Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

dangerous roads

These are some of the routes with the worst records for crashes, which you may want to try and avoid:

https://dangerousroads.ageas.co.uk/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

stonojnr | 5 years ago
1 like

I think the stats are misleading,as it has a road in Ipswich down as one of the most high risk roads, in the top 10 for the whole of Eastern England apparently, yet I dont believe theres been a recorded fatality or serious collision injury on that road for a long time, and actually is pretty reasonable to cycle on for the area as a whole, it just suffers from lots of minor vehicle collisions, people pull out of side roads, reverse out of drives without looking, try to fit in/thru gaps that arent there because its generally always congested and they lose patience.

Organon | 5 years ago
2 likes

I don't mind seeing this.

jh27 replied to Organon | 5 years ago
0 likes

Organon wrote:

I don't mind seeing this.

I don't imagine that you'll be doing much cycling on the M60 or the M602 though.  It is also worth noting that green means 'most improved'.  Does it mean anything more than 'it had lots of incidents the more distant past and it has had less incidents in the less distant past'?

I remember reading an article about the effectiveness of road safety measures (I think it might have been speed cameras) - the author came to the conclusion that the data was skewed.  Many times the cause of an incident is unrelated to the location, and you some times get a number of such incident - this 'co-incidence' results in a location being determined a blackspot, you can make any changes you like in these areas (including making them more inherently dangerous) and you would probably see an improvement in the statistics.  Statistics can be useful, as a starting point, but that is all.

HarryTrauts | 5 years ago
2 likes

Central London and Birmingham look like pretty safe roads.  Whoda thought?

kil0ran replied to HarryTrauts | 5 years ago
0 likes
harragan wrote:

Central London and Birmingham look like pretty safe roads.  Whoda thought?

Data doesn't cover large cities.

OldRidgeback | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yep, there are some notable omissions. Brownhill Road in Catford sees about one fatal crash/year, pedestrians mostly as some drivers seem to ignore the existence of the zebra crossings. There have been deaths to cyclists, drivers and motorcyclists on that road too in the last fea years, but it isn't listed.

And yep, the Cat and Fiddle run is there because so many motorcyclists crash on it, though some car drivers do too.

As for what it tells us, well it's a reminder of where we don't really want to cycle I suppose.

Zermattjohn | 5 years ago
1 like

Interesting, though it's worth remembering this only will count collisions that are recorded (ie, police attended), so while a road may "feel" scary as a cyclist due to heavy traffic, narrow-ness, close passes, etc this won't show it. What feels dangerous and where a collision has occured may not be the same place. In fact, some of the roads I absolutely avoid on my bike are the very same ones I aim for when in the car, as they get me where I want to go quickest.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pretty damning for the Isle Of Wight but I'm guessing that's because of limited route availability. The whole of the usual round the island route is red.

CygnusX1 replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Pretty damning for the Isle Of Wight but I'm guessing that's because of limited route availability. The whole of the usual round the island route is red.

Is it also down to wannabe TT riders sticking it into a tree/ditch, or all the motons just as bad? 

I assume the dots on the map indicate locations of incidents. Shame you can't hover over/click on them to get more info - type/number of vehicles, casualties etc. to obtain a more nuanced view of the risk 

John Smith replied to CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

Is it also down to wannabe TT riders sticking it into a tree/ditch, or all the motons just as bad? 

I think your confusing the Isle of White with the Isle of Man...

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
2 likes

Some classic routes are on there - e.g. Cat and Fiddle is rated as "black run".  Mostly due to motorcyclists losing it, I suspect.

jaysa | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks, interesting.

It seems incomplete though. For example look at the North Circular Road at Brent Cross in London, where a section is littered with accidents, but continues westward with apparently no accidents. Also appears to not list any accidents on minor roads.

Beyond 'more cars = more accidents', so avoid busy roads, what does this tell us?

Latest Comments