Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclists palsy

After a trip away two weeks ago, ive been left with very numb / tingly fingers from compression of my ulnar nerves.
Anyone got any tips to speed up the recovery time? Its driving me a bit nuts!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

bighairydel | 5 years ago
0 likes

kiss

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

My little and ring fingers on my left hand tingle constantly after I did this... you'll get used to it!

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've had tingling in my right hand for a while on rides over about 5 miles. Just pins and needles. Bizarrely a pair of new bibs has sorted it - all I can think is that the old ones were on the small side and the straps were cutting into my shoulders. Downright odd..

HLaB replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

I've had tingling in my right hand for a while on rides over about 5 miles. Just pins and needles. Bizarrely a pair of new bibs has sorted it - all I can think is that the old ones were on the small side and the straps were cutting into my shoulders. Downright odd..

A possibility, you are sitting more comfortable and putting less weight on your hands  7

HLaB | 5 years ago
0 likes

I was finding that mid way through last seasons TT season I would suffer bad on TT's over 10miles.  I think it lasted 3 or 4 months. I've not suffered at all this year perhaps because I've done hardly any TTs  7

Sharpie | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mine lasted 6 months after the TCR, but only about a month after Trans Am this year, the difference was that I consciously told myself to change hand positions as much as possible - don't stay in one position for too long.

0 likes

Looking back at the photos taken my wrists are cocked in every one.
I'll know in future not to, as with anything by the time you've realised the damage is done.

Stratman | 5 years ago
0 likes

I looked it up on t’interweb after the first time and decided that having my wrist ‘cocked’ as I was on the curve of the drops and covering the brakes would have put the ulnar nerve under strain, so I bet that’s it.  The second time was from awkward cold SRAM gear changes with middle finger stretching my hand.  I make sure I use my index finger now, and it’s not recurred, but I’ve not done as long a ride either.

0 likes

Yeah i think its more the fact it was 35hrs in the saddle so way much more than normal and a lot of that was either on the flat tops (climbing) or on the drops (decending) and not most of the time on the hoods.
Hopefully will start to show signs of getting better soon or it'll be another trip to the physio. I've had a shitty year with self inflicted injuries this year, very frustrating.

Stratman | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’ve had it a couple of times, once when I was riding in the drops a lot.  I stopped doing that and it went.  I also had it after a long ride, I think it took a couple of weeks to fully go, but it was improving across the period.  If you’ve seen no improvement then I’d get it checked out

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Worst I've had it (after 70 mile sportive) it took two days to subside. That was the nerve supplying the pinkie & ring finger.

If it's been a couple of weeks I'd be getting it checked by doc/physio/chiro.

Recovery is usually total rest of the hands - no mobile, keyboard, or anything strenuous 

0 likes

Cheers, yeah I had it years ago but can't remember how long it took to fix itself. 

akmbikes | 5 years ago
0 likes

If it's been bothering you for a couple of weeks, then I'd suggest it's time to go to the doctor.

I think we all get numb and tingly hands every now and again but from my experience of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (the other nerve in the hand...) lasting symptoms just shouldn't be.

Good luck!

Latest Comments