Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which bike?

Hi,After years of MTB i have now turned to road cycling. I made a massive mistake in buying the wrong size frame for my first road bike,however i have completed 3 sportives on it and have now decided to sell and buy a new stead. Im hoping to have £1700 to spend dependent on sell off curent bike.

So im looking for comfort,disc and endurance riding.

I have looked at the following rides -

Giant Content SL1 Disc - £1250 -Love the colour and spec,but hate the look of the conduct system. Can i change this to full hydro?.Also cranks not 105

Canyon Endurance AL Disc 7.0 - £1349 - Looks fantastic ,however im concerned with it as its an internet sale,no free service,what if it arrives faulty.

Emonda ALR 5 Disc - £1750 - This looks a great bike which i would not have to upgrade,but is it ok for endurance riding?

Giant Defy Advanced 3 - £1499 - Same brake system as Contend,Tiagra groupset

Cannondale Synapse Disc 105 - Are theTektro Spyre-C cable actuated disc any good?

Do i spend less and use spare cash to upgrade or spend more.

My current bike is a CUBE ATTAIN SL - 105 throughout. I like 105 but is Tiagra ok.

Thanks for any help

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

ericf | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have the Spyre's on one bike. I hate them. They're terrible.

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6ft with 34" inseam and a M/L Contend with a 120mm stem is great for me. 

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6ft with 34" inseam and a M/L Contend with a 120mm stem is great for me. 

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think if i can afford it then my choice will be the Giant Defy Advanced 2.Any thoughts?

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Don't know if it helps but I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and the M/L was spot on for me. Plenty of seatpost showing but not too much. I've noticed you can generally divide roadies into two groups. Those who like to buy the smallest frame possible and have a foot of seatpost showing and those who are happier with a more traditional fit with maybe 6-8 inches of seatpost showing (I include myself in this group). 

Tbh, my preference would be the M/L over the M but you won't go far wrong either way.

cdean replied to StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Don't know if it helps but I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and the M/L was spot on for me. Plenty of seatpost showing but not too much. I've noticed you can generally divide roadies into two groups. Those who like to buy the smallest frame possible and have a foot of seatpost showing and those who are happier with a more traditional fit with maybe 6-8 inches of seatpost showing (I include myself in this group). 

Tbh, my preference would be the M/L over the M but you won't go far wrong either way.

I’m 5’11” with a 32” inseam and I ride an M/L Defy Advanced. I checked the geometry against a fit I’d had on another bike and the M/L size came up closest. I have quite a bit of seatpost showing and a reasonable amount of drop to the bars (the tall headtube means the stem is slammed). I could probably do with a stem 10mm shorter than the stock 110mm (especially given the seeming extra reach of the non-series hydraulic shifters on last year’s model) but other than that it fits very well, so I wouldn’t have wanted to go to an M or L. Isn’t it usually easier to make a bike that’s slightly too small fit, rather than one that’s slightly too large?

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

So I have contacted the shop about sizing. They said the M/L will fit,however I checked out Giant website and I'm on the cusp of medium to medium large. Should I be looking at the medium size. I don't want to buy the wrong size again. I'm 5'11 with a 32 inseam.

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

So I have contacted the shop about sizing. They said the M/L will fit,however I checked out Giant website and I'm on the cusp of medium to medium large. Should I be looking at the medium size. I don't want to buy the wrong size again. I'm 5'11 with a 32 inseam.

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got the 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2 and can confirm it can comfortably take 28 mm tyres but not with mudguards as well.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Giant Defy Advanced 2- What about max tyre size width.  From what I've read 28mm is the maximum. 

Are you going to want something that could take upto, say 38mm for the odd trail ride in the future?

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
1 like

Hi,yes I see it,love the colour of the Advanced 2. Same colour as my Giant Fathom MTB. Now do I speak to the wife..........

Paul7189 replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

RafatheRed wrote:

Hi,yes I see it,love the colour of the Advanced 2. Same colour as my Giant Fathom MTB. Now do I speak to the wife..........

If you contact them directly instead of through ebay they will proabably wave the delivery fee!

Paul7189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

You can get the defy advanced 3 for £1000 brand new on ebay. The same shop has a defy advanced 2 for £1250. I have the advanced 1 model and the hybrid brakes are actually really good. Also they come with some adaptors for mounting you computer and light on the conduct housing that actually takes your eyes off them!

gonedownhill | 5 years ago
0 likes

Canyon everytime, just for the sexy electric blue if nothing else. 

BobbyG | 5 years ago
0 likes

Any reason why you're not considering the Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 @ £1,699?

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have the previous version of the Canyon which I would highly recommend, it's an excellent bike for the money.

Mine has 50/34 cranks which is what I usually run on a winter bike. Canyon must've changed to semi compact for 2019 so like you this would've been a concern for me but I still think I would've bought it.

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Last comments from me. I think geometry, fit and liking the bike are more important than components. Pick a bike that fits you so is comfortable to ride and that you like the look of so you will want to go out and ride it

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Oh wow yea,the  R7020 brakes are £400 plus.Too much for a brake upgrade me thinks on the Contend.I think i will do a live chat on the Canyon web site and ask questions 

• Which 105 brakes are they using
  • What is the max tire width
  • Demo Days,when and where

Its a 11/32 rear cassete im after,its what i have now.

But wait.........Focus Paralane 6.9. This looks good,but for the same price i could get Shimano Ultegra on the Canyon. Seems that the only way im going to get the brake set up im looking for is to go for a  Focus - £1659

Frame 7005 hydroformed aluminum, disc, BSA BB, 142x12 mm through axle, RAT Evo technology, flat mount 140 mm, internal brake & gear cable routing
Forks Carbon, disc, 100x12 mm RAT through axle, RAT Evo Technology, flat mount 140 mm, internal brake cable routing
Rear Derailleur
Shimano 105 R7000
Shifters
Shimano 105 R7020
Freewheel
Shimano 105, 11-34T
Stem BBB Basic, aluminium, 31.8mm, +/- 7 degree
Handlebars BBB Basic, Aluminium, drop: 125 mm, reach: 70mm
Front Brake
Shimano 105 R7020 hydraulic disc, 160 / 160 mm
Rear Brake
Shimano 105 R7020 hydraulic disc, 160 / 160 mm
Wheelset Shimano WH-RS170, disc center-lock, aluminium, 100x12/142x12 mm, 28/28 spokes, 17 mm inner rim width
Tyres Continental Ultra Sport II, 700 x 28C, Folding
Saddle Velo VL-1489 Steel Rail
Seatpost BBB Basic, Aluminium, 25,4mm, 350mm, set-back 20mm

Or Canyon - £1649

Frame Canyon Endurace AL Disc
Fork Canyon One One Eight SL Disc
Headset Acros AZX 214
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra, 11s
Derailleur Hanger Derailleur Hanger for Road Discbrake Models/Inflite CF SLX
Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra, 11s
Brake/Shift Levers Shimano Ultegra Disc, 11s
Brakes Shimano Ultegra Disc
Cassette Shimano Ultegra, 11s
Wheelset Mavic Aksium Elite Disc UST
Tyres Mavic Yksion Elite Guard
Cranks Shimano Ultegra, 11s
Chainrings 52 | 36
Chain Shimano CN-HG600-11
Bottom Bracket Shimano BSA

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice on gear maintanance.

Im think im looking for the perect bike which is just not there in the price range,all the bikes im looking at need something changing lol

A - Giant Content SL1 Disc -  Reallydont like the look of the conduct system. Can i change this to full hydro?.Also cranks not 105

B- It seems the Cayon is most recommened. However i have just realised its a 52/36 chainring and not 50/34. I guess i can change that?  

C - The Emonda has a 11/28 rear cassete ,im looking for a 11/32

D - The Synapse - Again the braking system and crank (its FSA not 105) 

I really need to test ride them.I know this.

Joe Totale replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

RafatheRed wrote:

Im think im looking for the perect bike which is just not there in the price range,all the bikes im looking at need something changing lol

A - Giant Content SL1 Disc -  Reallydont like the look of the conduct system. Can i change this to full hydro?.Also cranks not 105

B- It seems the Cayon is most recommened. However i have just realised its a 52/36 chainring and not 50/34. I guess i can change that?  

A cassette is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to change then a crankset. However the Canyon has a 11-32 casette on the back with the 52-36 crank. 

IMO that combo will get you up any hill without too much trouble, in fact I ride it myself on my winter bike and I really like it. If you buy the Canyon I'd give the 52/36 a good go first before thinking of spending all that money on replacing it. 

rdmp2 replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

A- yes but hydraulic shifters are the most expensive part of groupset so not cheap
B- yes, but 105 chainrings are £45 each
C- I think the emonda has a short cage mech so officially you need a new rear mech to fit a 32t sprocket
D- see A

RafatheRed wrote:

RafatheRed replied to rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

rdmp2 wrote:

A- yes but hydraulic shifters are the most expensive part of groupset so not cheap B- yes, but 105 chainrings are £45 each C- I think the emonda has a short cage mech so officially you need a new rear mech to fit a 32t sprocket D- see A

RafatheRed wrote:

Im think im looking for the perect bike which is just not there in the price range,all the bikes im looking at need changing lol

Shimano 105 R7000 Double 11-Speed STI Levers, Pair £200 i have seen. So with the 105 cranks  the Giant it would end up costing £1500.Would that be mad even thought i would be happy with the Contend 

Not sure what 105 brakes the Canyon has,but if its the RS505 then ive only seen negative reports.

rdmp2 replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Could be wrong but for £200 likely to be the mechanical 105 shifters rather than hydraulic?

The Canyon looks like it has the R7020 brakes- real 105 series so will be fine. Btw- I have the RS-405 and the brakes are great- just the bulbous shifters which are ugly.

Given the Canyon comes with an 11-32 cassette it must have the long cage mech- could that take an 11-34 cassette? That gives you a low gear to match a compact with 11-32 (slightly bigger gaps).

I'd probably buy the bike you like the look of the best then when you've had it a while and got a bit of cash get the gearing/braking set up as you would ideally like.

Lastly- other options Focus Paralane 6.9, Rose Pro SL Disc

RafatheRed wrote:

rdmp2 wrote:

A- yes but hydraulic shifters are the most expensive part of groupset so not cheap B- yes, but 105 chainrings are £45 each C- I think the emonda has a short cage mech so officially you need a new rear mech to fit a 32t sprocket D- see A

RafatheRed wrote:

Im think im looking for the perect bike which is just not there in the price range,all the bikes im looking at need changing lol

Shimano 105 R7000 Double 11-Speed STI Levers, Pair £200 i have seen. So with the 105 cranks  the Giant it would end up costing £1500.Would that be mad even thought i would be happy with the Contend 

Not sure what 105 brakes the Canyon has,but if its the RS505 then ive only seen negative reports.

philhubbard | 5 years ago
0 likes

I would have a word with the chaps at Cycle Division (https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/sale?p=2) they currently have a lot of stock of last seasons bikes. They would be able to do a bikefit and recommend you if you can go to there store or give you info online. You could probably get hydraulic discs if you look at sale items

RafatheRed replied to philhubbard | 5 years ago
0 likes

philhubbard wrote:

I would have a word with the chaps at Cycle Division (https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/sale?p=2) they currently have a lot of stock of last seasons bikes. They would be able to do a bikefit and recommend you if you can go to there store or give you info online. You could probably get hydraulic discs if you look at sale items

I took a look at the website.This shop is 3 hours away from me,however just happens to be near Loughborough where i will be visiting in a couple of weekends.I see they do Cannondale and Scott which i know nothing about.Does not look like they have the Synapse 105 in stock and not sure they do full hydro systems.Thanks for the tip.

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

That free 6 week service at a LBS will consist of indexing the gears, inflating the tyres and, if you're lucky, retorquing a few bolts. With hydraulic discs, they wouldn't even need to adjust the brakes.

Not having it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and, if you can't DIY, use it as a learning opportunity or budget £30 at your LBS.

RafatheRed replied to srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

That free 6 week service at a LBS will consist of indexing the gears, inflating the tyres and, if you're lucky, retorquing a few bolts. With hydraulic discs, they wouldn't even need to adjust the brakes.

Not having it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and, if you can't DIY, use it as a learning opportunity or budget £30 at your LBS.

Hi,I could do the brakes,tryes and bolts.Just not the gears. I have tried a few times. Ok so the service thing is not the issue now.

hawkinspeter replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

RafatheRed wrote:

srchar wrote:

Hi,I could do the brakes,tryes and bolts.Just not the gears. I have tried a few times. Ok so the service thing is not the issue now.

Gears aren't really that difficult. Watch a couple of youtube videos on how to do it first and then start tweaking the gears. For a 6 week service, it should only be a case of tightening the cable slightly to allow for the initial cable stretching - you shouldn't need to adjust the limit screws.

It's well worth learning how to do it.

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

To be honest the Canyon would be my pick,i saw a few on my last sportive.I will take a look at the website and sign up to the news letter. But I do like the face to face contact that LBS can provide.Thanks for yours and others input.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

I can't comment on the other bikes but I also have the canyon but the rim version. You just can't beat canyon for value with full groupset. Could also look at rose and ribble even planet x but all doesn't get around your Internet buy worries. If you do go for a canyon follow their sizing advice. It was spot on for me (although I did swap out the stem).

Pages

Latest Comments