Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Congratulations

Congratulations to all that competed in the Fantasy Cycling games. Everyone who takes part helps make this the BEST cycling game there is.

Special Congratulations to -

Mountain Renegade who won the Standard League and finished 4th in the Purist too.

Bob's Bicyle Company who won the Purist League.

Special thanks to Dr Winston who's enthusiam has started more race discussion on the forum. I'll make an effort to join in more next season, hopefully other competitiors do too.

I can't wait for next year's competition to start again.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

jje | 5 years ago
0 likes

After winning a couple of the early races I found myself leading the standard competition and tried to maintain that for a while.  However, as tony mentions, it takes a lot of work to manage transfers consistently for a whole season - I find that particularly with grand tours. So I eventually cracked (under relentless pressure from tony, among others) and decided I'd enjoy the Vuelta more if I wasn't constantly thinking about the next day's transfers.

I have a few ideas on how to improve my performance in purist competitions, so that will be my main aim in 2019, with just the occasional dabble in (shorter) standard ones.

Dr Winston replied to jje | 5 years ago
0 likes

Agreed on the time thing. I was on holiday for two out of the three weeks for the TDF race. Very limited internet and very limited time anyway....certainly no time for planning or working out who will go up the rankings on which stage and such like. It was a disaster...thankfully I didn’t even get to watch my disasters unfolding. 

jje wrote:

After winning a couple of the early races I found myself leading the standard competition and tried to maintain that for a while.  However, as tony mentions, it takes a lot of work to manage transfers consistently for a whole season - I find that particularly with grand tours. So I eventually cracked (under relentless pressure from tony, among others) and decided I'd enjoy the Vuelta more if I wasn't constantly thinking about the next day's transfers.

I have a few ideas on how to improve my performance in purist competitions, so that will be my main aim in 2019, with just the occasional dabble in (shorter) standard ones.

tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

enrique, (who was playing this game when I started), my strength is in planning transfers, and my yearly goal is the overall season, not individual races. So one has to be switched on and consistent for 9 months of the year. It is a lot of work.

Allan, swinso put in a purist team for the Vuelta, but no standard team. Why, I don't know.

Allan Bremner | 5 years ago
0 likes

Whatever happened to the guy who led all year and then dropped out? I think his name was swinso bros or jje.

enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

I can't believe how consistent some of you guys are!  1 Pretty impressive!  1 I have no idea how you do it! How much planning goes into each race? kiss laugh 

MinardiM189 replied to enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

enrique wrote:

I can't believe how consistent some of you guys are!  1 Pretty impressive!  1 I have no idea how you do it! How much planning goes into each race? kiss laugh 

In stage races you need to do some forward planning to make best use of transfers & budget. eg. having a cheap rider who may not score points in your team could allow better options in later stages.

I always look at the actual teams' strategy for a race. Not all teams publish this but some do, you can find this on their twitter feeds or websites. You may discover that they are going to support a different rider than you think, or two riders could be sharing the sprint duties.

Not sure how consistency works in the Purist Competion, I have done well in the overall competition but my results in individual competitions aren't anything special. Possibly comes down to having less completely disastrous races than other people.

tony kappler | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks Minardi. See my comments in the "Overall Season League" thread.

I see that you are no slouch with a 4th and a 3rd in overall seson and purist. And a 5th and a first respectively in 2017. Very consistent. Well done.

Latest Comments