Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best Value PC/Mac for quality Zwift set up

Hi all.

I currently run Zwift on my fairly standard HP Laptop with AMD Radeon R5 graphics card. 

It runs ok (ish) but certainly could be a lot smoother, however I'm planning on upgrading the mancave and thought about investing in a dedicated machine to run Zwift properly.

My  question is what would be the best value computer to go for- would (for example) an Apple TV be a worthwhile bet as the graphics/rendering seems to be pretty good from videos I've seen- or would it be better so shop around for a second hand or even new Alienware box be better idea? 

I don't really want it to run anything else and appreciate that Zwift isn't massively graphics heavy, but it seems slightly too heavy to run on a standard PC/laptop.

Any advice or shared experience would be much appreciated. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Htc | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have an Apple TV but actually run Zwift mirrored from my iPhone 8 as it gets around the Bluetooth device limitation. Works brilliantly and graphics are totally fine. Have Wahoo Kickr, Wahoo Tickr and 4iiii connected for cadence.

macrophotofly | 5 years ago
0 likes

Before you waste £200 on Apple TV make sure it is better than your current PC at (at least) the same resolution and graphics settings. Plenty of feedback in the comments (in the same article referenced above) on DC about the Apple TV only having a integrated graphics card that gets you reasonable fps at HD (1080) res which most laptops and Pcs already achieve - the graphics setting is only medium too (meaning site distance is reduced and some details are off) and people have reported the Apple TV struggles when lots of other bikes on the screen.

If your laptop is less than 4 years old it is likely to as good as ATV. If you want better, you'll need something like a Nvidia 1060 graphics card and any relatively recent processor

barongreenback | 5 years ago
1 like

If you have an iPhone, deactivate the remote and use that instead. Frees up another Bluetooth slot.  Apple TV looks great although I don’t have a pc to compare to.  

ibr17xvii replied to barongreenback | 5 years ago
0 likes

barongreenback wrote:

If you have an iPhone, deactivate the remote and use that instead. Frees up another Bluetooth slot.  Apple TV looks great although I don’t have a pc to compare to.  

Ithought that but searched for ages but couldn't find how you could do that on the new ATV's that are capable of running Zwift.

awheeley | 5 years ago
0 likes

I too run Zwift on an AppleTV 4K. It's great too - I was persuaded to get the 4K version by Shane Miller's comparison. I've also bought a CABLE to convert some ANT+ sensors (cadence & HR) to Bluetooth. So that's a little extra expense too. I thought that a better investment than buying Bluetooth HR & Bluetooth cadence and super easy. 

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I run Zwift on ATV & it's top notch but depending on your setup I'd just be aware of the ATV's Bluetooth limitations.

I have a Kickr (which is currently broke but don't get me started........), cadence sensor & HR strap which all have to connect to the ATV but it only lets you have BT 3 slots 1 of which must be the remote.

There are ways round it (use Zwift Companion app, 4iiii HRM that acts as a bridge or NPE cable that does the same) but it's just something to be aware of with the iOS platform.

CXR94Di2 replied to ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

I run Zwift on ATV & it's top notch but depending on your setup I'd just be aware of the ATV's Bluetooth limitations.

I have a Kickr (which is currently broke but don't get me started........), cadence sensor & HR strap which all have to connect to the ATV but it only lets you have BT 3 slots 1 of which must be the remote.

There are ways round it (use Zwift Companion app, 4iiii HRM that acts as a bridge or NPE cable that does the same) but it's just something to be aware of with the iOS platform.

Buy a gaming pc with a 1080 Ti graphics card.  Its the graphics that works hardest, then a mid range processor i5/7  16gb ram.  or pay a fortune on Apple and wont be able to switch Zwift routes because it doesnt allow the Zwift mod people use.

Re the Kickr, is it the latest Silent Kickr?  If so I have one also and have had some minor issues which I've diagnosed and reported, but see here what ive discovered

see here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wahoo-silent-kickr-kickr-core-faults.2...

beigemaster replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

Buy a gaming pc with a 1080 Ti graphics card.  Its the graphics that works hardest, then a mid range processor i5/7  16gb ram.  or pay a fortune on Apple and wont be able to switch Zwift routes because it doesnt allow the Zwift mod people use.

I promise this isn't meant to be a snarky comment- but can you seriously buy a PC of that spec for less than and Apple TV 4K which a quick google puts out well south of £200?

Good point RE the lack of Bluetooth- my current set up is power meter for power output plus cadence (so one channel) and Tacx Flow to simulate gradient or for ERG mode- so presumably that would be fine? My HR is only Ant+ anyway so would just run that through the Garmin I think for reference.  

ibr17xvii replied to beigemaster | 5 years ago
0 likes

beigemaster wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

I promise this isn't meant to be a snarky comment- but can you seriously buy a PC of that spec for less than and Apple TV 4K which a quick google puts out well south of £200?

Good point RE the lack of Bluetooth- my current set up is power meter for power output plus cadence (so one channel) and Tacx Flow to simulate gradient or for ERG mode- so presumably that would be fine? My HR is only Ant+ anyway so would just run that through the Garmin I think for reference.  

Pretty sure that would wirk fine, you just wouldn’t get Zwift reporting your HR on screen just on your Garmin. 

Some races a HR monitor is mandatory, depends how bothered you are about that I guess. 

shufflingb | 5 years ago
1 like

DC Rainmaker's pretty impressed with Apple TV - "Overall, this is actually the cheapest way to get cookin’ on Zwift."https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/zwift-releases-apple-tv-4k.html

That'd be the way I'd go.

Latest Comments