Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giants P-R2 Wheels,Are they any good?

So im looking at buying the giant Contend.I was wondering about the wheelset.Is it any good or is it worth upgrading.Im not made of money so would - Mavic Aksium be an upgrade?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

JoostOnBike | 10 months ago
0 likes

hi there, old post, yet actual as ever. Giant still sells the PR-2 wheelset in 2023. I bought my Giant Defy endurance bike december 2022. Love the bike, it is super comfortable and certainly recommend it. But the frame deserves a better wheel set than PR-2. I recommend that you have the wheels changed for some other set when you negociate to buy the bike. I mean, you pay a bit extra and get a decent wheelset. Why? Well, I didn't know this upfront and got the bike with the PR-2 wheels. They felt "elastic" from the first ride. Very comfortable, but sluggish. Moreover, I have worn out two backwheels in a couple of months; dirt/moisture easily gets into the bearings. The first wheel showed a wobble/precession motion on the cassette. The second wheel became eccentric (un-round, egg-shaped), but no spokes broken. Bearings were replaced twice. My local bike shop got tired and credited the wheel set and replaced them by a quality set. A friend of mine cracked the rim of PR-2 after two years, due to normal wear. Summary: I recommend every part of the Defy but not the PR-2 wheels. 

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi, Ok i will proberly not upgrade them straight away and run with them to see how they perform.Yea £400 would be about right for a new wheelset.

Is there an issue with the spokes then? anybody have issues with them?

C4mpy replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

RafatheRed wrote:

Hi, Ok i will proberly not upgrade them straight away and run with them to see how they perform.Yea £400 would be about right for a new wheelset.

Is there an issue with the spokes then? anybody have issues with them?

Appreciate this is quite an old post now, but I’m on my 3rd Giant and although love them, have had numerous problems with spokes snapping etc., especially on my TCR Advanced (5/6 in just a summer and a half of riding). My local Giant dealer voluntarily told me they do have a problem with Giant wheel spokes, so even a cheap upgrade may be worth considering if you have the same experience. 

huntswheelers | 5 years ago
0 likes

PR-2.... ping ping.... spokes gone.... we replace loads of them on all sorts of riders sizes and weight.... mainly drive side rear (cassette side)

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

They're fine as stock wheels go, I'd say that they're the equivalent of Mavic Aksiums.
You need to spend at least £300-400 to get wheels that are significantly better than the P-R2's.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

They're an average set of wheels that are perfectly serviceable, nothing special but you can't have everything. Adjust the hubs and regrease the freehub, should see you ok for a while. The Giant tyres are the best bit, I have the PSL2s, have done me very well

Latest Comments