Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Grail 2019

Canyon have updated their Grail range already but across the range the bikes are all 200g heavier. I can't seem to work out why. What am I missing?

I'm comparing between old & new 105 and Ultegra models. Sram is new for 2019. All the spec looks the same with the exception of tan walled Schwalbes. Have they changed the frame, or even their famed 'hover bar'?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

Gravel Garry replied to Gravelx21 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Gravelx21 wrote:

Grayl wrote:

It also has 140mm disc rotors instead of 160mm and a 52/36 crank instead of 50/34.

I was a little confused when I received the bike with a 52/36 as every website spec states 50/34... not as versatile for the type of riding really. Enquired with Canyon and they say it’s an error on the website apparently.

I was surprised (and not happy) when my XS Grail arrived with a 52/36. I complained to Canyon and they sent me a 50/34 replacement for free.

longassballs | 5 years ago
0 likes

Aw shit... I neglected to check availability. I thought your delivery date might have been because you were in the US or something. I really wanted one soon.

Yeah I don't see myself bike packing either. Lack of 650b support (at least officially?) and mtb tyres sort of prevents the Grail from a go anywhere bike anyway I think - especially with clearance reduced with mudguards. Neither was I planning anything quite as exotic as S. America but some canal towpaths I have vowed never to go on again unless on mtb tyres.

Apart from that I think I kinda had the same idea for this bike as you; stick some road tyres / change wheels and use the grail as a winter road bike. That's where the mudguards come in plus going off road and coming back with an almost clean bike is great.

Talking of which had a couple of further replies from Canyon. About mudguards: "There will be fenders for the Grail, we are currently awaiting confirmation on the date they will be available. We are expecting to release the Canyon Grail specific mudguards this Autumn."

I questioned them further about the bars and they didn't know about any change but unprompted said they would get back to me, credit to them they did: "It's been re-engineered slightly so that it now comes with a STI clamp which can accept, SRAM, Shimano, and Campagnolo lever. The cockpit is also 20grams lighter than the original and is 10% more compliant for increased comfort when riding. The ergonomics of the dropped bar position has also been optimised to lessen the rear to the brake lever, as well as reducing pressure on your thumbs."

So the new bar is actually lighter!

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
1 like

I was told by canyon uk the grail doesn't have mudguard mounts...so it sort of has them? Though missing a temp bridge at the mo?

EDIT: Actually no, it was the new inflite I was thinking of! They've taken the mounts that were previously on that...off.

brettoau | 5 years ago
1 like

That answer from Canyon doesn't explain why the 2019 SL 8.0 is now heavier than the SL 8.0 Di2, given the Di2 groupset is heavier than the mechanical.

- SL 8.0 8.4kg to 8.7kg

- SL 8.0 Di2 8.54kg to 8.6kg

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/tools/bike-comparison/#biketype=1&bike1=448...

My reason for buying is basically I have an old heavy dually MTB and a very aggressive aero road bike setup for crit racing. I'm going to Sth America at the end of the year for 5 weeks and will be riding a mix of paved and unpaved roads up in the mountains. I figure I can take just this bike and and some extra road tyres (not sure if 28mm or 32mm would be best?) and switch as necessary depending on whats planned for the day. After that I will use it for commutes and some weekend rides, don't see myself doing the whole bikepacking thing anytime soon. So the small foldable clip in mudguard will do me.

I'm also interested to see if the additional hand positions available and top flex area help reduce issues with pins and needles/numbness in my hands as an after effect of chemo I get when riding my other bikes.

The expected delivery date is near the end of November so no review any time soon!

0 likes

Ha.. This is the answer I received from Canyon "Apologies if there is any confusion, there has been no change at all to the cockpit it is the same as what was spec'd on the 2018 model. The weight increase has come from A) The clutch derailleur B) Heavier tyres." The correct answer obviously depends who you speak to. I could be described as paranoid but I find it curious that considering the amount of press the launch received there has been nothing about the 2019 updates.

Congrats on ordering the bike! I have been mulling over pushing the button for a few days after hunting for over a year for a gravel bike since my cross bike was destroyed by a car... I've gotten over the bar and lack of tyre clearance compared to something like the Open Up with the mudguard mounts being a big selling point for me, so I asked about the Grail specific mudguards that still aren't for sale. "As of yet we have no news of the specific fender set, personally I find the SKS clip on guards to be more than secure enough."

That's not really good enough for me. Why would I buy a bike with mounts only to use clip-ons? I don't know any other mudguards that will fit securely because of the Gail's lack of a brake bridge either.

The new Giant Repulse is on my mind now but the Grail price is so attractive. I have a friend who lives near the Canyon Factory in Koblenz so am thinking about a test ride but that won't happen for a few months. Would love to hear from you about how the bike rides and if you attempt any mudguards

Grayl | 5 years ago
1 like

The top of the range SLX 8.0 Di2 version appears to be 300g heavier than its 2018 equivalent. In the Di2 version the RX derailleur is 31g heavier than non-RX. As the previous poster said, the CP07 cockpit may be heavier than CP01 but Canyon doesn't provide any info on that. Another couple of small differences for the top of the range model are: Aliante R5 saddle in 2019 v Aliante R3 in 2018. I can't find any info on weight difference. Fizik don't even acknowledge the existence of the R5 on their website. Maybe it is for OEM use only. Different model number for the casette but unlikely to be any significant weight difference. Those tan tyre walls must be very heavy  3

brettoau | 5 years ago
1 like

I just ordered a 2019 GRAIL CF SL 8.0 - https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/grail/grail-cf-sl-8-0.html

I sent Canyon support a question about the new CP07 cockpit as the integrated garmin mount does not list it as being supported, this is what they replied with - "The new Grail cockpit will run the same Garmin mount as the old one. The new CP07 has slightly more compliance than the old CP01 cockpit found on the 1st generation Grail we understand."

One thing I noticed is the 2019 CF SL 8.0 now comes with the leaf spring seatpost rather than the regular one. Not sure what else contributes to the extra 300grams (other than the RX derailleur).

0 likes

Looking closer the famous bar is now a "CP07 COCKPIT CF" rather than "CP01 COCKPIT CF". I wonder what's changed?

Also the Ultegra models have the new RX derailleur but that's only  38g heavier than the normal one,

Pages

Latest Comments