the roads for cycling, you cant just pootle about on a bike on most urban roads, as it would become intolerably stressful coming into conflict with other traffic all the time, so you feel you have to ride in "sporty" mode to make it reasonably comfortable, to feel you have some control of the space around you, so our roads ultimately attract sportier cyclists. Build the infra and cliche yes but the modal change will really come naturally.

srchar | 5 years ago
10 likes

The main difference between cycling in Germany/Netherlands and the UK is the quality of cycling infrastructure. That's really all it boils down to.

hawkinspeter replied to srchar | 5 years ago
2 likes

srchar wrote:

The main difference between cycling in Germany/Netherlands and the UK is the quality of cycling infrastructure. That's really all it boils down to.

Seconded.

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

srchar wrote:

Seconded.

And thirded.

Long version:

You only have to look back through the news on road.cc about commuting, the close passes videos. Better still, read what the cycling advocate orgs and individuals have been saying for years - Cycling UK, Carlton Reid of Bikebiz, Chris Boardman, West Midlands RPU and many more.

The one thing you'll repeatedly see is the need for safe cycling infrastructure because many people want to cycle more but are scared of riding in traffic. It's not about "sharing the road", "mutual respect" and all that bollocks. They just want to feel safe and for cycling to be convenient - not having to negotiate a long, convoluted route around some winding back streets (where aggressive drivers can still drive at them or force them too close to parked cars), through a narrow gateway, dismounting over a footbridge etc etc....

I'm not a woman so can't say much about gender-specific issues but, based on what I've heard, I can imagine there's an additional level of vulnerability being female on a bike.

Bikes aren't expensive; yes the ones promoted by cycling magazines are expensive (along with the impression of needing 'all the gear') but compared to a smartphone, tablet or whatever, normal bikes aren't. And certainly not when compared to the cost of running a car, motorbike or scooter. But most brands don't sell them as practical transport.

Pages

Latest Comments