Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelset Upgrade

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have a quick question.

I've been riding on some PR2's with Giant Gravia Race1 Tubeless Tyres for a while and looking at improving general performacne and cut down on weight to help with climbs etc. So I'm thinking a wheel upgrade might help.

Does anyone have any advice on some upgrade wheels that wont break the bank. Maybe up to £500?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Ogi | 5 years ago
1 like

I have experience with Mavic Open Pro UST-s - 6,000km so far, as good as new. I would highly recommend the rims. They are fairly cheap, good quality, good breaking and all. I think Kinlins might be slightly more durable, but they are a bit heavier. They are also tubeless.

The key question for your weight request, if you want to go custom build path which I would always recommend, is to get some light hubs. Tune might be hard to find to fit in the budget, but look around on eBay. Also look for DT240s. I personally built Open Pros with Hope Mono RS and Sapim CX-Rays (as I ride a lot) - 1540g. You can also try with some newer and lighter Novatec hubs (Hunt use them).

Richbeck | 5 years ago
1 like

Have a chat with David at DCR wheels - he'll build you a set to match you, your bike and you riding style!

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

my set of carbon wheels were £299 for 80mm tubular wheels.  They have been solid, no warping or broken spokes.  I Weigh 95kg. I would buy a pair of these again when they start to fail.

joeegg | 5 years ago
1 like

I run Fulcrum 3's in preference to the 3 other sets of wheels i have that are lighter. I prefer the stiffness over saving say 150g on a wheelset. Buying again it would be the Campag Zondas with the wider rim.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Buy some Ebay deep rim carbon wheels.  A set of 80mm deep will cost around £300-350. They weigh virtually the same as standard wheels, make you go faster on average and if you damage them just buy another wheel or pair.  I have several pairs of aero carbon and my most expensive got damaged quite easily on a pothole, £700 down the pan( unless council pays out) 

Dont fall for the branded £1000 per wheel sales crap, they all do the same job give or take a few percent in performance.

Tjuice replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Buy some Ebay deep rim carbon wheels.  A set of 80mm deep will cost around £300-350. They weigh virtually the same as standard wheels, make you go faster on average and if you damage them just buy another wheel or pair. 

In concept I agree with this (I bought some Planet X R50s tubulars many years ago for around £400; they weighed <1400g the pair and have been outstanding; clearly these are well selected Chinese wheels with PX branding*).

However, given that wheels are a pretty critical interface between bike and road and somewhat vital in keeping you alive, surely it would make sense to buy cheap ebay wheels from a well regarded Chinese manufacturer, rather than any old totally random cheap Chinese carbon wheels?  Or is it now generally accepted that all carbon wheels coming out of Asian factories and sold on ebay are of a sufficient quality to be properly safe?

Quick google of chinese carbon wheels provides suggestions of some particularly well regarded manufacturers.

[* Happy to be corrected if this assertion is incorrect, but for the price, it is hard to see how I could be far wrong]

R2_B2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hey thanks for the replies.

I did some googling and have found some contenders.

Cero AR30 EVO, the Hunt Race Aero Wide and Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST or the Mavic Open Pro UST after the suggestion above.

Does anyone have any experience using any of these?

Would there be a noticable improvment over the PR2's?

Grahamd replied to R2_B2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

R2_B2 wrote:

Cero AR30 EVO, the Hunt Race Aero Wide and Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST or the Mavic Open Pro UST after the suggestion above.

Friend of mine has the Hunts and hate to admit it, but the aero benefit he gained is more noticeable than I gained from getting light weight Shimano wheels. However, after 2 years his rims are showing way more wear than mine. Given that he is lighter, have similar maintenance and we ride the same routes together makes me feel that they must be less robust. Notwithstanding that, my next set of wheels will be aero.

kil0ran replied to R2_B2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

R2_B2 wrote:

Depends on where you ride and what your current average speed is. Faster you go the more that aero benefits you because drag squares with speed. Unless you're a decent club racer or you're currently riding on a set of 3kg wheels new wheels in the sub-£500 bracket aren't going to make much of an improvement. Remember the difference between the PR2s and a lightweight wheelset is the weight of a half full bidon. Aero is more noticeable, but you need to be averaging up in high teens/low 20mph bracket to really benefit. You'll go faster cheaper by working on your position and losing some weight.

Having said all that you do have the shiny new toys factor to consider. Anything new shaves 5% off your times  1

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

Handbuilt Mavic Open Pro USTs....circa 1300g (I read somewhere), wide rimmed and you can get them for sub GBP 300 if you shop around: probably GPB 400 or if you go to a reknowned wheel builder.... You'd have to spend a lot to get much lighter than this

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good time of year to be buying, plenty of sales on.

Hunt do an Aero Sprint wheelset that comes in under 1500g that's well within your price bracket. 

Latest Comments