Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What finishing kit/how much to spend?

So looking to spec build my dream adventure bike frameset will be Mason Bokeh wheels hand built £1500 ultegra group set with the RX rear derailleur. Use is mixed mainly ~10 mile each way commute on tow path/canal country parks as well as bit of off road riding I currently weigh 83kg down from nearly 90kg.
I'm just not on the finishing kit or how much to spend on them? I like the sound of speclized crg seat post, fabric scoop pro saddle possibly the Richey wcr flared bar but don't like look of the lever position I've seen an FSA bar that look good for £200 and an FSA stem for £80 with pedals tires and accessories lights guards usb charger as dynamo hub and rack looking about £5400.
Obviously it's personal preference and I need to try different bars ect but any recommendations advice welcome.
Thanks Andy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

AndyH01 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think I'm set on the wheels to keep costs down went with the DT Swiss 240 hub I was considering the 180 hub, that'll account for some of the cost difference to the hunts. Just a question of 700c or now leaning more to 650b.

Which Deda models ? I was also looking at Richey venturemax but not sure if like the looks of how the levers sit.
I'm now also looking at 3T finishing kit as like the look of the Explora ( and Open u.p ) full bike. The 3T handlebar for gravel/adventure use is £300 which although more then I wanted to spend but could live with but the matching ltd stem is also £300 or their alloy one is £90 not sure if could mix n match. The 3T seat post is £250 ish iirc and can be set up with either 0 or set back.
If went 650b then might go wtb tires and seat?

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Hunt Carbon Gravel Disc run around £880 and weigh 1,480gr-ish. I've just bought the Hunt 30 Carbon Aero Disc which are the same but with fewer spokes and they're beautiful wheels.

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

Because you're spending more on your wheels than I would generally spend on my entire bike, I can't comment on how much you should spend, but I'm querying some of your choice. $1500 on wheels seems truly exorbitant, and simply money for the sake of it. At a budget of $5400 you could put Duraace hydraulic on (Duraace lasts longer than any other groupset I've ever used.... some components of mine are going strong 16 years on, including crashes and offroad abuse). You can find a pretty decent set of Hunt wheels for 500 quid. For what you describe I think I would stick with mechanical groupset rather than DI2 etc.

AndyH01 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah so my thinking is, it's the only one bike to rule em all/do everything, I can justify the cost as main purpose will be commuting and will therefore pay for itself in the long run, it also guarantees daily use and not just sat in shed. I also want to do more off road trail riding with the growing family wife, 2 boys aged 4 and 10. As well as weekly social ride instead of gym spinning class. I used to commute 5 mile each way daily until changing jobs which prevented this, I'm changing jobs again and gives me about 10 mile each way.

As main focus is commute that could change and mainly on tow path cycle network and parks the build is focused on this, so mud guards, racks and dynamo are a must for me over weight. I can't justify buying two mediocre bikes, one for commute and one for club runs and sods law I'd be on the wrong bike at some point anyway so rather put all eggs in one basket, with a frameset that is adaptable and versatile such as 650b or 700c wheels, talking of which, I really can't decide which size to go for out the two or what tire width??

Having done a test run of the new commute the other day, meeting a guy with a puncture and seeing how exposed it is, it'll be slippery and dark in winter, so again, thinking tubeless with sealant as doing both road and off road I really can't decide wheel size and the dymano light be Supernova E3 Triple.

No the wheels whatever size be hand built Son Delux and DT Swiss 240 hubs on carbon 30mm rims CX spokes about £1500 handbuilt.

I've attached the spec contenders so far, any thoughts, comments suggestions welcome, I agree I need to see/try/feel as many different ones as possible but hard finding local shops with a good selection particularly when spoiled for choice. I also agree and will have a bike fit for measurements and sizing;
Thanks Andy

kookenhaken | 5 years ago
0 likes

I just built last night's dream bike.  

Spent £110 after shopping around for last season's Deda Zero100.  Assorted shaped metal with some acceptable graphics on it that doesn't weigh too much and is comfortable. 

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

Saddles you really have to go and try. Same with bars, drops and flares and hood transitions all vary. 

If you're doing something bespoke I'd get a bike fit before buying anything, that way you get the right size frame and don't end up (as I did with one bike) one size too big/small. Get the stack/reach measurements from your existing bike and transfer those across, taking into account that the Bokeh will probably be a little bit slacker.

I'm guessing you'll go with Hunt Super Dyno Disc - undoubtedly the best dynohub on the market. If you're going to be running big tyres get the Supernova mount so you can minimise tyre shading. B&M Cyo Premium will do the job. Steer clear of the Lumos U & IQ-X, you're paying a premium for lights that are less usable than a top-end Cyo.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
3 likes

You’re building your dream bike... for commuting?

ktache replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

I am also building my ultimate commuter at the moment, surly ogre, trying to sort out hastles with the rohloff, or at least my LBS is.  Perhaps not my dream bike, but no comprimises.  Ti Jones bar for a start.  It's when I do most of my riding.  Also trying to ensure as much as possible that it will last me the next 20 years to get me to retirement,  JP Weigly'ed the inside of the frame, hopefully stopping the rot from the inside.  Attempting to futureproof as much as possible, and security is going to end up costing a lot.  Good luck with your build.

HarryTrauts replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
3 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Why not?  If that's what the bike's for and what the cyclist does, why shouldn't they want it to be the best it can be?  We don't all share the same dream.

Rapha Nadal replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Maybe he/she only has one bike to rule them all?  After all, aren't bikes such as the Bokeh built as "do it all" machines?

srchar replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
2 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

What's wrong with that?  Someone who commutes by bike probably spends more time on their commuter than any other steed.

OP, I would go with Deda (pick a range that fits your budget and have it all match) or Fizik if you want to spend a bit more.

Canyon48 replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Great thing to build a dream bike for, as far as I'm concerned! Not everyone has the luxury (or money) to have a best bike and a second commuter bike. Besides, when the groupset and wheels on the dream bike get upgraded, they can go on a second bike (thats what I've done :P).

Another plus one for Deda and Fizik. Deda looks great and is very affordable. Fizik is also very nice and does some more flashy stuff (they also have the Bull, Chameleon & Snake range depending on what type of bars you want).

Nick T | 5 years ago
0 likes

I hope you’re not spending £1500 on ultegra, it’s available for less than half that 

Latest Comments