Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter softshell jacket recommendations

I'm looking for the above that will ideally be like a Gabba/Perfetto type but more suitable for temperatures below 10deg C down to low single figures.

Not fussed on brand. Slim build, 69kgs and 5ft8. I'm a bit of a sweater so it doesn't need to be super warm.

Many thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

TheScotsman | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bought a Perfetto convertible in a sale towards the start of the year.

I was sweaty and roasting in it (wearing a dirt-cheap Planet X long-sleeved baselayer underneath) on my 9.5 mile ride to work last week when temps started at 7C and were down at -0.3C by the time I got near work.

I do naturally run hot, but I didn't feel the cold at all even before I'd started pedalling (and in lesser items I usually do).

I also own & can recommend a convertible Gore Phantom 2.0 windstopper softshell (bought 2014) that's excellent and warm with or without a base layer.

iandusud | 5 years ago
1 like

Another vote for the Galibier Mistral. https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/

Read the reviews and believe every word. Best bit of cycling kit I've ever bought.

Richbeck | 5 years ago
0 likes

7mesh Corsa or Parentini Mossa - be different! Etxeondo Summum when it's proper brass monkeys!

Nat Jas Moe | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a RH+ alpha padded jacket, its good down to -5 to +12. Keeps me warm and toasty

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

https://road.cc/content/review/218748-planet-x-365-magma-convertible-jacket

I wear the PlanetX Magma when it starts to get cold. The body in a nice snug fit and the arms are a little loose so you can also wear arm warmers underneath if needed.

jacknorell | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you run warmish the Alpha jersey should work well.

Mathemagician | 5 years ago
1 like

Galibier's Mistral and/or Mistral Pro are both great. I say and/or as you could pick up both for the price of some of the other stuff being mentioned here.

Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone have a Castelli Alpha ros?

is it too warm? thats my fear. I'd like something more than Gabba in terms of warmth...but maybe just a wool base layer will do.

Again, thanks for any opinion.

Stratman replied to Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

is it too warm? thats my fear. I'd like something more than Gabba in terms of warmth...but maybe just a wool base layer will do.

I’ve got the Alpha jersey, which has unlined arms and a fleecy back, and the Alpha Jacket which has lined arms as noted above and is all soft shell.  I was in the jersey today with a short sleeve merino base layer.  Just below freezing at one point, but mainly low single figures and I was warm enough once I’d got moving.  I would probably have been alright in the jacket too,  but might have overheated on the way home. A Perfetto and long sleeve baabaa is also good down to a little below freezing.

srchar replied to Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

I have an Alpha ROS and a Perfetto.  I run hot.  It's only just got cold enough (at 5C) for the Alpha.  Anything warmer and I reach for the Perfetto.

I think you're right to consider a light jacket and base layer.  In autumn, when the commute is cold in, warm out, I've used Perfetto + Prosecco base layer in the morning, then ditched the base layer for the ride home.  That combination effectively gives you an Alpha in terms of warmth, athough the Alpha would be better in the wet.

Alpha ROS and Perfetto both available around the £100 mark if you shop around and both well worth it at that price.

MoutonDeMontagne | 5 years ago
0 likes

Depending on baselayers, I wear a LS Gabba/now perfetto down to about 5 degrees and am just about warm enough.

However, I've found that the Alpha jacket (the one with the double front) is a bit better for cold days up in Scotland as the lining gives it a bit of extra insulation, but its nice being able to unzip the outer fully when riding up hill without exposing your sweaty baselayer to the chill. An alpha with a Flanders LS will see me down to about zero. Any colder and its double baselayer time. 

df280 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've found the BTWIN 500 Warm Cycling Jacket from Decathlon to work okay below 10 degrees, tend to get it out when the baselayer, short sleeve gabba and arm warmers combination starts to not be quite enough.

It's not the most breathable so not ideal if you're going out beyond a couple of hours, but on the other hand is a bargain compared to some competitors. Also I've had it a few years and it's still going strong so good longevity. 

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

DHB soft shell from wiggle is good and doesn’t cost the earth, unlike a lot of soft shells.

dreamlx10 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Perfetto does me down to pretty low single figures, just use a short or long sleeve base layer to regulate the temperature, the Alpha jacket has lined sleeves and can be too warm unless its really cold

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

Recent Perfecto user here, really like it, "perfect" for the temperatures right now, once it gets chillier the Pearl Izumi elite pursuit will be worn, did me right down to the beast last March.

Stratman | 5 years ago
1 like

I’ve happily used a long sleeve Gabba (now Perfetto) for years, with a long sleeve merino base layer (endura baabaa) down to around freezing.  I tend to run hot as well.  I’ve also got an Alpha jacket that is good for even colder with a short sleeved baabaa.

Stolen Goat Orkaan looks good, I’ve never tried one, but I do have one of their long sleeve jerseys which I’ve enjoyed.

Latest Comments