Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Do you pronounce it Thule or Thule?

Ok so I appreciate text is not the best way to discuss pronouciation, but we're gonna give it a go!

I've always pronouced Thule "thool", but in their marketing videos it's pronouced "toolay". 

Everyone I know says "thool" (well, everyone that discusses roof bars and bike racks...), but now that I know it should be "toolay" I feel I should say it properly, but also feel a bit of a numpty for saying it differently... 

I guess it's a bit of a Porsh/Porsh-a thing?

There's also Sram/Shram, Schwalbe/Schvalbe, Bont-rah-ger/Bont-ray-ger, Campag-yolo/Campanyolo etc

I guess my question is, once you know you've been saying a name wrong, do you start and say it the correct way, or continue the way everyone around you does?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

Swedish - so Too-lah.

brooksby | 5 years ago
4 likes

I hate it when you have to speak a word that you've only ever seen written down and not heard anyone actually say (and you don't know whether you're saying it right).

(Not quite the same, but imagine my shame when my wife informed me that Bath is actually pronounced "Barth" and grass is pronounced "grarss" yes ).

freetime101 replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
5 likes

brooksby wrote:

I hate it when you have to speak a word that you've only ever seen written down and not heard anyone actually say (and you don't know whether you're saying it right).

(Not quite the same, but imagine my shame when my wife informed me that Bath is actually pronounced "Barth" and grass is pronounced "grarss" yes ).

A fellow northerner who married a southerner then?  4

Teaching the kids to speak will be confusing for them - is it path or parth...

I'm still not sure where Newcarstle is  10 

brooksby replied to freetime101 | 5 years ago
1 like

Freetime101 wrote:

brooksby wrote:

A fellow northerner who married a southerner then?  4

Teaching the kids to speak will be confusing for them - is it path or parth...

I'm still not sure where Newcarstle is  10 

My daughter has a worryingly strong Somerset accent...

(Fun story for my kids is still one of the first times I came down here.  My GF (as she was) took me to Berkeley Castle.  Went on the guided tour there.  At the end, she asked me what I thought of it and I had to admit I hadn't understood a word of it!)

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
4 likes

Oh and pronounce Campagnolo how you like, just for the love of god don't abbreviate it to "campy". Only "campag" is allowed. 

jollygoodvelo replied to CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
2 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

Oh and pronounce Campagnolo how you like, just for the love of god don't abbreviate it to "campy". Only "campag" is allowed. 

Cam-pan-yo-lo, isn't it?

See also: Che-les-teh.

srchar replied to jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
3 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

Cam-pan-yo-lo, isn't it?

Yes. And, it's:

Velo-chee (meaning: discontinued, perfectly functional groupset)

Bee-an-key (meaning: light blue bike that's not as pretty as it should be)

Chinell-li (meaning: Italian bike frame that can be ridden without being called a poser)

Outside our small world, people who say "expresso" should be shot, as should any non-Italian who corrects another non-Italian who orders several cappuccinos, or a single panini. There's pedantry and then there's telling people you're going to Firenze for the weekend.

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
3 likes

Come on Eileen  ...

Thule, Thule, Thule (pr. Too-lay, Too-lay, Too-lay) ray

And you'll hum this Thule (pr. Thool) forever

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

I though it was some sinister connection to the Thule Society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society

(Basically a Nazi occult society)

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I though it was some sinister connection to the Thule Society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society

Weren't they secretly worshippers of Nyarlathotep?  (Or was that just in my teenage roleplaying years...).

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Weren't they secretly worshippers of Nyarlathotep?  (Or was that just in my teenage roleplaying years...).

Who can tell? Nyarlathotep gets around a bit, what with having a thousand forms.

Funnily enough, I was involved only recently in a one-shot Call of Cthulhu game where we (the players) were playing Nazi officers trying to uncover mysterious artifacts from a dig in Africa (Curse of the Yellow Sign - Act 1). It didn't end well.

CygnusX1 replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Funnily enough, I was involved only recently in a one-shot Call of Cthulhu game where we (the players) were playing Nazi officers trying to uncover mysterious artifacts from a dig in Africa (Curse of the Yellow Sign - Act 1). It didn't end well.

Well, that explains a LOT.

Was it by any chance the satanic african ground squirrels that came for you when they discovered you trying to unearh their nuts? angel

hawkinspeter replied to CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
1 like

CygnusX1 wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Well, that explains a LOT.

Was it by any chance the satanic african ground squirrels that came for you when they discovered you trying to unearh their nuts? angel

I don't want to give any spoilers, but it was other-worldly.

3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Who can tell? Nyarlathotep gets around a bit, what with having a thousand forms.

CoC never did, IIRC.  The only game that can be played by teenagers or children where "suicide" can be a rational decision.  Ah, fun times!

1 like

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

CoC never did, IIRC.  The only game that can be played by teenagers or children where "suicide" can be a rational decision.  Ah, fun times!

You'd need to invoke the spirit of Old Man Henderson to really beat CoC: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson#Hell_on_Ice

Cyclax Maximus replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I've always pronounced it 'toolah'.

Didn't think I'd see my old mucker Nyarlathotep mentioned on here for sure!

Coming soon... Cthulhu Disk brakes and Dagon derailleurs...

hawkinspeter replied to Cyclax Maximus | 5 years ago
1 like

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I'm surprised that FluffyKittenOfTindalos has never mentioned him/her/it.

0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I remember asking them about their username some time ago - the Fluffy Kittens of Tindalos (unlike, as any fule kno, the Hounds of Tindalos) can only be summed through curves.

1 like

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I remember asking them about their username some time ago - the Fluffy Kittens of Tindalos (unlike, as any fule kno, the Hounds of Tindalos) can only be summed through curves.

Curves? Presumably curves in a non-euclidean geometry.

1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Absolutely, But which model of non-euclidean geometry...?  Strange spaces - are they spherical, hyperbolic, or some weird shape we can't imagine?? Hmm??? (I'll get my coat)

1 like

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Absolutely, But which model of non-euclidean geometry...?  Strange spaces - are they spherical, hyperbolic, or some weird shape we can't imagine?? Hmm??? (I'll get my coat)

Some kind of squirrely hyperbolic space, probably.

0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Ha! I salute you, sir - brilliant!! 

1 like

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I can't help but think that we've drifted a long way from the actual topic, though.

I pronounce Thule to rhyme with pool.

0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I can't help but think that we've drifted a long way from the actual topic, though.

I pronounce Thule to rhyme with pool.

If space and the interweb are curved, maybe if you go far enough off topic you come back into it from the other side...

Anyway: I pronounce it the same as that (to rhyme with 'pool') and always have (even in Nazi or Cthulhu usage...).

freetime101 replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I had no idea about this - could have been a very different thread indeed!

PRSboy | 5 years ago
1 like

I was bored so I looked it up.  Turns out its not actually a 'real' word like Porsche, but a name thought up by the Thulin family, from Sweden, who founded the company.

So you can pronounce it how you like IMO.  Or ask a Swede.

I would run with however everyone else says it, or you at best confuse people or at worst look pretentious.

After all, would you say "I went to Par-ee for the weekend"... 

The only words that should be pronounced properly are Italian ones, because they sound sooo much better in Italian.

SRAM is an acronym from the founders' names.

freetime101 replied to PRSboy | 5 years ago
2 likes

PRSboy wrote:

I was bored so I looked it up.  Turns out its not actually a 'real' word like Porsche, but a name thought up by the Thulin family, from Sweden, who founded the company.

I would run with however everyone else says it, or you at best confuse people or at worst look pretentious.

The only words that should be pronounced properly are Italian ones, because they sound sooo much better in Italian.

That's my feelings on it - I still say eye-key-a not ick-ear for ikea 

hawkinspeter replied to freetime101 | 5 years ago
1 like

Freetime101 wrote:

PRSboy wrote:

That's my feelings on it - I still say eye-key-a not ick-ear for ikea 

Bristolian for IKEA is eye-key-awl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Bristol#Dialect

ConcordeCX replied to PRSboy | 5 years ago
6 likes

PRSboy wrote:

it is a real world. Pythias, a Greek sailor from Marseilles who discovered the British Isles, among other cold northern places, used the Greek word thule to mean somewhere beyond the known world. Until he came here that meant the mysterious, mystical unknown land of Britain.

Its meaning is now more restricted and more precisely defined as 'north of Watford'.

Latest Comments