Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Broken collarbone - healing slowly

Broke my collarbone quite badly 8 weeks ago coming off at speed, so I had a fixing plate put in but soonest they could do was 13 days later (a painful wait). Now at 6 weeks after the operation the xray showed no sign of the bones joining up again (yet). So I have to wait and see in another 6 weeks time. Turbo training attractions are starting to fade....

I'm in my 50's if that relevant.

Grateful to hear has anybody any experience of their clavicle bones taking a long long time to reunite or even not at all (in which case what can you do?).

BTW, helmet written off but did its job. Dread to think if it hadnt been on.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Rod Marton | 5 years ago
0 likes

Having broken three collarbones (OK, one twice) all I can say was that healing time is very variable, and depends very much on how it was broken. If you had a plate put in your break was probably worse than any of mine. Shortest time off the bike for me was three weeks, longest eight (and that was against medical advice: I was just fed up with not being allowed to ride). So, extrapolating, 12 weeks probably isn't unreasonable as a minimum for your break and I think you will just have to wait a bit longer.

Having said that, I always find medical recommendations rather conservative on estimated healing times. I'm sure they have to be to cover themselves, and remember that hospitals spend most of their time dealing with ill people rather than fit cyclists. So although I wouldn't recommend going against medical advice, fundamentally you have you make your own judgement about when you feel you are ready.

bah17 replied to Rod Marton | 5 years ago
0 likes

Rod Marton wrote:

Having broken three collarbones (OK, one twice) all I can say was that healing time is very variable, and depends very much on how it was broken. If you had a plate put in your break was probably worse than any of mine. Shortest time off the bike for me was three weeks, longest eight (and that was against medical advice: I was just fed up with not being allowed to ride). So, extrapolating, 12 weeks probably isn't unreasonable as a minimum for your break and I think you will just have to wait a bit longer.

Having said that, I always find medical recommendations rather conservative on estimated healing times. I'm sure they have to be to cover themselves, and remember that hospitals spend most of their time dealing with ill people rather than fit cyclists. So although I wouldn't recommend going against medical advice, fundamentally you have you make your own judgement about when you feel you are ready.

Thanks Rod - I've got the same impression that the doctors (never the same one twice) I've seen are all erring on the conservative side and definitely dont run/ride themselves. Its a bit tricky to go against their advice particularly as my wife's medical and is also urging patience.

Vejnemojnen | 5 years ago
0 likes

are the fractured ends placed in proximity with each other? They should not touch, a tiny gap should be more than enough. Why aren't they used an elastic nail put inside the drilled bone? That method has a very rapid recovery time. I was cycling 1.5 weeks after my clavicular fracture.

I'd ask the operator, surgeon what could be the cause of it..

bah17 replied to Vejnemojnen | 5 years ago
0 likes

Vejnemojnen wrote:

are the fractured ends placed in proximity with each other? They should not touch, a tiny gap should be more than enough. Why aren't they used an elastic nail put inside the drilled bone? That method has a very rapid recovery time. I was cycling 1.5 weeks after my clavicular fracture.

I'd ask the operator, surgeon what could be the cause of it..

Thanks - the ends were aligned but I dont think the gap was "tiny". I'm not sure the NHS where I live has heard of elasic nails. Will be sure to ask next time I am the hospital.

Pages

Latest Comments