Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling Kit Storage

Hey guys,

I'm an avid cyclist myself and I'm creating a product for cyclists to store their kit. I have produced a short survey to help me gather some information, If you could complete it I would be very grateful!

https://goo.gl/forms/TTlpRClFOCkKPt1l1

Cheers,
Ben

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

nniff | 5 years ago
0 likes

In the spirit of good will, I've answered the questionnaire but I suspect that the answers won't be a whole lot of help.

Page 1:01 of this sort of stuff says don't design a product in search of a problem.  Find a problem, then design a solution.  I put it to you that the average tin locker that passes as a 'cycling facility' is utterly shite and in need of a decent answer, although heated lockers do go a long way towards it.

nniff | 5 years ago
2 likes

Just so - actually trying to be helpful.  'Kit' reasonably includes, for example, shoes and jerseys.  Shoes live in the boiler cupboard on top of the boiler, where they dry and do not stink.  Jerseys live in an open box in a wardrobe (once they have been washed).  The only time the two will be found in the same container is when they get bunged into a bike box to go off on their travels.  I have no idea what a 'desirable' strorage solution (or whatever the wording was) might be.  

If I might make a suggestion - how about a storage thingy for offices for cycle commuters - that would include heating/drying, rails, hooks, shelves for things and hooks for others - I could make sense out of that because it bounds the amount of 'kit' that is likely to be involved and the time for which it needs to be stored.  Equally, drying could be a key element (wet clothing and towels), as would a change from non-creasing stuff (cycling clothing) in the day to creasing stuff needing hangers at night (suits).  Add in a humidity sensor to determine when the heating needs to be on or off and you might have a product.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

mine goes wherever I feel like leaving it though I have a spare bedroom (okay two) for most of my bikes and spare wheels/other larger components/frames, did I mention wheels! Have a large shelving system in the utility room for spares/maintenance/cleaning stuff and the spare tool box (for tools not used much) plus a big 4 drawer chest full of components and various cycle related crap, oh and the old metal filing cabinet for smaller stuff (in the downstairs loo, doesn't everyone!) Main toolbox sits in the dining room usually open on top of a chest with various bits strewn everywhere.

Clothing simply goes into the walk in wardrobe and shoes tend to stay in the cupboard by the hallway along with gloves and waterproof spare pannier bags.

If I have a quick tidy you'd hardly notice I was addicted to bikes/cycling  

simonmb replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
2 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

mine goes wherever I feel like leaving it though I have a spare bedroom (okay two) for most of my bikes and spare wheels/other larger components/frames, did I mention wheels! Have a large shelving system in the utility room for spares/maintenance/cleaning stuff and the spare tool box (for tools not used much) plus a big 4 drawer chest full of components and various cycle related crap, oh and the old metal filing cabinet for smaller stuff (in the downstairs loo, doesn't everyone!) Main toolbox sits in the dining room usually open on top of a chest with various bits strewn everywhere.

Clothing simply goes into the walk in wardrobe and shoes tend to stay in the cupboard by the hallway along with gloves and waterproof spare pannier bags.

The kid asked for a bit of help with a school / uni project, and you managed to make it all about yourself. Why?

Start your own thread "Where I Store My Bike Equipment".

OP - I completed the questionnaire. Good luck. Not everyone around here is a self-obsessed tosser.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
1 like

simonmb wrote:

The kid asked for a bit of help with a school / uni project, and you managed to make it all about yourself. Why?

OP - I completed the questionnaire. Good luck. Not everyone around here is a self-obsessed tosser.

I answered the questions and stated what I do, far from it about being about me I related my own story, afterall this is a discussion forum about how we do things/how we think about things, how some people (note SOME) don't desire nor need a 'system' for storage of our accessories/parts/clothing (which was in itself ambiguous and pointed out above as to what they actually mean by that.

Maybe you don't want people to relate their own story, how they do things but then that would stifle discussion, it stifles debate and it stifles ideas. Mine and others situations in fact fall into why the question was asked relating to house size and age, different age groups have different needs and often older age groups tend to have more space so a 'system' for storage is not required nor would one be interested.

That information is important, if you can't grasp why this is important as to whom you are aiming any potential product at, who your market is, why people would and would not require a system then that falls on idiots like you.

Knob off loser.

4 likes

...falls on idiots like you.

Knob off loser.

Oh, you were being so eloquent and then you had to ruin it all.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
5 likes

simonmb wrote:

...falls on idiots like you.

Knob off loser.

Oh, you were being so eloquent and then you had to ruin it all.

You had a pop at me for no reason whatsoever, fuck off troll.

0 likes

Troll? I've been on here since 2008 trying to add thoughtful comment to debates through my 600 posts rather than preaching self-absorbed gospel through more than 2,000 posts. 

I'm just saying, give the kid his moment rather than hijacking it.

Mungecrundle replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
3 likes

simonmb wrote:

Troll? I've been on here since 2008 trying to add thoughtful comment to debates through my 600 posts rather than preaching self-absorbed gospel through more than 2,000 posts. 

Personally I found BTBS posting a fascinating insight into the domestic arrangements of someone who really, really enjoys bicycles. And just how understanding or long suffering Mrs Bikeshed must be.

Storage system for me is a couple of wire mesh lockers retrieved from the skip at work. Perfect in the garage as they provide vertical storage so don't take up a lot of floor space, I can easily see where I stuffed my crap and the air can flow through so damp stuff doesn't go mouldy.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

simonmb wrote:

Personally I found BTBS posting a fascinating insight into the domestic arrangements of someone who really, really enjoys bicycles. And just how understanding or long suffering Mrs Bikeshed must be.

Storage system for me is a couple of wire mesh lockers retrieved from the skip at work. Perfect in the garage as they provide vertical storage so don't take up a lot of floor space, I can easily see where I stuffed my crap and the air can flow through so damp stuff doesn't go mouldy.

I agree too. If you can't post some details of your storage on a forum post titled "Cycling Kit Storage", then I don't know where you can. Ben can easily ignore the comments if he wishes and use the completed questionnaires for his data.

I tend to scatter different bits in different places. My current kit is put up to dry on stair bannisters (quick retrieval in the morning), my helmets and gloves live outside by my bike, shoes go under the stairs and other clothing goes into a wardrobe.

Beecho replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
7 likes

simonmb wrote:

Unfair comment, whether you have a previous problem with BTBS or not. I read that as a joyous post. A celebration of what most of us here suffer from, to various degrees.

Beecho | 5 years ago
6 likes

Done. Does this help? (And I’m expecting abuse for this - half [OK, a quarter*] is the wife’s).

*probably an 8th

nniff | 5 years ago
1 like

Not wishing to rain on your parade, but could you be a little clearer about what you means by kit, equipment etc.

For example, in my household, tools etc live in one place next to the bikes as do lights; spare bits in another place, shoes in another, helmets, gloves, overshoes, waterproofs and windproofs in another,  winter clothing in another and summer in another, - you get the idea.  The principle (if there is one) is to get dressed in one place and head towards the bike, gathering the necessary as you go.  

Bottles and food bits live somewhere else again.

Not quite sure what problem you are trying to solve.

Tjuice replied to nniff | 5 years ago
0 likes

nniff wrote:

Not wishing to rain on your parade, but could you be a little clearer about what you means by kit, equipment etc.

For example, in my household, tools etc live in one place next to the bikes as do lights; spare bits in another place, shoes in another, helmets, gloves, overshoes, waterproofs and windproofs in another,  winter clothing in another and summer in another, - you get the idea.  The principle (if there is one) is to get dressed in one place and head towards the bike, gathering the necessary as you go.  

Absolutely this.  I went over to your questionnaire and then found I could not work out how to answer because different bits of kit live in different places.  Each of these categories for me would be put in a different location, depending on where I would first want to interact with the item.

• Clothes/chamois creme
  • Nutrition/bidons
  • Bike spares/maintenance stuff/tools
  • Final grab items (shoes, overshoes, helmet, glasses, gloves, computer)
  • Bike

As it happens, with each of these, I have found a basic, but highly effective solution (often no more sophisticated than a cardboard box on a shelf).

Happy to complete the questionnaire if you tell me which of the above storage categories you are referring to (or give me the ability to add this additional colour).

But nniff's question is key: what is the problem you are trying to solve?  And why are the existing solutions flawed?

don simon fbpe replied to Tjuice | 5 years ago
1 like
Tjuice wrote:

nniff wrote:

Absolutely this.  I went over to your questionnaire and then found I could not work out how to answer because different bits of kit live in different places.  Each of these categories for me would be put in a different location, depending on where I would first want to interact with the item.

• Clothes/chamois creme
  • Nutrition/bidons
  • Bike spares/maintenance stuff/tools
  • Final grab items (shoes, overshoes, helmet, glasses, gloves, computer)
  • Bike

As it happens, with each of these, I have found a basic, but highly effective solution (often no more sophisticated than a cardboard box on a shelf).

Happy to complete the questionnaire if you tell me which of the above storage categories you are referring to (or give me the ability to add this additional colour).

But nniff's question is key: what is the problem you are trying to solve?  And why are the existing solutions flawed?

Are you seriously stumped by the questions? Lol.
Edit: post up the really, really, really difficult question and I'll see if I can give you a hand.

fukawitribe replied to don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
1 like

don simon wrote:

] Are you seriously stumped by the questions? Lol. Edit: post up the really, really, really difficult question and I'll see if I can give you a hand.

Sounds to me that TJuice and nnif are just saying the answers aren't sufficient to be able to complete the question properly - they both discuss a number of differing cycling 'things' and where they might variously be stored, but the answers are in terms of a singular location for all the 'kit'. The questions aren't difficult - they've not said they are either - they are just not answerable, in general, given the choices.

don simon fbpe replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

don simon wrote:

] Are you seriously stumped by the questions? Lol. Edit: post up the really, really, really difficult question and I'll see if I can give you a hand.

Sounds to me that TJuice and nnif are just saying the answers aren't sufficient to be able to complete the question properly - they both discuss a number of differing cycling 'things' and where they might variously be stored, but the answers are in terms of a singular location for all the 'kit'. The questions aren't difficult - they've not said they are either - they are just not answerable, in general, given the choices.

I imagine the point marked "other" is the place for this to go and the OP can then pick the bones out themself, giving the lad a hard time about it, isn't positive.

0 likes

don simon wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

don simon wrote:

I imagine the point marked "other" is the place for this to go and the OP can then pick the bones out themself, giving the lad a hard time about it, isn't positive.

I mostly agree, although it still might have been better to rephrase the questions or answers or the questionnaire starts to lose cohesion and been more work to analyse. I also didn't think they were giving the OP a much of a hard time. I was mainly reacting to your apparent lack of understanding (really ?) of what they were getting at, wee bit snarky I thought - was that because you felt they'd been unhelpful ?

don simon fbpe replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

don simon wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

don simon wrote:

I mostly agree, although it still might have been better to rephrase the questions or answers or the questionnaire starts to lose cohesion and been more work to analyse. I also didn't think they were giving the OP a much of a hard time. I was mainly reacting to your apparent lack of understanding (really ?) of what they were getting at, wee bit snarky I thought - was that because you felt they'd been unhelpful ?

You should be used to my form of questioning by now. Yes, I think that they'd been unhelpful, it'll be up to the OP to work out from the answers that are received and discussion with their teacher rather than internet experts to determine how effective the questionnaire is. As a teacher I certainly wouldn't help the lad in the manner that the help came across as I see it as folks over analysing and a touch of smartarsery trying to pick holes that weren't necessarily there.

This is detracting from the purpose of the  post.

Those that haven't, get the bloody thing filled in, it only takes a couple of minutes (unless you want to provide detailed drawings of your current, elaborate kit storage system).

0 likes

don simon wrote:

You should be used to my form of questioning by now. 

Oh indeed, you're just a bit more cranky at the moment    4

don simon wrote:

This is detracting from the purpose of the  post.

Those that haven't, get the bloody thing filled in, it only takes a couple of minutes (unless you want to provide detailed drawings of your current, elaborate kit storage system).

Good point.

Pitbull Steelers | 5 years ago
0 likes

Done.

One point, in your final question, we should be able to choose multiple answers rather than just the one as i look for functionality as well as ease of access. 

Good luck though in your exam. 

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Couple of minutes and done.
Questions could do with being less leading.
Containers don't have to be messy, for example. I'd also put a few more details of who you are and why your first post is market research.

benfeatherstone replied to don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

Couple of minutes and done. Questions could do with being less leading. Containers don't have to be messy, for example.

will change that now Don, thanks for the feedback, would love if you could help spread the questionnaire!

Ben

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

Sorry, but that questionnaire is just too boring to fill out.

Why don't you post a picture of your solution and we can give some feedback?

benfeatherstone replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

This is for my final exam project, I have to gather information of my target audience so that I'm able to create an appropriate product, the survey only takes 5 mins and helps me out a ton! 

cheers.

hawkinspeter replied to benfeatherstone | 5 years ago
0 likes

benfeatherstone wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

This is for my final exam project, I have to gather information of my target audience so that I'm able to create an appropriate product, the survey only takes 5 mins and helps me out a ton! 

cheers.

Sorry, I thought you were a marketeer for a company. I've filled in your questionnaire now (only took a minute).

Latest Comments