Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Ads help us run this site

Anyone else getting the pop-up about road.cc being funded by advertising on EVERY EFFING SINGLE PAGE REFRESH?

Whether logged in or not, clicking on the "continue to site " only makes it go away only until clicking on a link.

If the pop-up doesn't stop there will be less page clicking on the site and less advertising revenue.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

davman | 5 years ago
0 likes

I view this website on a windows 10 desktop using Firefox Quantum (v62)

I have to click to accept this everytime if i want to view what's on the page. I can understand doing it once, but to even do it before logging in to make this comment is a bit much.

Have added the website into the cookies i keep and even turned off private browsing, but can't get rid of that ad.

Getting to the point now where i may stop visiting, which is a shame as i've used it for a long time and think it's generally good. But there are other similar websites where i don't have to do this.

The majority of your users may be viewing your website on a 'mobile' device, but not everyone is, so can you please fix it for us as well

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yay! No more GDPR ads pop-up. Thanks guys.

Eton Rifle | 5 years ago
1 like

Come on, chaps.  Get your shit in a sock.  The site's been knackered on mobile for weeks now.  Comments won't load on mobile version.  Switch to desktop and comments load but you get the cookie warning on every page refresh.  Really annoying. Running chrome on Android. 

jacknorell | 5 years ago
1 like

Classic site works faster and better on mobile. The new mobile version was a downgrade for ux...

The smartphone switch button is terrible, doesn't require a tap, just swiping over it activates the switch.

Popup still on every page, and it's been worked on for a long time and you said it'd switched off if not fixed. Turn it off already. ..

Tony Farrelly replied to jacknorell | 5 years ago
0 likes

jacknorell wrote:

Classic site works faster and better on mobile. The new mobile version was a downgrade for ux... The smartphone switch button is terrible, doesn't require a tap, just swiping over it activates the switch. Popup still on every page, and it's been worked on for a long time and you said it'd switched off if not fixed. Turn it off already. ..

The popup on the classic version has been switched off since first thing this morning. If you're still getting it you probably need to flush your browser cache. It stopped on my phone as soon as they turned it off. 

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
1 like

@Tony Farelly - any update on this?

Desktop on mobile browser - still get the ads popup on every page refresh

Classic mobile site on smartphone - ditto

New mobile site on smartphone - can't read or add comments

Both versions of moble site the "switch to" sidebar gets in the way

Another PITA for me, though not in your control, is that someone has registered cdn.road.cc domain as "sports/recreation" with Symantec Blue Coat Web Filter  (but the main site is unclassified), and our company admins have seen fit to block access to sports sites, so I get a load of broken images.

Any chance you can rename your content delivery network (CDN) subdomain to something else?   3   

Tony Farrelly replied to CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

@Tony Farelly - any update on this?

Desktop on mobile browser - still get the ads popup on every page refresh

Classic mobile site on smartphone - ditto

New mobile site on smartphone - can't read or add comments

Both versions of moble site the "switch to" sidebar gets in the way

Another PITA for me, though not in your control, is that someone has registered cdn.road.cc domain as "sports/recreation" with Symantec Blue Coat Web Filter  (but the main site is unclassified), and our company admins have seen fit to block access to sports sites, so I get a load of broken images.

Any chance you can rename your content delivery network (CDN) subdomain to something else?   3   

That last bit's worth knowing cos we're going to be switching CDN in the near future. 

Adding/reading comments on the smartphone site - Marfeel who operate the smartphone site are  working on a fix (and to be fair have been for a while) and they've got me breathing down their neck on that.  

Classic site GDPR popup - I've lost patience on that one so until it's demonstrably fixed that will be getting turned off. The reason you get the same when viewing the desktop site on a mobile is that it's the same popup on desktop and the classic version of the site (which are the same thing) and it would seem to be a platform related bug. 

Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
1 like

Yes, it's a PITA - it's the desktop GDPR popup on the classic version of the site. The smartphone version uses a different popup and that works as it should.

The desktop version works fine on desktop but not on mobile for some reason. It's a PITA - we're working on a fix and if it isn't sorted soon we'll ask for it to be turned off until it is. Problem for us is the ad networks effectively insist on us having the popups because ad revenue drops sharply as soon as you turn the buggers off. Unfortunately though most of them seem to have some sort of issue either in the way they work or the effect they have on other bits of the site - and this isn't just for us.

check12 | 5 years ago
1 like

Ads help run this site will not close and is on every page for me, very annoying. 

IPhone 5s safari 

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Getting both - can't get rid of the 'Ads help us run this site' banner - "Continue to site" button doesn't work for me, nor does the one on the "Learn More" page which makes the site currently pretty much unusable on mobile here. Chrome 68.0.3440.70 / Android 7.1.1

atgni | 5 years ago
2 likes

Smartphone button placement and 'Ads help...' are making mobile veiwing most irritating.

bob_c | 5 years ago
3 likes

Same here on Chrome mobile, along with the annoyingly-placed "Smartphone" button that I desperately try to avoid pressing (it seems to break everything)

dave atkinson | 5 years ago
1 like

Quote:

Whether logged in or not, clicking on the "continue to site " only makes it go away only until clicking on a link.

is this on mobile? there does seem to be an issue with it on android/chrome at the moment. working on a fix.

bikercub replied to dave atkinson | 5 years ago
1 like

dave atkinson wrote:

Quote:

is this on mobile? there does seem to be an issue with it on android/chrome at the moment. working on a fix.

Yes Dave, on mobile using safari browser on iPhone, I've not tried it on other platforms or browsers. We all know that websites embed cookies these days, so surely after the 1st visit the repeating message could be disabled.

I also agree with others that I'm more likely to purchase goods because of a good review on the site than an advert. Obtrusive advertising, particularly on a mobile platfom tends to make me avoid the site. 

CygnusX1 replied to dave atkinson | 5 years ago
0 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

Quote:

Yes - Problem is on  android / chrome canary for me - whether on desktop site (request desktop option in browser) or mobile site in either "Classic" or "New" modes. 

I don't get the issue on the desktop using a Wintel PC and Chrome browser. 

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
1 like

The problem with the "ads help us run the site"  and killing the site with ads is being able to know whether the kit that has been bought is a result of the ads or not. I seldom click through an ad. But in the recent past I have bought 2x Vulpine Harrington jackets, 1x pair Levis commuter jeans, 1x pair Giro jeans, 1x pair Velocity trousers, 2x pairs 3/4 bibs, 3x jerseys, 1x Niterider Lumina 1100, 1x pair Gearne GoreTex winter boots, 1x GP4000, 1x Castelli rain jacket and various other bits and pieces for the upkeep of the bikes. Mostly as a result of reviews in this place and not adverts.

I run ad blocker. Obtrusive ads switch me off a site.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yes. It’s really getting on my nerves.

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
1 like

Yes. 

mjc2669 | 5 years ago
7 likes

Yes... And I hate the floating 'Smartphone' button on mobile... The smartphone view that still struggles to load comments...

Latest Comments