Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Merlin Cycles a positive experience.

Absolutely brilliant after sales service. No excuses, no bullshit, just great to deal with.

We're quick enough to highlight poor service, so I'm bigging up the guys at Merlin.
Who do you rate positively and why?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

nickW1 | 3 years ago
0 likes

sad to say i have found through trial and errot that I get all my bits and odds from mantel a dutch site, even had stuff arrive the next day decent price and a good range 

artm | 3 years ago
0 likes

Used to do quite a lot of business with Ribble until they became more interested in selling bikes instead of parts. Have used Merlin a bunch of times with no problems and good shipping (free to Canada with $100 CAD purchase) and so far shipments of around $100. haven't attracted sales tax or duty.

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
1 like

Merlin is fairly local to me. They've always been fine either mail order or when I've been in store. I haven't had a problem with any of them, the odd warranty issue I have had whether it be Merlin, Planet X, Rutland Cycling, Hunt, Evans, Wiggle, CRC.... They've all sorted it. I think if you order mail order then you have to accept that any issues might take longer to sort out than being able to walk in store, and sometimes words on emails get misunderstood or don't come across as intended.

Doesn't mean you should get shonky or absent after sales service with mail order, but when you've just saved who knows how much off list price then sometimes you have to be more patient or suck up having to return an item in its entirety.

srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Recently had to return a faulty Pinarello frame - and its replacement, which was also faulty - to Chain Reaction Cycles. They were absolutely woeful, beyond even my worst expectations, on both occasions, to the point where I don't use them anymore.

This was Pre Covid.

And Wiggle now use Hermes, so I don't use them either. Sigma Sports get most of my business now.

steaders | 3 years ago
0 likes

Merlin Cycles - Buyer Beware - 4 week wait for a "not as described" bike to arrive and now they won't fix it unless it's returned. It's being used every day and it's only a 10 minute job to sort but they won't send me the cassette to do it.I have to send the wheel back which will be gone for ages. 
Pants attitude - should have been correct spec in the first place, I have receipt saying it was checked, twice, must have been by a Stevie Wonder and his assistant? Not happy. won't use again or recommend them. If you look there are similar reviews on Trustpilot so there is a common problem & they don't seem to care & or want to address issues in the most efficent way possible, just mess the customer around. Additionally, if you leave an honest review on Trustpilot they complain and try and have them removed!!!

Run BMC | 4 years ago
1 like

Never really had a bad experience with any of the main online stores I've used tbh.  Wiggle used to be my 'go to' store, but their level of customer service has slipped over the last couple of years in my opinion.  I can highly recommend Tredz for all round customer service and competive pricing though - probably the pick of the bunch at the moment.

gunswick replied to Run BMC | 3 years ago
0 likes

Amen, wiggle have become terrible the last 2 years. Like you they were my go-to store, now I avoid them generally. Their collect+ free returns, good pricing, good customer service has evaporated. Now you have to go to Asda for free returns which is a pain, and their pricing is high now instead of market leading. Unhelpful with a warranty issue I had last year, and very slow too.

Cycle sport good.
Sigma sports good.
Merlin good.
Tredz good.
SJS fine.
Evan's a bit weak.

DoctorFish | 4 years ago
1 like

I've not had a problem with any of anyshops that I have used.  SJS is the best for those bits that no one else sells.  wiggle's return system is really simple on the rare occasion that I've needed to use it.

DoctorFish | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've not had a problem with any of anyshops that I have used.  SJS is the best for those bits that no one else sells.  wiggle's return system is really simple on the rare occasion that I've needed to use it.

DoctorFish | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pommers | 4 years ago
0 likes

Well, first comment I post, in which I complain about a shop, so not the best start, but honestly they just provided the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

I bought a pair of cycling shoes (Northwave GT, so not cheap) from them, and the address was missing the apartment number. FedEx stated that the delivery was completed, although I never got the package.

Merlin does not want to help at all: they need to start a claim with FedEx, but they will not even answer my emails or calls. They just will not help, as they say once the package shows as delivered, they will do nothing more. They will not start a free claim to help me find my package, that's how bad they are, they will not take five minutes just to ask Fedex to start an investigation!!

Gema, from sales support is the worst customer representative I have had the bad luck to deal with. Be advised, if you have any issue, this people will leave you to rot, with no money and no order to show for.

Loved them up till this order, hate them to bits now, I don't understand why they won't help. Anyway, I hope nobody goes through this and all your packages are really delivered.

CRC/Wiggle, Planet-X, & SJS have always provided great service in my opinion. It has been years since I ordered from Evans, but they were always really responsive and helpful (they helped me get a replacement helmet after a crash in a record time)

WDG replied to Pommers | 4 years ago
2 likes

Pommers wrote:

Well, first comment I post, in which I complain about a shop, so not the best start, but honestly they just provided the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

I bought a pair of cycling shoes (Northwave GT, so not cheap) from them, and the address was missing the apartment number. FedEx stated that the delivery was completed, although I never got the package.

Merlin does not want to help at all: they need to start a claim with FedEx, but they will not even answer my emails or calls. They just will not help, as they say once the package shows as delivered, they will do nothing more. They will not start a free claim to help me find my package, that's how bad they are, they will not take five minutes just to ask Fedex to start an investigation!!

Gema, from sales support is the worst customer representative I have had the bad luck to deal with. Be advised, if you have any issue, this people will leave you to rot, with no money and no order to show for.

Loved them up till this order, hate them to bits now, I don't understand why they won't help. Anyway, I hope nobody goes through this and all your packages are really delivered.

CRC/Wiggle, Planet-X, & SJS have always provided great service in my opinion. It has been years since I ordered from Evans, but they were always really responsive and helpful (they helped me get a replacement helmet after a crash in a record time)

If the parcel wasn't delivered how do you know they got the address missing the apartment number?

MB replied to Pommers | 3 years ago
0 likes

Found Merlin great over several purchasers during lockdown & about 10 zillion times better than the supposedly high end self loving Rapha, who frankly are as bad at customer service as they are slick at marketing.

Jigzy99 replied to MB | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a great experience with Rapha. The next day delivery on a near £200 pair of bib tights did not arrive and they said that the parcel appeared to be lost. They refunded me straight away.  I did the decent thing two days later when they turned up and emailed them to let them know.  The response was 'have a free pair of bib tights on us'.  Also had good service from Merlin and Hunt Wheels but poor from Swinnerton who have a very short return period (14 days) even on unopened parts.

bikercat | 5 years ago
0 likes

Used Merlin lots but after my LBS (which I mainly used for maintenance) closed I decided to only use shops or at least internet retailers with a decent high street presence. So it’s mainly Evans Cycles for me. Have had excellent service, easy returns and their prices are competitive.

Stratman | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don’t thinking I’ve had bad service from any of the above.  I’ve found Evans good, and I like their click and collect.  But a special mention for Hunt.  There was a missing skewer, which they sent immediately with a few freebies to compensate.  Then the tubeless tyre was losing pressure. I guessed that it just needed more sealant so asked which brand as I wanted to use the same one.  They sent me a big bottle.  Now I need to change my frame as it’s cracked, and the replacement has different axles.  Asked which adaptors I’d need, they’ll send them.  So all in all great response with great communication.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
2 likes

I buy from all sorts of shops, depending on what I’m after and what people are charging.

You can’t beat SJS for stocking random knick knacks and spare parts.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

Brought a bike frame from a site called fat birds. Well good customer service

Spangly Shiny replied to AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

SpikeBike wrote:

I also bought a frameset from them. Sales service was excellent however after sales service was non-existant. The reason I say this is that I asked them for information about getting replacement decals for my frame (Lynskey) and all I got was an email acknowledging my request.

AfterPeak replied to Spangly Shiny | 5 years ago
0 likes
Spangly Shiny wrote:

SpikeBike wrote:

I also bought a frameset from them. Sales service was excellent however after sales service was non-existant. The reason I say this is that I asked them for information about getting replacement decals for my frame (Lynskey) and all I got was an email acknowledging my request.

On the phone they were good but didn't email. No I think about it one thing I was annoyed about is that they didn't keep spare hangers for the frames they stock which I thought was strange.

Natrix | 5 years ago
0 likes

Always had great service from CRC, Wiggle, and Merlin. Planet X have been good, but am a bit wary of them these days, possibly unwarranted.

By far the worst customer experience has been with Raleigh, absolute bunch of *!$***s, avoided ever since.....

jacknorell | 5 years ago
2 likes

Surprised Sigma Sports not mentioned yet, great to deal with

MrGear replied to jacknorell | 5 years ago
2 likes
jacknorell wrote:

Surprised Sigma Sports not mentioned yet, great to deal with

They get plenty of business from me because I live opposite their shop!

Also it has to be said Evans combination of online shopping and high street stores is pretty hard to beat.

Jimmy Ray Will | 5 years ago
0 likes

I like Merlin too.

I try to avouid CRC Wiggle and Ribble these days, but thats nothing to do with service, just how the shareholders of that company are destroying CRC in Ireland for the sake of a few bucks.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I've found Merlin really good too.

Wiggle is my top supplier though, I sent them an email a couple days ago about a pair of DHB Aeron Speed bib shorts I bought two years ago, the colour has faded quite a lot and asked if they were in warranty.

They said they are out of warranty and out of the return period, but they sent me a brand new pair as a gesture of goodwill.

I have bought a couple groupsets, a couple wheelsets and an awful lot else from Wiggle though. Given how excellent their customer service is, I know where I'll be buying my next groupset from!

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Merlin have always been spot on, as have Ribble & are both local to me.

Wiggle's customer service is absolutely faultless.

kevvjj | 5 years ago
0 likes

Wiggle, CRC, Merlin, Tredz, Halfords, Ribble, PBK, SJS Cycles. Used them all with no issues. No quibble returns with any of them too.

davel | 5 years ago
2 likes

Another +1 for Merlin here.

Got a cracking deal on a TT bike on, er, C2W last year. Decent advice placing the order, zero hassle, quick, reliable build.

Tiny, minorest, inconsequential gripe... smidge too much brake cable, but it was only a cosmetic issue which I sorted when I was switching out the bars this year. Other than that, close to perfect.

60kg lean keen ... | 5 years ago
0 likes

Used both Ribble and Tweeks, no problems 

srchar | 5 years ago
5 likes

Wiggle/Chain Reaction/Merlin all get a big thumbs up from me.  Decent pricing, quick delivery and easy returns.  I've used the Cycle Clinic a lot lately, too.  Again, great service even though they are a much smaller operation.  I also rate Ribble, although their returns process could be better.

Won't use PBK or Planet X anymore after a couple of bad experiences.

A special place in hell is reserved for Shiny Bikes/Race View Cycles.  Awful, crooked people.

That's Race View Cycles*

Race View Cycles*

* - SEO

Pages

Latest Comments