Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 5700 stiff shifting

After 10 years I pensioned off my Tiagra 4500 triple groupset on my winter bike (Titanium with external routing). I got some used shifters and bought everything else new, mechs, chain, cassette (all 105 5700), bottom bracket, and cable inners and outers. My LBS sold me 1.1mm gear wire (Sram I think) along with standard outer. Having put it all together I find the shifters require more of a push to shift to a larger sprocket or chain ring than on my summer bike (carbon with internal routing) which has exactly the same set up. The gear cables are routed round the outer radius of the bars, and I used ferrules from my LBS. Changing the other way is not a problem. Another shop has suggested changing to a standard Shimano road gear cable set, but I see sets on line with Optislick coated gear wires, sold as designed for 105 5800. Looking at the packaging I think the ferrules are different. Are the ferrules only compatible with 5800 mechs and shifters? Can use the Optislick set on my winter bike? Will I get noticably better shifting with it compared to a standard shimano set? I have got a new bottom bracket cable guide and bar tape and want to change the cables only once. I have even bought new cable guides for in the shifter hoods so as to leave no stone unturned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

pcaley | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have just seen the page on the link below which gives a comparison between stainless steel, optislick and polymer coated cables. Certainly looks like stainless steel is the least good option. The only remaining question is whether the end ferrules in those gear cable sets will be OK with 5700.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/component/details/optislick....

Thanks for your replies

BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes

Crossed or not, many modern bikes suffer from poor shifting with standard ss inners. Even when indexed correctly, they are far from smooth and operate on a tiny margin of error. As it varies from one setup to another,  your Tiagra 4700, which BTW comes originally with Optislick inners..., may work better than the OP's 105 which still doesn't change the wider picture.

There is a good reason why Shimano started offerring high end inner gear wires;-)

kil0ran replied to BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes
BBB wrote:

Crossed or not, many modern bikes suffer from poor shifting with standard ss inners. Even when indexed correctly, they are far from smooth and operate on a tiny margin of error. As it varies from one setup to another,  your Tiagra 4700, which BTW comes originally with Optislick inners..., may work better than the OP's 105 which still doesn't change the wider picture.

There is a good reason why Shimano started offerring high end inner gear wires;-)

I guess I've been lucky - £3 Lifeline specials inners and outers plus three barrel adjusters in the rear run

BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes

Under the tape (vanity) routing will always have more friction and many (not all) 10sp+ setups won't index correctly or will feel "wooly" with standard gear wires, even on new bikes (based on often frustrating workshop experience).

You may need Shimano Optislick or even better Polymer coated wires to get it to work smoothly.

kil0ran replied to BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

Under the tape (vanity) routing will always have more friction and many (not all) 10sp+ setups won't index correctly or will feel "wooly" with standard gear wires, even on new bikes (based on often frustrating workshop experience).

You may need Shimano Optislick or even better Polymer coated wires to get it to work smoothly.

I always set my shift cables to cross under the downtube, helps open out the outer radius from shifter to downtube cable stop. No shift issues if well-maintained, even on Tiagra 4700. 

OP - good ferrules and barrel adjusters can make a difference, as do well-finished cable ends.

pcaley | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your reply. I did that before I put them on and operated the shifter with a cable installed which was pulled tight and all seemed fine. This is what leads me to think it is the cables.

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
1 like

Considering you don't experience issue shifting to smaller cogs it possible your shifting issue is why the seller sold those shifters? Perhaps a little lube in the shifter mechs may help.

Latest Comments